“superior in every way”

Ranked #33 of 101 Hotels in Oslo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“superior in every way”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

not sure what i expected, tallest structure in northern Europe. Expected something more than a desk clerk who referred to the hotel as "twenty years old." Also, at $250 and up a night, business class definitely overpriced but i enjoyed a $100 dinner at 34 more than i have in a long time and Tore in the bar was definitely top of the line. Not sure i'd stay there again but good for 2 nights. i think it might help such a business oriented hotel to ask guests what they need or would like, didn't seem to me the sauna and pool were getting many takers, as they're almost impossible to find except when looking directly up from the rooftop restaurant. Ditto city sites, as no concierge.

Room Tip: not sure what you can do, you can spend $50 for upgrade but i didn't see anything upgraded about...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, il
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This is a huge hotel in a great location. Travelers looking for more charm or character should look elsewhere because this is a large chain catering to business travelers and groups.

We were given a business class room on the 29th floor. It was very comfortable and had beautiful views. I would have recommended trying to get a room on a top floor but there was an event (a wedding maybe?) and the event space is on the 33rd floor. The music from the event was so loud in our room even though we were four floors away. It kept us awake until after 1:30am. We called the front desk to complain around 11pm and ask for a new room or earplugs. They said they could not help us but would send security to the 33rd floor to ask them to turn the music down. We stayed on a Saturday night so we expected the hotel and nearby area to be buzzing with nightlife, but I was shocked that a hotel in a building of this size would have such huge problems sound-proofing.

In pricey Oslo, it was nice to have breakfast included. But the breakfast is a zoo, we waited in very long lines for average food and had to fight for a table for 2. It wasn't worth the stress but NOTHING is open in Oslo on Sundays.

We would not return to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Large chain big hotel - it was probably on par with what you'd expect.

But some odd things even for a radisson: no porter on arrival, room cleaning / towels just didn't happen even through they had been in the room, and they booked us a boat cruise to find out it had t been and it had sold out.

Location for trains is good, but a walk in the other direction and it's pretty shady (unsafe) part of town.

And lastly; we'd upgraded and were expecting the views of the city and fjord, but they had us looking at some office blocks. But the suite was spacious and clean (when they did clean it).

One more thing; if you want to see "Norway", my tip is head straight for the west coast, skipping Olso.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Porsgrunn, Norway
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My partner and I were in Oslo last weekends for the Michael Mcintyre show in Oslo Spektrum and decided to check ourselves in in Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel. That was a decision that I was very satisfied with: the hotel was so conveniently located (right next to the Spektrum, minutes walk from the city center) and the service from the staff was superb.
As parking in Oslo center was always a headache for us, we were relieved to find out that Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel offers valet parking services for the price of NOK 375 (24 hours). All we have to do is to leave our keys at the reception and promptly inform when we need the car to be ready.
The room that we gotten is standard, non smoking guest room with queen sized bed, located on the 8th floor. If you are one that likes to have the curtains undrawn, it may be advisable to ask for a room no lower than on the 8th floor.
The breakfast was standard, but was of a good variety. The only issue we experienced when we headed to the restaurant in the morning for our breakfast was that there are so many people! There are long queue to enter the restaurant, long queue to get the food and almost all of the tables are filled, we had to sit at tables located outside of the entrance. However, I had to recommend on the service of the staff: they are fast to clean up the used dishes, replenish the food and drinks and while the restaurant was packed full of hungry guests.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Zing L
Koping, Sweden
Reviewed October 15, 2013

After staying previous night at Park Inn I stayed one night at this very conveniently located business hotel. Breakfast was sumptuous, other than that not much difference between Park Inn and this hotel. Considering the tariff difference, one could opt for Park Inn if on a economy budget and willing to travel 1 km more. The bar at the top floor has a nice view over Oslo city, recommend it!

Room Tip: Check-in at peak hours could take time; there is an express check-out facility. Use it if you're...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel is a great place to stay while visiting Oslo. Easy to walk to favorite locations and also close to public transportation. Our room had a great view of the harbor area, and although the room was not huge by any means, it served our needs well.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Concord, New Hampshire
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

The Radisson Blu is outstanding, centrally located, clean, friendly, and all the amenities that one could want. It is connected to the central train and bus stations. The hotel is only about 30 meters from the train station and approximately 40 to 45 meters from the bus station. (Beware that the walkway gets rather grungy late at night and even worse on weekends. Oslo is very clean, but the walkway and bridge are the exception. Dog waste, food, food wrappers and other item of different degrees of filth are on the walkway toward the hotel- simply look at where you are walking- it is still the best way to the hotel.)

The Radisson itself, is spotlessly clean, modern, and in an excellent location to get to almost any place in the center of Oslo. It was my first time in Oslo, and when I checked in the lady at the desk was extremely helpful and took time to review the local transportation, sights, and mentioned some of the events for that the weekend.

I stayed on the 32nd floor and had a good view. The room was spacious, the bed was very comfortable, and everything was in good working order. It was extremely quiet on the floor and elevator was very fast getting to and from the floor. Although I never watched any, I was told all movies were free. I am not sure if that was just that weekend or at all times.

The breakfast is one of the best I have experienced at any hotel. Each morning the same lady, Ana Paula, greeted me and had my tea waiting for me before I had my first dish. The food, particularly the salmon and the breads were very good and setting was very quiet.

I had one miner issue. When I arrived at the hotel I wanted to get some dinner. The lady at the desk suggested that it would be fastest to go to the 34th floor and get a light meal there. I left my bags in the room and went directly to the 34th floor, by that time it was 10:30. The hostess told me the kitchen had just closed for the night and suggested that I go to one of the surrounding restaurants. I was surprised that they could not have made a salad 30 minutes prior to their stated closing time.

I highly recommend the Radisson Blue Plaza, as I would not hesitation staying there again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo