“Best meal in Norway”

Cuisines: European, Scandinavian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 28, 2018 via mobile

A real find. We ate at 6.30 pm on a Tuesday. At this time the restaurant was quiet. We appeared to be the only foreigners in the restaurant.
The decor was very restful, subdued and pleasant.
The service was friendly, knowledgable and leisurely. This is a place to enjoy your meal rather than in, eat, out. My wife had salmon tartar and hake. I had herring and reindeer - all delicious.
The wine list was extensive. We are fans of the Italian wine Barbaresco from Piedmonte. I have never seen such a choice of Barbaresco outside of Piedmonte.
We booked by sending an email and got a prompt reply from the restaurant but obviously you could try just walking in.
I strongly recommend the Gamie Raadhus.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed July 17, 2018 via mobile

Formerly city hall location. Dining outside and inside. We ate inside and the food was delicious and tasty . The wine was very good. We had a veal dish which was very good in the dining area inside the restaurant. Waitstaff was very attentive and accommodating. Decor was very traditional and a comfortable seating to have a pleasure dinner. Dining area seemed clean and the ambience was very nice. I would recommend this place for a good tasting dinner. Located adjacent to the “pointed finder statue” if you need a landmark.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed July 9, 2018

Very good!!! We use to go there twice a year to eat fish, Lutefisk and lamb, Fårikål. Typical norwegian food in November and December. One of the best places in Oslo.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed June 14, 2018 via mobile

We went to eat here after reading the menu on the street. The TA reviews were not as positive or plentiful as for Engelebar down the street, but it seemed more casual and still good, so we went here.

The food was really good. We had whale and pork neck as starters followed by Hake and veal /oxtails both served with baby potatoes. All was really good although the sauce for the veal was a bit too reduced and hence salty for my taste. But many foods in Norway are saltier than I would season, so could be a difference in palettes. The Hake was amazing.

We were interested in dessert, esp the cheese plate but were too full. Many people have complained about rude service but both our servers were friendly and courteous. We sat in the back yard bc the weather was warm and pleasant.

The cost for the meal with 2 beers was 1169 Kr including a small tip. About 145. Usd.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed March 18, 2018 via mobile

I went there with friends. What we found was an old but stylish furnished restaurant with that flair of Norwegian history.
Great service, very attentive, friendly, making jokes, but everything extremely professional.
I felt like in a restaurant with 5-6 stars!

On the other table another guests singing Norwegian song.

On top delicious starters and main course; amazing fish! And of course a good wine!

Everything Perfect!

Asas I finish my restaurant journey in Oslo, have to go there again!

Date of visit: February 2018