WINNER WONDERLAND

Scandic Ishavshotel
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Tromso
GreenLeadersSilver level
Stockholm, Sweden
“Excellent location and breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two nights, and the hotel is good, the room was a good size, although I would have prefered to have a an iron and ironing board, but they seem to be missing in the Rica hotels...
Positive:
- We had a great view, overlooking the water and a little harbour, and great view of the midnight sun
- The breakfast was exceptional, probably the best breakfast I ever had in a hotel, they even had a machine to make fresh orange juice, that was a big plus for me.
- The location is great, close to restaurants and the main street.
Negative:
- The hotel is rather difficult to access by car, every time we had to drive through a labirinth of streets, some one way, others under repair, and we didn't see not even one sign to indicate where the hotel was
- the only parking we found close to the hotel was very small and rather expensive, and from the hotel we were recommended to park somewhere else, some minutes walk from the hotel... And that was not much cheaper, either, especially during the night...
- They did not have room service while we stayed there, and as we arrived late (23.30) in the first night, we couldn't find anything to eat except a slice of pizza from 7 Eleven... Would have appreciated the hotel to offer us a better alternative...
- The air conditioning did not work, and as we stayed there under an unusually warm period, it was very difficult to sleep at night because of the heat.

Otherwise, the hotel is undergoing a renovation, but we weren't particularly bothered by it, they were working somewhere below our window but they were rather quiet, and they were never starting before 8 AM. We never saw any of the workers inside the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kim K, Front Office Manager at Scandic Ishavshotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear Camelia A.

Thank you for your kind review!

So good to hear you had a pleasant stay with us, we are very happy and proud of our central location close to the water.
We take great pride in giving our guests a great start in the morning with a healthy and various breakfast, so I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet while staying with us!

With the central location in Tromsø we also have some coherent challenges, as you mention, one must drive through different streets to reach the hotel by car and parking places are limited close to the hotel.
Regarding food serving after the restaurant's closing hour you are absolutely right. We are at this time working on a solution to offer for our guests some type of late night snack available from the reception. We hope to have a solution ready soon.

In the recent period, Tromsø has experienced days with very high temperatures that our guest room ventilation isn't very used to. We have taken note of the feedback and after some adjustments it now should be at a comfortable level.

We hope to see you again at our hotel some time!

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Malden, NL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

Good things first: The hotel is centrally located on walking distance of everything. It has a prominent place at the harbour and the quay of the Huttigruten post boat is very close by. We enjoyed the restaurant in the evening and the breakfast was excellent, with a large variety of food. Wifi was free and worked well.

Major construction works are going on as was already pointed out in many reviews. Nevertheless the management does not seem to care about it. The whole hotel was in the pipeline and the taxi driver could not find the entrance. Unfortunately work was going on our floor. In our hallway there was no carpet, as this was to be renovated. So it sounded overnight like everyone stepped directly into our room. I don’t know if it is a good idea to keep the hotel open during these major renovation works.

Room Tip: Wait until renovation has finished
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mianel
Dear Mianel.

Thank you for writing back to us about your experiences whilst staying with us.

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our new restaurant, we are glad to offer a new type of dining and welcoming our guests to a brand new interior.

Unfortunately the recent renovation of the restaurant and other parts of the hotel was quite delayed and I am sorry that this influenced your stay with us. It is also unfortunate that you were allocated a room on a floor at the same time as we where changing the carpets, we should definitely have allocated you a room on another floor while the carpets were replaced.

We thank you for staying with us and I hope that you on a later occasion might want to visit us again and see how the hotel has turned out.

Trondheim, Norway
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

Disclaimer: This review is not from a stay during normal circumstances, but during a period when serveral floors of the hotel were undergoing serious renovation. I do however think that the total lack of professionality displayed regarding this renovation does speak for the service attitude, and should stand as a warning of what you could experience.

The positives first: This hotel has a great location right on the waterfront of Tromsø, as centrally located as possible. View from the rooms facing the water is great, with the famous Coastal Express passenger liner docking right outside the entrance twice daily. I can't speak for the food in general, but the breakfast was also great, in keeping with the Scandic brand signature. My room was also quite good, although the TV and WiFi were unstable, possibly due to the renovation.

Now, the bad stuff: As I mentioned, the hotel was undergoing major renovation, and most of the facade was covered in scaffolding. Oddly enough, the floors that were being renovated had not been shut down, and we constantly had to scurry past workmen, step across whatever they were doing, or look on our own for detours around closed staircases etc. There was also very little in the ways of signs or warnings explaning things and apologizing for the mess.

My colleagues had a particularly unpleasant experience with some workmen in a shut down staircase. The elevator in that wing didn't go all the way to the top floor, and when they came home at night, the stairs to the top were closed off with a ribbon. Knowing no other way to get to their room, my colleagues nevertheless started climbing the stairs. Before long they were assailed by a frantic worker yelling at them for violating his workspace, and literally telling them they were stupid for not using the metal staircase at the other end of the hallway (the existence of which they were unaware). There were no signs about this that they could find.

Inconveniencing, and even directly harassing, your customers like this is unforgivable from a high-end hotel, even during extraordinary circumstances.

Room Tip: Make sure there aren't any renovations going on.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SverreBM
Traveller190475, Front Office Manager at Scandic Ishavshotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Sverre.

Thank you for taking your time to write back to us and our Tripadvisor readers after your stay.

