“Comfortable and straightforward”

Comfort Hotel Xpress Youngstorget
Ranked #22 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed September 9, 2011

I was happy to find a note on my pillow telling me that by staying in this room I would contribute to saving 100 square meters of rainforest for one year, as Choice hotels cooperates with the Norwegian Rainforest foundation. Also, I like the fact that they have cut the costs by not including cleaning of the room and change of towels in the price during the stay - better for the environment and for the wallet. The rooms are modern and clean, and the hotel lobby has a backpacker/rock feel to it. Breakfast wasn't included in the price, but I could have paid 85 kr to have it delivered on my door in the morning in a bag. The hotel is located a 5-10 minutes walk from Karl Johan, and about 15 minutes from the central station. This was the second time I've stayed at this hotel, and I wouldn't mind staying there again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
SolveigVoldheim, Manager at Comfort Hotel Xpress Youngstorget, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2011

Dear Villblomst,

Thanks for the great review!
We feel that cutting down on inhouse cleaning is a win-win situation: like you say yourself "better for the environment and for the wallet".

We're glad to hear you've been here twice already - and hope to see you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,069)

Reviewed September 8, 2011

This is a great find in Oslo, very well located - only about 10 mins walk from the Oslo Central Train station

Directions: (Get out of train station - take Nygata to Storgata, Right on Storgata and left on Hammersborgata - continue straight till you reach an overbridge... take the steps up on to Mollergata - 20 steps to the right and you are there).

The hotel is very stylish, the lobbys is nice with free internet on 2 Mac machines and free coffee. There is somebody always present at the front desk (mostly student polulatio) but they are very helpful and courteous. The room is decenltly big, stylish but simply decorated, the bathroom is really stylish with heated floors and chic accessories. The mirror rotates to reveal a shelf behind it. The hotel is very environmentally friendly. They charge 30 NOK to change towels and 100 NOK to clean the room. Since we stayed 4 nights I think we got some towel changes for free.

Breakfast is available for an additional 80 NOK if you want but one day since we arrived pretty late from the fjords and couldnt order in time for the next day, they gave us some nice sandwiches the next day on the house.

All in all I would certainly recommend this place. again - remember its a budget hotel and hot the radisson but its well worth the price. Very convineant and clean.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear ChicagoTravelerV

Thanks for taking the time to review us - and with great detail. We love it!
We're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay here and in Oslo, and hope to see you again on your next visit.

Have a great day.

Reviewed September 4, 2011

Rock music plays in the lobby 7/24.

I did get free parking in front of the hotel on the weekend!!! This hotel also had a 3 inch pad instead of a mattress. On one night someone peed in the elevator. There are a lot of 20-30s here on the weekends I assume since it is near the bars/ clubs. Checking in is not what you expect and you will see that in the price of the room somewhat but also compare the rate to other hotels. This is a bare bottom hotel . I paid $125us a night compared to less at Clarion but there was no parking there at $33 a day.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo

Dear Dillboy

Thank you for your feedback.
We're sorry to hear that you were inconvinienced by other guests, but we hope that our staff sorted everything out as soon as possible.
We're a bit confused with regards to your description of our (lack of) mattresses - as there are mattresses with a thick cover mattress in all our rooms.

We hope you enjoyed your stay in Oslo, and thank you for taking the time to review us!

Reviewed September 2, 2011

Stylish new self-service hotel in the very center of Oslo. Prices are affordable especially for Norway. Despite it being self-service, there is always some staff present (not sure if they are there at night too thou). Staff was very nice and helpful. Our room was very clean and well stylish. The hotel is kind of youthful stylish with colourful patterns. The location is very convenient, a max 10 min walk from the railway station (where the airport train arrives) and the main shopping streets (like Karl Johans gate). All the sights in central Oslo are within walking distance too. The hotel also has a roof top "terrace" where you have a nice view of Oslo. Would definitely recommend this!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
SolveigVoldheim, Manager at Comfort Hotel Xpress Youngstorget, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2011

Hi - thanks for the great feedback and recommodation.

We hope to see you again here soon!
PS: we are staffed 24/7

Reviewed September 1, 2011

This is a concept hotel and the concept - self check-in, maid service only for an extra fee, a brown-bag breakfast for $20 that may or may not be delivered - doesn't work. Dear Choice Hotels - get rid of the pinball machines in the lobby, turn off the tiresome classic rock/aternative rock palying in the lobby all day and night, and do what hoteliers have been doing for more than 2,000 years: welcome your guests, PERSONALLY, and make up the beds and empty the trash cans as part of the service you provide - not as an option to be paid for separately. And hire some adults to work in your reception area. The kids are not alright.

