“Apartment nice, Service moderate”

and 1 more site!
Gruner Apartment Hotel Oslo
Ranked #17 of 34 Specialty Lodging in Oslo
Reviewed September 1, 2012

First I want to say, that the apartments are very well well equiped (mostly IKEA-stuff) and clean in general - at least if you are not too nit-picking. The used towels and unpacked soap of the last visitors were still in the bathroom, but I think that was just an oversight. I mean, it is not the Ritz-Hotel... The location of the building is very good, tram/bus stations are very close by, you could also walk to the city center in about 15 minutes.
What really disturbed me is the check-in process. I tried to send my arrival time to the team in advance, as required during the online-booking process. I also had some questions regarding towels and bed linen availability (were available!). I did not receive any answer, I do not really know why they provide an e-mail adress as contact if they just ignore it. When you arrive at the front door of the building, there is a phone number to call for check in. Check in is possible from 2pm to 2am. Inbetween, there is no one available and no chance to store your luggage. I mean, this is OK, but it would be better to know about that before you arrive. When I finally came back and called at 7pm, there was someone available immediately, but rather unfriendly.
Another difficulty is that it is really noisy in front of the door because of the traffic, and it is difficult to do the required phone-call for check in and understand everything.
W-Lan was available but did not work (I could log in but nevertheless not go into the internet).
Nevertheless, with the knowlege I have now it would be easier the second time and I would go there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Gruner Apartment Hotel Oslo

Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 2 weeks, the apartment is quite self serviced, very spacious, fully equipped kitchen, ideal for long stay. Kiwi and rimi supermarket just across street, tram station just 3mins walk. Very central located, Compare to the expensive living cost in oslo i would strongly recommend this hotel. Wifi works good, also free self service laundry, honestly nothing much to complain. Great thing is it has 6persons room, for family is great

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank vivienchien
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We booked this hotel, since we were 7 all together visiting Oslo and it was actually cheaper to book apartments than the cheapest hostel! Check-in is not the way how you picture it in hotels, but you have to call a number and the 'reception' is an office. Putting this aside the owner greeted us, he was very friendly and since we arrived a bit early, he made sure we get a room ready! Online we booked a 6-bed apartment with an extra bed and we actually got 2 separate apartments (which worked out well for us). Some people mention the area where the hotel is, well for us it was perfect, i never felt unsafe while in Oslo, and a pub close by was actually an advantage! It's a couple of stops with the tram from the center, but it's also a nice 15-minute walk. The apartments were in great shape, we definitely had more space than in a tiny hotel room and we could prepare our own food, which let's be honest in Oslo (or Norway) comes handy. We had no complaints whatsoever, we would definitely come back and looking forward to that :)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We got back today after a 3 night stay at the Gruner apt. We originally booked and paid for the Chateau apts but were told we were moved to Gruner apt. When we got there we met two other couples waiting to get in. The first young couple said they had been waiting for 2 hours. Eventually the cleaning girl appeared on the street to take our details. I asked her to let us inside the building as it was hot and we had our two young children with us. I explained that we had been travelling for the last 5 or 6 hours and we just wanted our apt and that it was absolutely ridiculous that there is no reception area. She was apologetic but just explained she was the cleaner, even though she showed us to our apt and gave us our key. That was the last we saw of her or any other staff for the rest of our stay. Our apt wasn't the cleanest. Floor was dirty, the bedrooms were very small, extremely sparsely furnished. We had 3 spoons, 2 plates between 4 of us. No tea towel was supplied. There was a used scrubber by the sink which I think we were expected to use to wash dishes. The rooms are only cleaned after 7 days, ours was a mess after 3 days and not even a sweeping brush to keep the floor clean. The shower was a dribble and just about hot and no fan in the bathroom. I would not stay here again. It is absolutely absurd that they let travellers to show up and no-one to let them in. I cannot believe it has gotten so many good reviews. The only positive thing about it is that it is easy to walk to the city centre from here and the supermarket is very close. Beware if booking through bookings.com as they seem to move people without notifying them and also charged the money upfront.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Banba706
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I hate to arrive at a hotel and being told that the hotel is overbooked. How can it be since I booked it months ago. In this case was a great thing for us, since the area is not a great one: a lot of noise and traffic. In fact is a Turkish neighbourhood with plenty of Turkish restaurants. Since the Gruner building was overbooked we got an apartment at Chalet building, not far away from the booked one.This area was a quiet one, not far away from the city center, the apartment also great, big kitchen with all the facilities that you need, the bathroom and the entire apartment cleaner than we expected, big fat TV and couch. Here another inconvenient: the parking place. You have to be very lucky to find a place. And if you park your car under 5meters from the corner curb you will get a 500Nok fee. And the guys with the fees are night and day there. We knew that we have to call the person to come and give us the key but it was hilarious since the guy was in the building(at Chalet). It would have been easier to call him at the door instead of calling him on roaming.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lizy_10
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Apartments are conveniently located three tram stations from the Central Station. There is adequate security and does serve as a deterrent to some of the questionable people who are sometimes hanging around on the street drinking at bars nearby. The apartment is very comfortable and has all the facilities for cooking, sleeping, watching TV and WiFi. The major problem I had with the apartment is that there is no receptionist, The directions i was given to the apartments was confusing and that you have to call them to make sure they are they when you arrive.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank traveljastyle
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I had a very good experience at Gruner, unlike some other reviewers here. We were met upon arrival by a very helpful lady who explained all the facilities to us. No hassles, no waiting. The apartment was spotless, internet reliable, with all you need for self catering. No washing machine in the apartment, but there is a laundry room in the basement with a lady that did the laundry for us. The apartment is not situated in the most upmarket neighbourhood of Oslo, but the location is still good with tram stops, supermarkets, fast food outlets and other shops in the immediate vicinity. I did not see any restaurant to my liking in the immediate vicinity, but I was not looking very hard as the apartment has everything you need for preparing your own food. I booked well in advance of my stay and got a rate I did not believe possible for Oslo: all in all a very good value for money stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family