“Excellent hotel close to "everything" in downtown Oslo”

Clarion Collection Hotel Savoy
Ranked #32 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed July 15, 2009

I stayed at the Savoy for a few nights in June. A hidden gem in downtown Oslo. The room I stayed in was very spacious, and so was the bathroom. King size bed and combined shower and tub in the bathroom.

The staf: Excellent! Big smiles, very friendly and helpful!

Location: Next to the National museum in Oslo. Close to restaurants, the main street, just a few minutes walk to the Oslo fjord and the beautiful Aker brygge area.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Bbldsh

Reviewed June 14, 2009

I had a courtyard room on the top floor because I asked for a quiet room, which it was. Service at the front desk was always with a smile and they accomplished all of my requests (BTW, clean laundry is retained at the front desk rather than delivered to the room). The gym is a block away and has all the equipment you could ask for. The price was excellent by Norwegian standards given the central location. Since I had hosts, my only dining experience was at the inclusive buffet breakfast which provides the basics including an American style hot breakfast. Set your expectations properly at a nice 3 star business/travelor hotel (i.e., you shouldn't expect to stay in the room very much so get over the basic look and feel) and enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 29, 2009

Ever one should visit Norway its amazing there is so much history here I loved it.
The hotel we stayed at was called the Savoy by quality hotel and is in a perfect location your close to the underground buses tram taxies and airport shuttle service, shops bars café ,s one museum is right next day another round the corner 10 min walk and your on the water front, the castle is just another 10 mins away, The kon-tiki museum is just a short boat trip away as is the site of the world famous FRAM boat that sailed of to one of the pole in on 14th 1985.On nearly ever corner is something of interest to see.
How ever the down fall is the food & drink is very expensive and I mean expensive we only ever had the starter course & two glasses of wine in any of the restaurants we ate in but this was more than enough as the portions are huge, and this would cost around £50 quid, we once stopped for coffee and cake in the afternoon at a cost of £12.50. So make sure you fill up on breakfast at your hotel.
Our hotel was spotless the lift is a little small but it works my room was facing the lift but I never heard it at all.
Our rooms were tiny the beds have a like a extra mattress on them with loads of bedding all folded up at the base. You make your own bed furniture is dark wood & quite old but very quant there is a basket of peanuts crisp etc & few bottles of juice/ sprits in the room fridge but they cost £3.00 for the tiniest bottle of water & £4.00 for a bag of crisp there is a price list. There is tv but all channels are non English.
The windows are also very high up so I could not see out of mine unless I stood on a chair.
Now the bathroom is odd there is like a piece of frosted glass in there if you open it you will see 100,s of pipes , but this shaft runs through the whole of the floors which means you can hear what the person in the next room above & below is doing and I mean everything all bathroom motions ,spiting sexually acts etc. BEST thing I found was to keep this door shut. The bathroom its self was clean but could have done with some updating. I had no problem sleeping as its in very quite spot.
Breakfast was amazing there was so much choice and we had three helpings every morning the breakfast room which doubles up as the restaurant in the evening ( the transformation is astounding in fact we thought we had come back to the wrong hotel 1st night) facers on the road so you have windows round two side of you allowing the morning sun in plus if like me your people watcher you can enjoy breakfast while people watching.
There is a bar area which is small but very comfy to comfy as I almost fell asleep in there.
I recommend this hotel for it.s fantastic location the breakfast the bar area and its cleanness but not for the rooms there not very plush, if you want 5 star then you must expect to pay a much higher price.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2009

Location
The location of hotel is quite good, approx. 10 minutes to the harbour.

Restaurant
The restaurant of the hotel should be one of the best in Oslo (recommended by a local colleaque) but I didn't tried it personally.

The food at breakfast was very good (fresh scrumbled eggs, fresh bread). The coffee was only available in a can for self service which I don't like.

Service:
The service at the reception desk was quite friendly. Other service I could not get due to self service at the breakfast. Even cups and plates, spoon ... had to be taken myself. Therefore a lot of ways to go before having breakfast.

Rooms
My room was quite small. The mattress was to soft to have a relacing sleep. Outside the window there was a light the whole night long and a continuous noise (i kind of hum which I could not exactly find out where it came from - maby a machine at the ground of the corona).

There were no German TV channels.

The bathroom showed some damages (light in the ceiling and soap spender) and had no towel for the floor to stand on without shoes after having a shower.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 28, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 4 days in May 2009. Everything was just perfect. Very nice rooms and the service was outstanding. Everyone smiled and gave us the best service we have ever experienced. We recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2009

This is a bit odd looking hotel, from a lobby/bar and from a room perspective, because decoration is special, at least. However, staff is really friendly, location is downtown, breakfast is complete and healthy, and the best: included in the price you have not only the breakfast, but a light evening buffet in the loft that it's worth for money (taking into account how expensive Norway for a non-Nordic citizen is).

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 21, 2009

I picked this hotel at first because of the location. It is centrally located between the pier and the train station, both within walking distance.
When I checked in, I was not feeling good because of the long flight and my feet hurt from the walk through the airport, then to the train, then to the hotel. Instead of brushing me off when I told them how exhausted I was, the front desk girl upgraded me to a bigger room for free with a big bath tub to soak away my sorrows.
There is also free breakfast, free afternoon snack and free lite evening meal. Internet access is also free either through your laptop on the computer in the upstairs lounge. There are even free movies on the flat screen in the lounge.
On my second night there, I came down with the flu and was very sick and the staff gave me ice packs, headache pills and made sure I was ok. When I finally got better, they had the cleaning lady come give my room a once over.
When I went to check out, I didn't have a printer and couldn't get my boarding pass. The girl at the front desk was able to go above and beyound and print it out for me.
They made me feel like part of the family.

As a tip to save money, buy an Oslo pass, they come in 24/36/ and 72 hour passes and get you free transportation on everything even the ferry and into almost all musuems. What isn't free with the card is discounted but with the card I never paid for anything.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo