“Not for us”

Ranked #1 of 6 Tromso B&B and Inns
london
“Not for us”
Reviewed January 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in January. Comments in the the guest book in the lounge were overwhelmingly positive so our experience is at complete odds with these.
But I wouldnt recommend this accomodation to others and wouldnt stay there again.
There were three postives notes to our stay
1. It was very cheap
2. The lady who welcomed us was very nice (She explained that she had come to let us in at short notice as the usual manager, her daughter, had injured her back)
3 There were nice views from the kitchen/living room
So what was wrong with it?
Well the accommodation has shared facilities (which we were expecting) but we simply felt were inadequate for the number of rooms.
Firstly the bathroom and toilet facilties: Three of the four bedrooms, including ours, were on the middle floor of the house and you had to go either upstairs or downstairs to reach a toilet or sink. The house was extremely creaky so when someone went to the loo in the night they woke us up. The upstairs toilet (with a sink) was in a cupboard-like room immediately off the kitchen - only a thin concertina door separted the toilet from the kitchen. You had to walk past the people in the living room or kitchen to get to it. I would have been extremely embarassed to have had to use this toilet if someone was using the kitchen or living room. And I wouldnt have appreciated someone else using it if I had been preparing or eating food.
Downstairs there was a toilet without a sink in a cupboard-like room about 4 foot square. I am 5'9 so not excessively tall but my knees were right up against the wall when I sat on the loo - I dont know how tall people manage? To find a sink you had to go into an adjoining large room that contained a washing machine, sink and two showers. The choice was to lock the room so that you could use the showers, but stop anyone getting access to the sink or washing machine (which seemed to constantly in use during the day) or use the facilities and risk someone coming in. Too communal for us.
Secondly the kitchen: we arrived at the house at about 3pm. When the lady showed us round the house the other residents were all out. They had gone out leaving the work surfaces and kitchen bar covered with crumbs and there was unwashed crockery in the sink. To be fair the lady did immediately deal with this but usually there wouldnt be anyone on site to do this except the guests themselves. And when we got back home after going out for the evening, the cooker had been left covered in grease. The fridge was organised so that each room had its own shelf - but it smelt awful due to rancid bottles of milk that had been left there. One was so rancid it had sort of collapsed on itself so I didint risk throwing it out. There was also a large plastic box for each room so that you could store things like bread and biscuits in it. But when we came to use ours it was still full of crumbs from the previous guests. So although we chose to stay here because it offered the option of self catering, we ended up eating out because I couldnt bring myself to use the kitchen.
Not only did some of fellwo guests fail to clean up after themselves. But one couple ( in their 50s like us so not thoughtless teenagers) had to leave at 5am in the morning and woke us up, making no effort to keep their voices down as they called to each other up and down the stairs keeping us fully aware of the progress they were making with their packing and departure! Maybe we were just unlucky in that we stayed at a time when the manager was unwell, or had bad luck with our fellow guests. But on the basis of our experience, If we were to go to Tromso again (and it's a lovely little town) we would pay the extra and stay in one of the hotels in the centre.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank amethystgirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Reviewed November 30, 2011

I absolutely recommend this place. The host was very welcoming when we arrived even though it was gone midnight because our flight was delayed.
The outside is an authentic Norwegian cute red house and the inside is much bigger than u expect. Very cosy. Blackout blinds if you're staying during the midnight sun, a kitchen, showers and laundry facilities including dryer if your clothes get wet. Take your shoes off at the door and make yourself at home.

• Stayed November 2011
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2011

I stayed here last October while attending the Insomnia festival, and will be arriving there again tomorrow for this years festival. It's everything you need, and nothing you don't. It's ner everything and half way to everything else. Quiet walks to the south a few minutes, the center to the north a few minutes. Polaria, Art gallery, Mack brewry, UK consulate, Spar are all on your doorstep.

It's extremely convenient, in a residential area that makes one feel as though you're in amongst real Tromsønians. Which is the way I like to roll. Brilliant price, lovely owners. if you're into self reliance and a genuine Norwegian welcome, here's the palce to be,

Room Tip: They're all good rooms.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank 23badger
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I stayed in this lovely fishermen cottage for 2 days back in January 2010 for a bargain price of 350 NOK per night (which is really good for such an expensive country like Norway)

The best part about my stay in this property is that I was the only guest (considering that I was travelling during the polar nights period) and as a result I had the whole property to myself since the owners will just hand you the keys when you arrive and then they leave

The property was fully equipped since it had free wifi, cable tv, kitchen utensils, laundry facilities, etc

I will be definitely staying back here if I ever make it back to Tromso !

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo