“The best art museum in Oslo”

National Museum - National Gallery
Book In Advance
More Info
$50.80*
and up
Visit Oslo Pass
Ranked #7 of 399 things to do in Oslo
Reviewed February 28, 2014

I think this is the best art museum in Oslo, but that of course is my personal view. I like it because it has art from many periods and a huge number of painters and artists. My favourite is the big national romantic paintings, it makes me want to go hiking in the mountains.

1  Thank Eivind S

Reviewed February 24, 2014

There's an interesting couple of hours to be spent here seeing the changing face of Norwegian art and a smattering of important 19th and 20th Century European artists as well. And of course, there's the Munch...

1  Thank bps-uk
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Before I say anything else I need to preface this and say I have never really had much time for art galleries, however having a couple of hours to kill and realising this was free with the OSlo Pass we decided to go and see Munch's Scream, what we never expected to see were works by Matisse, Manet, Degas, Picasso, Gauguin and of course Munch himself! to be honest was a bit disappointed with 'The Scream' instead we found some of Munch's other works to be far more fascinating. We were there in a Wednesday morning in Feb and were probably 2 of only about 30-40 people in the whole gallery so was great to get around.

1  Thank Philip R
Reviewed February 12, 2014

WE came here in January 2014, and thought that it would be crowdy. But, surprisingly, there were not so many people, and the rooms with paintings were just great! Rooms are divided by periods and don't have many works in each, so you don't get oversaturated - just when you're ready to see the "next period" - there is another hall with a new portion of paintings. We spent here about 4 hours, just walking around works of Munch, Dali and other famous painters. Also there are a lot of temporary expositions, for example, when we were here, there were a room, showing a history of Norwegian snow sports, dedicated to Sochi Olympics. Also there is a statue of the Thinker by Auguste Rodin.

Also a little bonus for all Russian visitors - there is a room with traditional Russian icons from Novgorod, Tver and ect.

One more thing - if you bought a ticket for this gallery, you will not have to pay to visit The museum of decorative arts and design - just show your ticket at the entrance.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

I went in August and was very excited, having heard many good things about the museum. There was a long line, and I was tempted to just skip out on the museum entirely. But I decided to wait, which didn't take too long, and it was completely worth it.

The building is understated, yet beautiful. It is also an ideal size for a museum: big and comprehensive, but not overwhelming. And it houses a wonderful collection of art, including its resident galleries of Norwegian artists, which are simply phenomenal. I am not an art enthusiast, but the paintings are brilliant. They often depict the natural and grand landscapes of Norway, which are so easy to get lost in awe as a viewer! And the Munch exhibit is very well laid out. It follows a somewhat chronological ordering of his works, which highlights the progression and themes of works. There are many helpful descriptions that put his works in context of his life.
I highly recommend this museum, for both art enthusiasts and the general tourist (like myself!).

2  Thank reptartar