“Almost a four”

Clarion Collection Hotel Savoy
Ranked #34 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed May 13, 2012

The overall rating for this hotel is almost a four. There are, however, a couple of things that bring the rating down: (a) some rooms are unbearably noisy due to the tram that runs close to the hotel. I asked for a quite room and was given a nice large facing the street. When talking to the front desk about this I was advised to get earplugs from the reception; (b) due to some mistake with the laundry there were no large towels in the room and the front desk did not mention this when I checked in; (c) the breakfast was included which was good. Less good was that the breakfast was not very nice. Some items were okay, but some were laid out in a way that made them not look very appetizing.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the street
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank GothenburgProfessor

Reviewed May 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the hotel on our return from a cruise in the early morning (lot before the check in time). The front desk was kind enough to accommodate us and give us the room.
The light evening dinner was excellent included salads, soup, cold cuts and variety of breads.
Since our flight was early the next day and the restaurant serving the complimentary breakfast was not open , the front desk had arranged with the kitchen to pack us sandwiches to take with us.

I would recommend this hotel to anybody staying in Oslo.

Room Tip: Best value for money in an expensive city.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RNPai
Reviewed May 8, 2012

We stayed here in April 2012. I have to say that this was one of the best European hotels I have stayed in, for value , friendly service and cleanliness. Nothing was too much trouble for the friendly and helpful staff. Breakfast was fantastic . The staff always greeted you with a smile, offering assistance where necessary. Great range of fresh food available , beautiful breads range of cereals juices , fruit yoghurt, continental meats etc , eggs bacon - anything you want. The evening buffet on the top floor was also a great way to save money - plenty of fresh produce both hot and cold and was a great alternative to eating out which is so expensive in Oslo. Reception staff went out of their way to advise on sightseeing and transport options. Rooms and public areas were spotless and the bathroom was huge, newly renovated and had a beautiful heated floor. The position was good, away from the bustle of downtown (station area) of Oslo . Just a short tram ride (no 18 or 11, get of at Tulinlokka or short walk of one block from National theatre station). Very impressed.

Room Tip: Our room faced the national art museum and tram route. IT was quiet and I think these ones were newl...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cats63
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Stayed at this hotel a couple of times; love the decor in the rooms.. Really old-fashioned, spacious hotel rooms.. High ceilings, huge windows.
Unfortunately the view is only to the neighboring office building.. =)

The wine bar next door (with an entrance thru the hotel lobby) is a small, but cozy place with reasonable prices and a good selection of wines.
Breakfast was good, but I loved the evening meal in the attic.. A varied menu with a different warm course every evening, and a friendly staff.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mikael J
Reviewed March 23, 2012

We stayd there for a night out (St. Patrics day ;-)) together with another couple. We stayd at a superior room, very big and modern room. The bathroom was not big. It was very clean. At one side of the hotell there is a tram that make som noise, the street is busy too so at that side (southside) you have to expect some noise. It's the middle of a busy city senter. Stay away from room 512 and its neighbours becouse of all guests that are visiting the free eveningfood/coffe aera at the top floor have to pass your door, and some people do not think about others.......

The restourant at the groundfloor is quite good and i didn't miss anything at the ecologic breakfast.

Room Tip: see main text
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Booked a room to stay over night in Oslo as I was attending a conference. At check in I was asked if I wanted to upgrade from my standard single room reservation for a reasonable small amount of money, but I didn't. The room was quite OK with a double bed, but the carpet on the floor looked dirty. I prefer wooden floor. The bathroom was the most tiny I have ever seen, and I found the towel with dark stains. Luckily there were double set of towels, so I used the other one. Nice flat screen TV. The rate included free WiFi and breakfast, which was buffet style and included bacon and eggs. Check out was smooth.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main street where the tram is quite frequent.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 15, 2012

I stayed one night for business. I travel overseas frequently and usually stay in the usual US branded chains. I must compliment and thank all the hotel staff for their loverly friendliness. The Ukraninan lady serving the buffet was also a loverly person, and made me feel like I was at home - rather than a hotel. By the way, the evening buffet was perfect and in such a relaxed atmosphere. Maybe its a Nordic thing, but it was very much appreciated. On the down side, bathroom was a little too small (wet room style) and the noise from the trams was too loud for me, but despute this, I found my stay extremeley pleasurable - so thank you!

Room Tip: We are all different with different needs, so hard to say!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business