“Great Location; friendly service; reasonable food”

Kaia Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #34 of 141 Restaurants in Tromso
Cuisines: Norwegian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

With a view overlooking the harbour and seating outside, Kaia is well placed to sit and people watch, whilst eating a meal. We ordered a plate of peeled prawns. which were copious and perfect, followed by the Reindeer Burger for myself (very good with lots going on) and the fish and chips for my companion. The latter was not quite so good - the fish was fresh and the portions were good, but the batter a little soggy and somewhat heavy. The local beers were a perfect accompaniment and the service was friendly and efficient.

Date of visit: June 2019

Reviewed May 29, 2019

It took them a while to get us menus and get our orders. I had the reindeer burger which arrived really cold and I didn't enjoy it. The view of the harbor is nice and it was nice to be able to easily run outside once we saw the aurora. My friends had the fish & chips and they said it was good!

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed May 9, 2019

Perfect ending to a perfect visit in Tromso! My husband and I saw this restaurant from the view of our hotel room. We of course read some reviews before we decided to give it a try. I gave this place 5 stars because they earned each one! We were greeted with a friendly smile from the bar tender/server and told to pick any seat. The restaurant was about half full at the time we went. The sky was dark so it gave us a cozy view of the twinkling lights of the harbor. I ordered a beer and the fish and chips. My husband opted for the lamb chops and a glass of red wine. I love fish and chips and the Kaia Bar did not disappoint! The fish was tender, flaky and crispy. The crust had an amazing flavor to it and the portion size was very large! The fries were awesome!! My husband also loved my dinner :) He also LOVED his lamb chops which were melt in your mouth tender and juicy. The meat was so flavorful and delicious. He thought they were some of the best chops he has ever had! We couldn't believe the quality and quantity of food that came out of this little gem of a bar! Service was excellent! I highly recommend eating here!

Reviewed April 23, 2019

The best aspect of this place is undoubtedly the view. I had a window seat and a lovely view of the harbour. At twilight, the light changed dramatically and was really striking (blue/grey).
The food I have to say is just okay though. I had the Arctic fish and chips and, given the location, I really expected the fish to be better. As it was, it was okay but it lacked flavour. I did like the cone it came in though - nice presentation. The chips were rather tastless and overcooked (a bit brown). The coleslaw was a bit weird too and tasted a bit like yoghurt. The salad was a salad. It wasn't bad. It was perfectly reasonable and a big portion but it was nothing special.
The staff seemed fine. The menu is quite small but that's okay. It's nice enough inside, especially by the window. I guess I was a bit underwhelmed but it wasn't a bad experience really.

Reviewed April 7, 2019

Excellent restaurant with a splendid view of the harbor. Menu with really good Norwegian specialties. Friendly and helpful staff. Lower price than other rooms. Excellent craft beer.