“Charming new design hotel right in the center !”

Clarion Collection Hotel Folketeateret
Ranked #9 of 100 Hotels in Oslo
Brussels, Belgium
“Charming new design hotel right in the center !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2010

As part of our Europe trip we booked 3 night + 1 night in Clarion Hotel Folketeateret. We booked via the hotel's website and because we can only book for 2 online, I emailed the hotel if an extra bed was possible . The extra bed is possible for 250 NOK= 35 euro per night .

We arrived by foot from the Bus Terminal, just 10 minutes away. The hotel isn't that well visible but I knew it was in a Theater .

We checked in around 15:30 with Beate . She was very friendly but she wasn't sure the room was ready so we drank a coffee in the lobby . After 5 minutes we received our room key for our room on the 3th floor.

Our room was big and had a real King bed so no 2 single beds put together ! The room was a little bit hot and the air co was slowly sometimes . We had a separate bathroom : 1 part with a toilet and sink and the other part wit the bath and the sink. There were only plastic glasses and nowhere we could find real glasses in our room . There was a high ceiling and it had a foldable desk . Actually you can see that many guests forgot something on the desk and when they pushed it into the wall, everything falls in the wall. There was even an old TV remote in it . There was a nice LCD TV that seemed to be broken but after 10 minutes I managed to get it on . The extra bed was in the room and came out the sofa . Without bed the room looked bigger . We missed a real closet because there are only 3 hangers .

From 15:00 till 17:00, a snack is served in the Lounge on the 7th floor . A small coffee machine and water is for free . Drinks ( 38 NOK = 5 euro ) are expensive . The snack is only a piece of cake, most times . From 18:00 till 21:00, a Light Dinner is served . In the 3 times we had Light Dinner, we saw always the same ingredients and dishes . It is always one hot dish ( Lasagna, Pasta ,... ), Bread and some salads . If you go up on the stairs in the Lounge you see a beautiful decorated sitting area with sofas, luxury seats, TV and a big outside terrace !

The hotel has free WiFi available but you have to get some 4 hour cards at the reception each time . A big coffee machine is also available in the lobby with special to-go cups .

Downstairs is a big fitness with the normal equipment and boxing facilities and special bigger training machines ! You can enter 24hours a day with your key card .

After a very good night sleep we decided to have breakfast around 09:00 . When we arrived at the breakfast room ( No restaurant and open bar in hotel ) everyone came out . We didn't knew why but suddenly the fire alarm rang . We went to the reception and the receptionist put on an orange vest but she didn't inform us. So we walked outside and still no information from the staff ! We saw fire mans in their suits entering the theater. Still guest were coming from there rooms and it was cold outside !

After 15 minutes we could finally have breakfast. Till today no explanation for the alarm .

The breakfast room is very big and modern decorated. The breakfast was also from superb quality . Fresh salmon and ham, a big choice of bread, fresh eggs and 2 juice machines . The service wasn't so good but at least it was a great breakfast.

In the weekend breakfast starts at 08:00, to late if you have to catch a train at 08:11 for a Norway in a Nutshell tour !

After spending a day in Oslo we came back and saw that the room wasn't cleaned well . The dirt from that morning was laying again on the floor. So I can assume they don't vacuum ? The doors were dirty and a garbage bag was laying in the corridor for a day. Maybe search for housekeepers ?

We left our luggage for one night in the Luggage room next to the reception and because the system was down, we couldn't pay . Fortunately we came back the next day.

We arrived around 23:00 at the hotel and checked in again with Beate, she was again very friendly but wasn't sure the extra bed was in the room . Because she was alone she asked me to have a look in the room if the bed was there . This is normally a job for the staff, no ?

That room hadn't an extra bed so we changed rooms . We got again a room on the 3th floor. Our room was smaller now and had a beautiful bed. The bathroom had only a shower but it didn't matter for 1 night. And yes we had real glasses now and the air co was working properly ! Both views of this and the first room were ugly .

This hotel is definitely short of staff but that makes it charming. Even a screwdriver they didn't have !

The breakfast now was very busy and we had to ask if they refill the Orange juice machine and the fruit . And the Hot chocolate tasted like coffee .

The Location of the hotel is fabulous . Only 3 minutes from the Central Station, 10 minutes with luggage walking to the Galleriet Bus Terminal and 10 minutes walking to the Parliament and 15 minutes to the City Hall.

In the lobby - which like the entire hotel is beautiful decorated - is one free to use computer and there stands a notice " Please rate us on Tripadvisor " . You can also rent free DVDs and take some info brochures .

I will definitely come back again to this hotel in the future despite there is no room service, restaurant and bar, you can find restaurants and fast food chains in the area !

Tip : Buy an Oslo pass and enjoy free entrance to museums and free public transportation .

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
9 Thank Maxiiie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

During our trip to Norway was had 2 nights in Oslo, at both the beginning and end of our trip. Our first night was here. It was easy walking distance to train station. The room was very compact with no view. I did not realize that a dinner buffet was included in the price of the room besides breakfast. Both were very adequate. Felt like you were in the executive lounge of big chain hotels with their typical free food area. The service was good and room was clean. Although for the same price you could stay at the Radisson SAS and get a great view, larger room, and bathroom with a bathtub to soak in.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank daffofils
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2010

I stayed here for eight days this summer and loved everything about this little gem.
The hotel had one of the coolest gyms I have ever worked out in, its like a modern version of the boxing studio somewhere on the outskirts of New York.