At any hotel, one's first experience is the check in process. When I arrive at a hotel, I am often tired, hungry, and a little stressed from the whole travel process. I like to be met by someone who is smiling, courteous, and ready to check me in, give me my key and tell me whatever I may need to know about the hotel. At the Comfort Hotel Xpress Oslo, you are met by a bank of computer terminals. The check-in process is not unlike a transaction with an automated teller machine, but less familiar, and therefore more demanding and less pleasant. There are one or two staff on hand to help if you need it, but they all appear to be about 17 years old and the young man on duty when I checked in never took his eyes off his own computer screen. From his grinning and chuckling, I assumed he was IMing with his girlfriend.

Then there are the two elevators/lifts. One will carry no more than 2 passengers at a time due to weight limitations and the other has doors that open and close repeatedly unless all passengers (3 at most) huddle together as close as possible to the center of the elevator floor. Oh, and then there is the fact that the ground floor of the hotel is actually the third floor of the building. Take the stairs.

I stayed in a small, single room. I am accustomed to the small size of rooms for single travellers in Europe. (I am in one right now, in another Choice Hotels property in Copenhagen, and I couldn't be more comfortable if I were in my own home.) However, my room at the Comfort Hotel Xpress Oslo had a couple of annoying features, foremost of which was that it had no horizontal surfaces at all. I wasn't expecting a full size desk, but there was nowhere to put my laptop when it wasn't actually on my lap. I generally don't carry my laptop around or wear it as an accessory, so for three days it sat on overturned trash can because the only other place to it was on the floor. Then there was the bathroom. It was small, of course, which was not a problem. The problems were that the light switch was not just outside the bathroom, which is fairly common, but it was behind the bathroom door. You have to walk behind the door to turn on the light every time you go in or else leave the light on permanently. You can't just reach out the door and turn on the light. Not a big deal you saay? See how you feel by your third day there. Then there is the design of the shower. Only a half pain of glass separates the shower from the rest of the bathroom. There's no sliding door or door of any kind. No matter how you turn the shower head or how careful you are, it's nearly impossible not to get the whole bathoom wet when taking a shower. Oh, and the half pain of glass is just a few centimeterd from the wash basin. You'll need to shave without moving your elbows.

In short, I did not enjoy my stay and I will avoid all Choice Hotel "Xpress" properties in the future.

Room Tip: Get one at another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Patrick P
SolveigVoldheim, Manager at Comfort Hotel Xpress Youngstorget, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2011

Dear Patrick,
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to review us.
I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay here.
When creating this concept we decided to focus on low prices and stay efficiency. We shaved off the room rate as much as possible, giving each guest the opportunity to add what is important to them.
We understand that this is not for everyone, and are glad to hear you are enjoying your stay in Copenhagen.
However, your experience with our staff is not how we want to be known- I truly hope this was a one-time happening. All guests should be welcomed and helped 24/7.

Thank you again for your feedback, and have a great day!

Reviewed August 29, 2011

The price is right and that's why I'd stay here again. Location is quite good. The person on duty is quite friendly but make no mistake that you do get lesser service in exchange for the reasonable price. Examples: Light switch didn't work so I had to sleep with a blindfold (they would have changed room but I was already unpacked and didn't want to bother), dripping noises when it rained, slow elevators, no floor towel at shower, gets a somewhat noisier younger crowd who will do things like leave alcoholic beverages on the floor of the elevator, and as they warn you: no change of towels unless you pay extra, no breakfast unless you pay extra, no one makes up your room during your stay. So I think you have to price it compared to a non-budget hotel and decide whether the savings are worth it. I would probably be willing to pay $40 per night more for a higher quality of service hotel, but in Oslo, I couldn't find that, so felt satisfied with the place despite the issues I've mentioned.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I stayed at the comfort hotel xpress Oslo between 16th and 18th August. We booked this hotel for the very, very low price of 598 krones (+/- 76 euros) and we weren't disappointed. The hotel was designed in a very modern and young way and there was somebody who helped you at the check in. The check inn went very fast and good, better than a normal check in at a reception. And then we came to the room, which was very spacious, modern and nice-looking with a good bed, nice tv, a place where you can keep your cold drinks and a very great bathroom. Only the view from the window was not the best, with a sight inside another building, but the hotel room was very good. There was also a free coffee maker at the recption, a sitting area there and a table soccer, which we liked too. So the hotel was very good and actually too cheap for what you get. And you are at Karl Johan street in no time. Also, there is a discount supermarket chain, Kiwi, at the end of Mollergata where you could buy your own breakfast. There is also a Rema 1000 at Torggata in a few minutes walk and Youngstorget with nice cafés. So, I would very recommend this hotel to anyone who travels to Oslo and wants a budget place to stay. You get a cheap room at 299 krones (38 euros) a night, if you book early at the low price calendar.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Bennovld20
SolveigVoldheim, Manager at Comfort Hotel Xpress Youngstorget, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2011

Hi Bennovld20,

We're really glad to hear that you enjoyed it here.
Thanks for recommending Comfort Hotel's Low Price Calendar - we sell several rooms at NOK 299,- each day, with rates rising on demand.
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook to get a heads up for our NOK 10 (!) sale as well!

Hope to see you again on your next visit to Oslo - and thanks again for taking the time to review us!