“Overrated and overpriced”

Cuisines: European, Scandinavian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 7, 2019

Dying to find a long sought after serving of traditional Norwegian Christmas food, I settled for this centrally located and very traditional eatery (which I've personally frequented since the 1970s). The place was packed with exited guests making a lot of noice. They had a variety of Christmas plates, and we went for one traditional pork plate and one Pinnekjøtt (steamed, dried lamb ribs).

The potatoes were ok. The rest was either bland, dry, cold or tasteless. Normally I finish what comes on my plate, especially seasonal delicacies, but not this time. My date declined a second serving of the lamb ribs, which probably had been soaked in water (i.e. not steamed). I ought to have made a fuzz, but as the place was about to close, the crew tired and my date and me longing to get out of the place, I paid the bill, as little palatable as the food - swearing inside of me never to come back!

Date of visit: December 2018

Reviewed May 4, 2019

We decided to go here for the advertised Turbot (piggvar) which they didn't have - a huge disappointment for such a limited fish selection. I ordered smoked duck as a starter, which was good but much more of a carpaccio than anything smoked. My wife's asparagus salad was good as was the excellent bread and butter and tiny complimentary appetizer. My wife ordered goat and I ordered monk fish (brieflabb). We both, however, received monk fish. We sent the orders back which was a big mistake! Mine was re-served cold and over-salted. Did they just give me back my old one? For a dinner that cost over 2000 kr. (250 dollars) I would have expected a newly prepared piece of fish. My wife's goat was interesting but also heavy on the salt. The cheese platter was excellent and even contained Norway's gold medal winner - Kraftkar. The wine we chose was also very good. Unless I hear that the cook stops relying on salt for taste, I wouldn't go back.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed April 27, 2019

Gamla Radhus is one of the more authentic restaurants you can find in Oslo. It is in a very old but beautifully restored building. The decoration is a mix of rustic and elegant. The menu has some very interesting choices. We stopped by here for lunch and tried the fish soup, beet salad and crispy toast with braised pork's neck. The fish soup was served with freshly baked bread and it was excellent. By far the best fish soup we had in Norway. Beet salad was very fresh, the dressing was perfectly balanced and toasted pumpkin seeds gave it just the right amount of crunch. The open faced braised pork's neck was supremely tender and rich with flavors and the pickled onions provided the perfect amount of acidity to complement the savory toast. Presentation and service was excellent. We will definitely come back to Gamla Raadhus for dinner next time we are in Oslo.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed April 27, 2019

First night in Oslo and after a superb concert at the Opera House we stumbled upon this
Old fashioned dining room that was like a gentlemen’s club.
The decor was old world and had the fine dining touch with linen table clothes candle light and friendly service without being pushy.
Our starters were exquisite with wonderful flavors
and our wild turbot was superb.
We had a chilled bottle of cava served in proper stemware and our evening was a memorable experience.
Having had a restaurant for 32 years personally the only suggestion I would make was a little background music would liven up the atmosphere.
We will definitely return on our next visit to Oslo.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed February 19, 2019 via mobile

One of the oldest buildings of Oslo houses this restaurant. They serve delicious cod with carrots and potatoes. Friendly staff and good wines.

Date of visit: February 2019