“Worst night ever but in a class apartment”

Best Western Kampen Hotell
Ranked #73 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Nord
“Worst night ever but in a class apartment”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stay one night in a nice and big apartment, and i didn't sleep !! There is absolutly no soundproofing into the bedroom, i could hear women walked in the street !! And there is no adequate curtain, the light comes into the room early in the morning... What a shame in an expensive hotel ! The mattress wasn't confortable, and the shower wasn't warm enoug ! If you want a rest, don't go in this hotel ! And you have to walk into different buldings and climb a lot of stairs to find your room...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank CeriseDuNord

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hasselt, Belgium
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The hotel is located very near the Tøyen metro station. This was the main positive point. Advantage: Spacious room, Kitchen with equipment. Disadvantage: The heating was set to hot. We could not change it. The breakfast was way to expensive so we made our own breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Zagreb
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is really great hotel. The location is really good, 15 minutes walk from the city centre. You do not need to take metro station. From the Oslo Sstation to the hotel is a nice walk. Room (studio apartmant) was really clean and nice. It was small but nice detail; there were bags of instant coffe and tea for every day that we stayed in the kitchen. I would recommend this place!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Vaxholm, Sweden
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

The location is quite good, close to the subway and busses. The standard is ordinary contemporary: some nice lighting, new materials and such. Looks new.
The room was good, but we didn't spend any time there really. My only lasting memory of the room are the lovly shower and the warm, thick air. No air conditioning mind you.
What stands out is the appaling state of the staff. They dont speak good english, norse or swedish. A mystery in a hotell. Some of them are eager to please, all of them are slightly confused. I ordered a Gin Tonic at the reception/ bar disk from the bartender. He smiled and took a nervous look around. He turned to the cappucino machine and fiddled half hearthedly. Then he looked throuh me, picked up and put back a bottle of rum andsgave me an wierd nodding smile and left. He asked a cook, searched the net from their office computer,called a friend and ran away for 20 Minutes before I could tell him to give me a glass of wine instead.
They all had this capacity to act really strange after ordinary interactions or questions. Its like fawlty towers. True story.

• Stayed June 2012
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Overall we enjiyed our stay at this hotel, but only after a dodgy start trying to book, it was not possible to speak to a norwegian speaker to help with the problem, which is odd considering it is in oslo, then the english speaking service handle didn't understand my partners english, which is excellent! He even had difficulty with my english and i am an english teacher. Room itself was fab, fully equiped kitchen and a washing machine in the bathroom, we did not use any of these but i think they would be handy for a family or over a longer period. Staff were friendly, even though again not many spoke norwegian despite being in norway. Internet connection was awful. Located over the street from the T bane which makes for easy connection to everwhere in oslo. Walking distance to grønland and grunnerløkka both popular for cafes and bars and restaurants.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We chose to stay at the Best Western Kampen Hotel because of its location and affordability. The hotel is located very near the Tøyen metro station where all the main metro lines cross and it is only 2 stops from the downtown central station. However, we only chose to use the metro when we were hauling luggage, because it was also a very pleasant 20 - 25 minute walk to the centre of town from here.

We stayed in double room which had a bedroom, living room/dining area, kitchen, walk-in closet and a washing machine in the surprising spacious washroom. This was one of the best hotel rooms I have ever found in Europe, and it was quite affordable compared to the hotels in the centre of town. The staff was friendly and the breakfast buffet was generous, if slightly repetitive after a few days. The internet service was fantastic and having been fore-warned about the lack of dishes, I had brought a few of my own which worked out perfectly. There was no central air-conditioning, which I would not expect to find in Oslo anyway, but it cooled down nicely in the evenings for sleeping.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Oslo for a few days and not needing to be situated in the very heart of the city. It's also just a short stroll away from Grunerlokka, which is a very funky and interesting part of the city.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I am astonished!
I forgot some clothes in the wardrobe of my room and ... they disappeared.
It was June 2012.
Less than 24 hours later, the hotel called me. The operator told me that they found my clothes in the room and that they were going to ship them back.
That never happened.
Now (three months later) the hotel manager is still telling me that since I do not remember the name of the person who called me, it is impossible for him to ask her/him where she/he put my belongings! So now they are “somewhere” in the hotel and I will never have them back!
How many people work in the hotel? Is it possible that in more than three months the manager hadn’t the chance to ask all of them???
I cannot believe the hotel does not have a policy for “Lost and Found”. Someone simply wanted to wear my clothes. This is called THEFT.
I have not even received a refund!
I have not even received apology!

Room Tip: The apartment doesn't have pots and pans, dishes, cutlery and glasses. So it is useless having a...