I want to thank you for baring with us during the period when the renovations at the hotel was going on it's most comprehensive state.
We are truly sorry for not handeling this situation good enough as well as for any inconvenience and disturbance during your stay. During the renovation period we found that our planning and scheduling prior to the renovation began, should have been done differently on some cases and for some periods.
The episode you decribe regarding the elevator is not acceptable at any standards and I will make sure that we bring this further up in our evaluation now after the work is done.
I'm also sorry that we weren't able to assist you better during your stay at our hotel.

However I am happy to hear you enjoyed our location and view as well as the breakfast.
I truly hope on a later occasion you would give us an option to better your impression of the hotel. You are more than welcome to send me an email or call me prior to your next stay in Tromsø and I will hope to offer you a better stay with us as the renovation work is done and we have a new and better product your you and other guests!

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

When we first stepped in, we got a shock of our lives. There is no hotel lobby at all. Everything is under construction. But the service was really good and everyone was friendly. The view from our window is the best! It's overlooking the pier and into the mountains. Love it so very much.

Location is also very good. A lot of tours pick up is near our hotel. Breakfast is good as well. There's a variety of choices to choose from.

On the second night, we were chilling by our room window, when we notice a group of people by the pier looking up into the sky and taking their cameras out.

Out of curiosity, we head down and we see the aurora just above our heads. It's really a beautiful sight, one that we won't forget. Ended up camping by the pier (which is just outside our hotel) with the cameras till late at night. Luckily for us, we don't have to walk too far for shelter from the cold.

Overall, we would come back again because of the beautiful view. Hopefully the renovations will be over by then.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello.

Thank you for your kind review and thank you for staying at our hotel even if we were under a difficult period with comprehensive renovation going on!

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the view from your room and the service provided from our great staff.
Great fun that you had the opertunity to experience the Northern Lights from just outside the hotel! It is truly amazing and beautiful!
If you ever come back to Tromsø we would enjoy seeing some pictures!

Thank you again and welcome back to our hotel!

Corroios, Setúbal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

Hotel in the harbour with excellent location near the centrum and very good accessibility from the airport (last bus stop).
One of my best breakfasts in a hotel with lots of variety for every "tastes". Super friendly staff (especially the staff in the morning serving breakfast).
Food in the restaurant at dinner is also recommended.
Also my regards to the people at the reception for taking care of my "special" invoice!
The rooms are friendly, nice commodities.
Definitely, if I could return to Tromso, my first choice!!!

Room Tip: In the summer ask for a room turned to the mountain/harbour view, or you will have lots of light and...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank BrunoFrois
Dear Bruno.

Thank you for your kind words!

We are very happy and proud to give our guests a good start in the morning with a various breakfast buffet and a warm smile from our friendly staff!
Hope that you found our new restaurant and dining experience Roast exciting, we are very happy with our new interior and concept!

Hope to see you back in Tromsø again, maybe in the Winter time(?).

Heraklion Prefecture, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

Excellent location in the city on the water - lots of interests within walking distance. Breakfast was amazing. A bar meal was good, conference facilities were very good and the catering again excellent. Room was cheerful, clean and comfortable - would have been nice to have coffee/tea facilities. Staff were always pleasant and helpful. Can't talk much about the price - you know you are in Norway! Can't talk much about the weather - you know you are in the Arctic Circle! Don't be late for breakfast - they clear it on the dot.

The renovation is finishing soon - a major part was cleared when we were there, having read reviews before we booked, maybe they should have closed, but we came in near the end and it was not a huge problem. We did have to change our room after check in as we had a large cellophane covered crack in the window and a view down the scaffolding. The reception were happy to oblige and we had a very nice room thereafter.

Room Tip: Ask for the sea view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank Christopher Joh... S
Kim K, Front Office Manager at Scandic Ishavshotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Chris.

Thank you very much for writing back to us.

Such a pleasure to hear about your positive experience when visiting us!
I'm sorry we weren't completely finished with the renovation work, we have had some great delays, but I'm happy to hear that the last period of work didn't affect you to much.
Very glad to hear that the reception were able to assist you and offer you a better room, I'm sorry you were allocated a room with a cellophane crack in the window first.

We hope to see you back in Tromsø on a later occasion!

Asker Municipality, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

Located at the final stop for the airport express bus and at the port of hurtigruta makes the location of the hotel ideal for tourists.

There are nice view from most rooms. I had a view to the harbour.

The hotel is currently undergoing some refurbishments in some of the hallways and stairs. They have just finnished the reception and the restaurant area. Looks very nice. The elevators seems a bit worn and outdated
There was missing several light bulbs at the elevator entrance in my floor which make an dark and unpleasant impression.

The breakfast is one of the best I have had in a norwegian hotel. Huge selection of cereals, fruit, omelette, scrambled eggs, fried eggs and fresh "do it yourself" orange juice. The breakfast restaurant has a nice view of the mountains and the harbour.

Unfortunately one of the breakfast waitresses destroyed the experience by taking my plate as I was still eating! I cant understand why she did that? She did not even apologise as I had to ask her to give me the plate back.

Nice view and breakfast weigh up for the negative. Would recomend this place both for business travelleres and tourists.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Trond.

Thank you for your valuable feedback after you last stay with us.

I'm sorry about the matters regarding light bulbs and the state of the elevators. As a part of the renovation, the elevators has also been serviced and is working well now. However we should absolutely have discovered the light bulbs missing on an earlier state. I will look into our routines and better them so that we discover and can replace such items earlier.

Very nice to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet. The "do it yourself" orange juice machine is quite popular and we are happy to have it as an addition to our breakfast.
Regarding the episode when on of our staff took your plate even before you had finished eating I can only apologize! I will forward your feedback to my colleagues and make sure we improve ourselves on this area.

Hope that you would chose us for your next stay and give us a chance to show our improvements.