Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM

ellen_swepston
Houston, Texas
Great guide for a memorable Arctic night with the Northern Lights

Keith B

All reviews guide gunnar hot drinks northern lights camera settings aurora activity aurora chase fantastic night finnish border great guide comfortable van two nights frozen lake full moon spectacular display cloud cover photo opportunities helped everyone
Reviewed 1 week ago

I was travelling to see the northern lights with 2 friends and we decided to book a guide. GuideGunnar was recommended as a leader in the industry, so we decided to book with him. He was tireless in his efforts to show us the Northern Lights. He provided snowsuits and boots (thank you!!) that allowed us to stay out in the cold weather for hours enjoying the Northern Lights. The snacks provided were delicious and there were several stops for bathroom breaks. The dancing northern lights were amazing to see and I highly recommend GuideGunnar. He was personable and helped people with their camera settings so that they could capture the experience. GuideGunnar also shared his photos with us AND he took our photo with the Northern lights dancing. It was a wonderful experience! We were expecting a typical excursion, with a set time frame, but GuideGunnar was so excited to show us the Northern Lights that we were out and about for 10 hours (including travel time to Finland because of cloud cover in the Tromso area).

Reviewed 1 week ago

Gunnar was welcoming from the first contact before our visit, and we were very happy we booked with him. He's a friendly guide, and - most important of all - clearly knows what he's doing, and how to get the best out of a trip to see the Northern Lights, even when the weather isn't promising. When we left Tromso the weather was rainy and cloudy, but Gunnar managed to find clear skies on a night when the Lights performed well (7 out of 10 on his rating scale, so we were lucky). Dinner under the stars and Lights was simple, but probably the best meal we had during our stay - the combination of good food and perfect setting. A memorable trip, and highly recommended.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

A very friendly and warm person. He always ensures that people who have booked the chase get to see the NorthernLights without fail. I had booked a two night chase and both the nights were rewarding. He knows his job and is completely prepared in offering tripods, warm suits, winter boots and all the requirements to keep you warm.
If you are booking your chase in Tromsø, he’s the man you ought to go out with. Thanks a lot Guide Gunnar. You have made our trip the most memorable one. We will surely come back for more

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

While my bf was choosing a northern lights trips in Tromso, based on all the reviews, he chose to book with Gunnar. And was a very good decision: chasing the elusive northern lights was an incredible experience and without the vast knowledge of a local the green lady would have stayed hidden in our eyes. Gunnar knows how to read the sky signs, where to go, how much to wait , how to create an wonderful warm atmosphere despite the freezing temperatures.
And after that, you are definitely hooked by the magic of the green lady, and, if you go back to Tromso, there is no better guide than Gunnar.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

my friend and I went for guide gunnar's tour on the 12th and we were rewarded with DaNCING northern lights!!! bus was large enough and comfortable. however i got motion sickness as i was sitting on the last row - totally should have sat in front instead!

anyway, he was beyond helpful and also showed concern and offered to stop several times but insisted to proceed. he also helped with tripod and camera set up. and i managed to get many beautiful pictures.

he set up a nice campfire and offered hot drinks and a local snack, it was really nice.

thanks very much!!

tricia/wanling

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Had a fantastic night with GuideGunnar. Saw the lights had an amazing dinner over camp fire. Thermal suits boots supplied which I needed as aussies don't normally need cold weather stuff.
Helped with cameras and supplied tripods. Local knowledge. Great show. Thanks. Sue

Reviewed October 13, 2018

Gunnar goes the extra mile (kilometer) to ensure an excellent experience. Not only a tour to see the aurora, but a history lesson of the local area.

Reviewed October 12, 2018 via mobile

So the sky was apparently covered with clouds so wide that the other agency I had booked & paid months(!) in advance just cancelled on me (turns out Northern Soul Alventure didn't want to drive for just 2-3 clients, shame on them!) So I was quite shocked and desperate, as they made me believe no other tours would go that night. Luckily as I was strolling the city in search for a tour, saw Gunnar's big building in the city center, went upstairs and could on the spot book a tour for that very night with him (not more expensive than those who cancelled on me). And indeed Gunnar delivered to us what he is know for, the most professional Aurora Hunt!! We went halfway to Lofoten for this, but WE SAW NORTHERN LIGHTS that night and saw them well enough that I could shoot them on my (world's best SMARTPHONE triple Leica cameras 40 megapixel) HUAWEI P20 PRO see the included photos all shot on the phone with no app and no filter! I had just 3 nights in Tromso and had to test my phone asap and Gunnar totally saved me!! His car is bigger and very stable you don't get car-sick like I did with the other agency, his warm boots keep you indeed so warm and other clients were happy with the full body warm suits he provided. In the long ride to search for lights, Gunnar had his car's tv display a very beautiful and interesting National Geographic type of documentary about the history and science behind Aurora Borealis, it was not a video about Gunnar like other complained! The video was actually very helpful and very high standards, glad to see it. And I'm also so thankful that when I asked Gunnar where to buy some non-expensive clothing items, he suggested a second hand shop, it was awesome and perfect to get gloves and boots there, they were actually new and extremely cheap compared to the overblown prices of everything in Tromso. Gunnar was personally very kind and humble and really thinks at what is best to make his clients happy, I'm so happy to have done the tour with him instead, he totally saved me! Thanks Gunnar for being so professional!!!!