I also love the free (!!) meal that was served in a cosy lounge over two floors on the top floor of the hotel, it also allowed me to get to know some of my fellow guests. Plus they had some kind of fancy wine-pouring-system with great Italian reds that I enjoyed greatly. Adding to that, the upstairs of the lounge had a terrace outdoors and great chairs for reading.

I loved the room. Even though the minibar could have been more exciting content-wise the bathroom was large and very high-end with expensive design-details and cool finishes. The room itself is kind of grand with elaborate, large beds, with huge pillows and a fantastic mattress.

Folketeateret is a little tricky to find even though it is in the middle of Oslo. I see some reviewers say it is not a nice area, which is not true. The area is indeed where the more upper-class west side of town and the more laidback east side of town meet, I was told. On the ground floor you have "Internasjonalen" a melting pot for Oslos media-elite. Around the corner is "Fisk & Vilt" which translates to "Fish and Wild Stuff" or something similar, which is were the Norwegian hipsters gather. 300 feet from the hotel, you have Hells Kitchen which serves up a rock´n´roll crowd and great pizza etc etc. Its a great area to be in. The street behind the hotel, Storgata, is a little rougher with the occational drunk roaming around, but check out the second floor of Dovrestua which serve up genuine Norwegian food for a very reasonable dime - the ambience is as authentic as it gets.

All in all I loved the hotel. The staff was friendly, it is brand new and of very high standard. The area is cool, the gym exciting - and there were all these little extra things and spaces I kept discovering, like the secret little lounge above the restaurant where I enjoyed some great wine and felt like I was in a private club.

Will definitely go back!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank JesperJohnsen
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2010

stayed there for 4 days
the hotel is very nice and modern decor
my room was perfect with a huge balcony on the main road
the bathroom was very nice and modern too
breakfast was good wouldn't say perfect though
but they have a free dinner on the lounge at 7 o'clock each day !
its free for everyone
so that make sthe hotel perfect for the value you get
the location is very central
only few mins from OSLO S

they are all friendly and the lady that checked me in was super nice ( pretty too )
im really lucky that i chose that hotel
and would defiantly come back

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank SUPERmash
Lars Erik S, Front Office Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Folketeateret, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with other travellers here on TripAdvisor, we always appreciate feedback from our guests. The good with the bad so we can always adapt to our guests needs.

Atlantic City, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2010

The Hotel is centrally located, only five minutes walk from the central station and Karl Johans Gate-The main thouroughfare of Oslo- The mainl lobby is a bit small but well designed. The hotel reception is very friendly and the chek in was smooth. The room I stayed in was big, well furniched and well lit.The internet is available free of charge through scratch-cards available from the main reception.Bath room is big. Breakfast buffet was good though I would not say was the best. The bonus for this hotel is the evening complemenrtary buffet which I find it very good particularly in an expensive city like Oslo. Overall, I rate my stay in this hotel as excellent value for money

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank osama22

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2010

This is not my usual hotel as a medical convention was on hence most hotels fully booked. However having read reviews, thought I would try this hotel.
I arrived mid afternoon to a receptionist who was busy on a call that lasted 5-10 minutes, so I took a newspaper and read this whilst waiting.

The check in finally came and went uneventfully and went to my room 512. The room is dark and faces a vertical courtyard with net curtains as it looks directly ont other windows, no sunlight, no views hence has a depressing air about it and in winter this must be truly dismal.

The lighting is minilmal, the room shakes periodically, I presume from underground rail line which is disconcerting. I expect this in Manila or Auckland..but not Oslo.

Having reached my room and tried to log on. I was informed by phone that it requires scratch tickets which last 4 hours at a time....why on earth do they not have the common sense to let people know this when you check in and save a lot of travelling up and down ?

It is not in a good area of town, run down, and there is no easy taxi stand.

The message light continues to flash on my phone and there is apparently nothing they can do to stop it.

In summary I am disappointed and surprised at rating in Trip Advisor as have been to Oslo many many times and this hotel by my standards is indifferent, As I spend approx 240 days per annum in Hotels I feel I can pick a good one when I see it......this is not it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank Singapore_Sydney

Stavanger
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2010

You need to stay at this Hotel when you are in Oslo. It`S the best Hotel I`ve ever Stayed in when I stay at a Hotel in Norway
The service i exellent, the rooms are great, breakfast i aabsolutely superb.
I booked a deluxe room ( do that if you want to spoil yourself) I stayed in room 712. The room had a separate sittingroom/ bedroom. It also had a separate bath and toilet.
But the best thin of all: I had my own private roof terrace with furnitures, and that made my day :) The room had a great design.
The Hotel is only a few minutes walk from Oslo Sentral station where the train from the airport stops.
The Hotel serves complimentary tea, coffe, fruit all day. In the evening they serve a complimentary meal, which i very good.
This is absolutely the hotel to stay in. I will come back again and again, when I`m in Oslo.
The only thing I missed was the possibility to make coffe or tea in you room. An the Hotel imformation in the room was missing, due to corrections in it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo