“A must visit bar in the centre of Tromso.”
Review of Mack's Beer Hall

Mack's Beer Hall
Ranked #11 of 139 Restaurants in Tromso
Description: Traditional beer cellar in Tromso city centre connected to Mack Brewery. Open Monday-Friday 9am-6pm (Saturday 9am-3pm)
Reviewed April 23, 2019

A charming German-style bierhalle. Friendly staff. An excellent selection of Norwegian draft beer (with ~50 on tap).

Date of visit: January 2019

Reviewed March 31, 2019

There are just too many excellent beers to choose from - I suggest going for the tasting tray. I was travelling solo and it was quite a party for 1 by the end of it :) Met a lot of regulars and heard stories about the place.

Overall, highly recommended. Just go have fun.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed March 22, 2019 via mobile

It’s a great location to visit and to have a great beer. 72 options for great beer. Go and try. You can have the beer only in the pub by local regulations.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed March 20, 2019

Had a wonderful couple of hours in here with friends after watching the nighttime ice marathon start in Tromso, what a memorable afternoon.

The barman was brilliant in his advice on what to try and the history of local beer making.

The beer was tip top class as was the service. Well done, visit this place if you can!

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed March 17, 2019

I told the bartender, “I’d like a nice cold beer.”

I guess my accent was confusing because he thought I said, “I’d like an ice cold bear.”

He immediately released the chain holding back the brewery’s resident polar bear. That’s the last thing I remember.

Actually there were pretty much no animal attacks during our visit to the Mack brewery beer hall in Tromsø, Norway.

The Mack beer hall in the brewery is a terrific spot to spend an afternoon stop-over between visiting the museums and the cable car ride to the cliff overlooking the town. Or perhaps it’s a good spot for a drink for pre- or post- Northern Lights chasing.

The beer was delicious, with something for every taste in the sampler flight that we shared. There is an overwhelming number of beers to choose from, like 70+, and trying them all sounds like a nice challenge but maybe a little much for an afternoon.

We did not do the tour of the brewing facilities and some reviewers have complained that some of the beer isn’t made in the building itself, which houses a micro-brewery, and that the bulk of Mack’s beer is made in a brewery elsewhere. That’s is a little like complaining that a restaurant did not slaughter and butcher the cow for your steak in the kitchen. Who really cares?

Mack bills itself as “The World’s Northernmost Brewery” which seems like a reasonable claim. While I was at the beer hall, I visited “The World’s Northernmost Brewery Bathroom” and ate some snacks from “The World’s Northernmost Brewery Snack Platter.” They don’t really call them that, but I think they should.

We loved the kitschy decorations and traditional bar vibe, a warm place that is great for relaxing on a cold rainy day. The polar bear you see pictured and that I mentioned earlier didn’t kill anybody while we were there. I guess it was his day off.

The staff was very cool and friendly. We liked the beer so much that we ordered it again at a different local bar later that night.

Some reviewers on TripAdvisor are complaining that this place is touristy … so what? You’re probably there as a tourist, right?

And seriously, what do you expect when you are 200+ miles north of the Arctic Circle? If you came that far because you expect to find a nightclub from Manhattan or Rio or London, or a brewpub from Colorado, or you want to avoid a tourist spot, then you need to do better research before booking.

My advice is visit the Mack beer hall to just enjoy some great beer, sit back, relax and soak it in. And try not to be attacked by the bear.

Date of visit: October 2018