Reviewed October 7, 2018 via mobile

My friend and I did a Northern Lights Chase tour with Guide Gunnar and are SO thankful for our experience! Gunnar has been in the game of chasing the lights for over 20 years and was one of the first six in doing so in Tromso so he KNOWS what he’s doing. Upon arrival we met in his large office (WiFi available, bathrooms, fun seats, beautiful pictures etc) and got lucky our tour had only six (of our a possible 14) people. He has a large van we all got in and set out to multiple areas of the island whenever Gunnar would spot a good area to watch the lights. We got lucky with mostly clear skies but Gunnar stayed in touch with some other tour chasers to make sure we were getting the best chance at seeing the lights. We were lucky in that we were able to see the lights just around the island outside of the city but he did tell us if there were clouds he would take us into Finland to get better views! My friend and I didn’t bring a high tech camera (we were on the end of our almost three week five country vacation...aka no room in luggage) but the others on our tour received ample help and hints from Gunnar on how best to shoot the lights. Our tour lasted around six hours and we successfully got to see the Northern Lights DANCE in the sky, it was beyond wonderful. Gunnar also sets up a campfire and brings food and warm drinks for his tour members. He really does go above and beyond for the people he is with and his sense of humor is the cherry on the top! As if it couldn’t get any better, the tour ends early into the morning and he delivered all of us home to our hotels (or Airbnb’s) within the city. He is the real deal, and I couldn’t sing his praises anymore, 100% recommend people to use him when looking for a Lights tour in Tromso!!

Reviewed October 5, 2018 via mobile

Gunnar is a kinda quirky guy who has been leading chases for the northern lights from Tromso for about 16 years. We did two nights with him chasing the lights and saw them both times.
On the first night he told us that we would be crossing the border into Finland and that we would need to drive south for a couple of hours to escape the cloud cover as it was raining heavily - not ideal for trying catch Lady Aurora. There were only two other people of our tour who oddly seemed rather disinterested so we basically had Gunnar and his substantial knowledge of the northern lights all to ourselves. As we drove, he played us a video about the lights and what caused them. Gunnar kept on checking with other colleagues via phone we drove, periodically stopping at the side of the road and getting out to check for activity.
Ange said she thought she saw some faint signs of an Aurora and then, quite suddenly Gunnar pulled over to the side of the road and told us that this was the spot and that we could expect to see aurora activity here. He showed us what to look for -very faint wisps of green only just visible in the night sky. And then, quite quickly, the wisps started to become quite clear and able to be seen with the naked eye. I had my camera ready on a tripod supplied by Gunnar and started to shoot some pictures. Gunnar was very helpful and would give me tips on changing shutter speed and ISO settings. He took some photos of us with his camera that he will send to us also and I got some great shots on my camera.
Some of the photos look like it was daylight. It wasn’t. It was quite dark -except for a nearly full moon lighting everything up which, although making the photographs tricky, was quite magical as lady aurora danced.
Quite quickly and without warning the Aurora faded and disappeared. So it was back on the bus and another 90 minutes or so of driving across the border into Finland where there was apparently more activity. We pulled over in a beautiful spot with a lake and mountains on either side of us and it wasn’t long before we started to get another short show. I started to experiment with my shutter speed as Gunnar built a fire for us and poured us a glass of steaming hot black currant juice and toasted some delicious traditional Norwegian goats cheese and sugar pastry treats for us on the flames.
By this stage the disinterested couple on our tour, got back on the bus where it was warmer so Ange and I chatted to Gunnar as we waited for the next show -which came, not quite as intensely as the first one, about 1.30am. As I started shooting, Gunnar was helping me do little tricks like painting a wooden fence in the foreground of my shot with the light from a torch which lit the foreground without polluting the northern lights. Around 2am, the show was complete and we jumped back in the van and dosed as Gunnar drove us back to Tromso, arriving back at our apartment just after 4.30 am
The second night, the group was larger and we were joined by 4 ladies from Hong Kong, a Swede and a Norwegian guy who told us that although he’s lived in Oslo all his life he has never chased the Northern Lights.
The weather over Norway was still mostly cloudy and this time we drove north east. About 90 minutes later we arrived at our first spot - a beach (and I use that term very very loosely - basically rocks and this bizarre looking seaweed stuff). We were on the other side of a large fjord and the lights of Tromso glimmered beautifully in the distance.
After about 90 minutes we weren’t having any luck so Gunnar loaded us all back into his van and drove for another 90 minutes to one of his “secret spots” that no other guide knows about high up in the mountains. In his rather dry Norwegian way, he told us not to wander too far away or we might get shot as they sometimes use this area to train the NATO troops.
The setting was stunning. 93 massive snow covered mountains, 2 lakes reflecting the mountains making them seem even more immense, and a full moon reflecting off the lakes. It was magical. There was so sign of the lights for about the first 90 minutes so I started shooting pictures of the mountains and lake. We were pretty resigned to the fact that tonight we might not see the lights and were ready to call it quits, but suddenly, without warning, the sky started to glow green as the Aurora appeared.
This time, it wasn’t only green, there was a band of purple (which unfortunately didn’t read on my camera - Gunnar has a faster lens than me so I’m hoping when he sends me his photos we’ll be able to see the purple). Lady Aurora then started to dance across the north sky, visible to the naked eye. Her dance only lasted about 5 minutes but my words can’t describe how beautiful it was. To be standing in Norway, in the middle of a freezing cold autumn night, surrounded by majestic snow capped mountains and reflective lakes was truly an amazing and awe inspiring experience. Bucket list item, consider yourself well and truly checked!
We had some more activity over the next half hour (the green wasn’t quite as intense the second time, and then, we all piled back into Gunnar’s bus and returned to Tromso, arriving about 3.45m