“A very average stay”

Ranked #39 of 100 Hotels in Oslo
Durban, South Africa
“A very average stay”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Unfortunately this hotel, while in a relatively good location (Not the best), does not live up to the Radisson Blu standard... The room I stayed in was well below standard. Everything just looked a little old and tired.

Service was good, free Wi-Fi was good and the breakfast spread was impressive.

Honestly though, I'd go and stay at the Hotel Continental next time as it is better located (closer to Public Transport) and costs the same.

1 Thank scottvs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed September 26, 2013

The hotel is centrally located, the staff provides good service and breakfast is good. BUT, the hotel has seen its best days and especially the rooms need serious renovation. Anyway, it seems professionally run and the overall impression is not so bad. If the price is right, it's probably not a bad alternative, primarily for business travelers.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2013

With our return to Oslo, the song draws to an end.

This was now our 2nd visit to the hotel, and I have to wonder whether Radisson were trying to mess with my head.

The staff very kindly allowed us to check in early to a room that was so different to the one that we had been given before, that I had to wonder whether we were in the same hotel. I half expected someone to leap out and say, "Gotcha!"

OK, so I'm exaggerating, but not hugely. The room we were given this time round was large, well appointed, and things like climate control had been handed back to the guest. I spent a delightful 5 mins playing with the various controls for heating, lighting, cooling etc. This was a room I could live in.

IIRC, another reviewer mentioned that parts of the hotel have recently been refurbished, so perhaps we were beneficiaries of this.

So, a happy ending then? Well, I wish I could give you an unqualified yes to that, but I can't.

On the very last morning, when we were once again going to take advantage of its excellent bus link to the airport, the hotel flipped us one last digit. The very sedately paced shower soon overwhelmed the drainage system, so that we ended up paddling in our own effluvium.

Reception was informed, but I suspect the next guest would have been doing the same.

And the one after that probably.

It's now some 3 months after the visit, and I wonder if it's been fixed yet?

If you've followed our trip around Norway, you may have noted that we stayed with Radisson a lot. Given the overall negative comments, you may wonder why we persisted. That was down a combination of ignorance and having to take what we could get. We had left things late in terms of booking hotels, and you have certain expectations of large chains. They may not be great, but they are, usually, of a reasonable standard.

Overall, Radisson bucked the trend on that. With the exception of Bergen, and if I'm feeling particularly generous, our second stay in Oslo, then I would not advise anyone to stay at a Radisson Blu.

If Radisson was all we had experienced of the Norwegian hotel industry, then we might have left the country with a grossly distorted view of it. We did have the pleasure, probably enhanced by the contrast to previous experience, of staying at another chain hotel in Trondheim.

They say comparisons are odious, but eRICA disagrees.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank John G
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My stay here was organised by my hosts, and so the initial impression was of a friendly but tired hotel.

Rooms were OK, but in need of renovation. Smoking is allowed in the hotel and even non-smoking rooms have that old smoke/musty smell.

Fittings and decor are tired but functional and clean. Beds are soft and a bit saggy, but clean and otherwise OK.

The gym and the top floor bar (great views) are OK to good, but the 'posh' dining room is dire - think Soviet office for the ambience - and the breakfast room is industrial in scale and also in cuisine.

This hotel is really geared to tours and conferences.

Staff however are very friendly and helpful. Upon arrival my room was on a low floor next to the lift shaft (very active). A call and a return to the reception yielded an 18th floor quiet room with great views - all done with helpful charm.

I attended a conference and found the conference facilities to be very good.

Tips - ask for a high room that's quiet (away from lifts) and with a sea/harbour or City view.

The big plus, however, was when I checked out. The price for two nights was less than I thought I'd pay for one night. Result. Remembering that Oslo is the most expensive city I've visited (I live in London and this is the first place that's made me question prices! Everything seems to be double London prices at least). This hotel though is an utter bargain.

Room Tip: Height helps, as does a city view. Lifts (centrally located) are noisy and walls thin, so ask for a...
2 Thank ianjindal
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 20, 2013

This hotel, well situated close to city centre and public transport, is good hotel for the business traveller. The bar at the top (Bar name is Summit) is a nice place for a relaxing evening and offfers friendly and good service by the staff.

Bavaria, Germany
Reviewed September 18, 2013

The Hotel is niceley located, close to the city center.
Everything in the Hotel is little worn out and it is heavily frequented by Bus travel groups.
The furniture in the rooms is way beyond its life and needs replacement.

The overall impression is not very nice and it is barely worth the price.

At the end it is all about the location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Good location in downtown Oslo. Close to the main attractions such as the Royal Palace, some museums, the pier and several good restaurants. However the hotel was so packed during our stay that was not only once I had to wait more than 10 minutes in line to talk to one of the concierges. The other drawback was not finding any table available at breakfast. If it was not for the crowd I would recommend it better.

Room Tip: Pick a room in a higher floor towards the bay as you will have an incredible view from up there.