“Radisson Blu Hotel, Tromso” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Radisson Blu Hotel, Tromso

Radisson Blu Hotel, Tromso
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Tromso
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Radisson Blu Hotel, Tromso”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

The Radisson Blu Hotel is perfectly situated within Tromso to gain access to all amenities.

From our arrival to Tromso Airport, the shuttle bus drops you off exactly outside the Radisson.

Hotel staff at reception were very polite, we didn't have to wait as there were 3 reception staff working the front desk.

Reception explained very clearly were our room was situated and if we found any issues to immediately telephone down.

I had booked room 508, a superior room with fantastic views across the fjord. With the bridge located on the left hand side of the window, The Arctic Cathedral immediately in front and the Mountain/Tram car system to our right.
Of a night time, we used to sit with the curtains fully open taking in the fantastic views.

The room itself lacked shelving space, that was the only down side. We basically lived out of our suitcases, only hanging up trousers, shirts etc.

There's a free safe and free internet - Both very easy and straight forward to use.

The room is heated all day/night, you can control via a mounted wall unit. Beds are very comfortable, The Radissson use two single quilts on a kingsize bed - I had no issues with this set up and always woke up refreshed from a great nights sleep.

Breakfast - Sorry guys! 4 out of 10. Even though it had a running buffet style breakfast area, the food was always luke warm. The toaster worked when it wanted too and even when it did, only 2 out of the 4 chutes worked.

The Radisson own Yonas Pizza's, it would have been nice as a guest of the Radisson to get some sort of concession when purchasing from there as the prices were very expensive.

"Maybe that's something The Radisson Blu may consider if they read this comment/review?"

Overall, we stayed at the Radisson for 7 nights. Would we stay there again - Yes, but not for a weeks stay. I would definitely use it as a bridge stop, using it if I were flying through or using the ferries that berth directly infront of the Radisson.

Many thanks to everyone concerned at The Radisson, we had a lovely time with just a few hickups. 9 out of 10. Breakfast let you down.

Room Tip: Room 508 has a fantastic view. Bridge, Arctic Cathedral, mountain views, ferries and fjord all infro...
2 Thank doyley196
Jan S, Director of Sales at Radisson Blu Hotel, Tromso, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you very much for your nice rewiev

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

Once you get over the shock of how expensive Norway is you then settle in to this business events hotel and if you are lucky enjoy the view of the harbour.
There does not seem to be any S in service when it comes to breakfast in spite of the minimum wage being around £14 per hour.
We found ourselves continuously calling the waiter over to serve coffee and for some reason the culture in Norway does not recognise that tourists may want to enjoy milk with their coffee or tea as you either have to ask again or pop over to the breakfast bar and retrieve this yourselves.
Training is required and a greater emphasis towards customer care.
The staff organising trips out that have a reception desk are very helpful but this has nothing to do with the service in the hotel which in my opinion requires greater focus at breakfast.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask and complain that we did.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Redarmy1952
Sorocaba, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

The hotel is very well located, the room we had had a truly marvellous view, was large, stylish and comfortable, the bed especially so. The staff - with one exception - were warm. helpful and efficient. The only jarring moments were in the restaurant. We arrived on a late plane, and clearly after the restaurant staff thought the day was over, and were having a pleasant chat in the kitchen. They were a little reluctant to come to show us to a table, and then, thinking we would make it easy for them, when we asked for the standard meal the front desk had told us we could order, and which was on a menu located near the desk, the waiter looked at his pocket watch and retorted that this was only available up to 7pm, and it was already 10 and nearly closing time. When we suggested that someone needed to tell reception the meal was not available at that time, to avoid any confusion, he was offended, and said he could show us the small print on the menu in question, which clearly said the meal was not available after 7pm. After that, he was rather terse, and asked for the whole order asap, including desert (presumably so the kitchen staff could go home). When we told the front desk, though, they were genuinely dismayed, and our experience of the rest of the staff was excellent. It is WELL worth staying at this hotel, but if you go to the restaurant late, and the waiter takes his pocket watch out of his pocket, maybe best to pop up to Burger King instead.

Room Tip: We were given an excellent room without needing to ask for anything special.
1 Thank peterlawrencebaker
Jan S, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Tromso, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed (PERSONALIZE TO THE GUEST). We look forward to your next stay.

Please friend us on Facebook to stay informed of our upcoming specials!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

We were very happy with our 6 night stay at the Radisson Blu. Hotel staff were courteous and helpful, breakfast was plentiful and the location in the center of town was great. We arrived at the hotel early and they expedited the cleaning of our room so we could get in it early. Plenty of places in the hotel to relax outside of your room and WIFI connections were great.

Taunton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

Stayed overnight here after Hurtigruten Cruise. Organised by the company as the flight back to Uk was next day. Comfortable double bedded room with FREE wi-fi (apparently standard in all Radisson hotels since 2006). Free tea and coffee making in the room. Adequate bathroom with bath and shower over.

Room was clean and tidy when we arrived and the reception staff were very efficient with 3 desks manned to cope with the influx of a lot of passengers from the ship.
Breakfast was buffet style with a very varied selection to chose from.

Nicely situated a short walk from the quay and there were plenty of airport shuttle buses running every few minutes although our coaches were organised by Hurtigruten.

1 Thank Colin B
Pompano Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

Most everything about this place is either a one or a five, but averaged together it gets a misleading 3 out of 5. First the bad news, then the good:

BAD
Before I start my rant, let me say that the standards here may be no different from other Tromso hotels but this is the only one I know.

1. There was a long check-in line (they must know by now when the airport shuttle arrives and be staffed accordingly) and the person checking me in was quite unfriendly. (I came to understand that tourists here are generally tolerated rather than welcomed, and most service workers I dealt with took take care to keep their apathy and even annoyance to a barely acceptable level, just a notch away from rude.)

2. I had booked a superior room (I'm more of a standard-room traveler, but this was the only room type available as I'd made rather last-minute plans). When I got to the room I found two twin beds, a shower and a view of a wall when my booking.com reservation specifically requested one large bed, a bath-tub and a nice view. Back down I went to another reservation clerk who blamed booking.com for not sending the message, but come on! Paying for a "superior" room and being greeting by nothing but an ugly gray wall upon entering? I was told no other accommodation was available but, before I could object (and believe me I was going to) the clerk found me EXACTLY what I requested (see GOOD below) and I got a truly superior room after waiting an hour.

3. I went to clean up and found no toiletries, so I went back down again, assuming that they'd kindly put together the room in such haste for me that they'd forgotten, but no. I was told one has to have a business class room to rate such things! In my experience, even the most basic hotel provides the standard free little bottles of shampoo, conditioner and lotion. This superior room in a four-star hotel only provided industrial-grade liquid soap. I checked booking.com and saw that the superior room was advertised as including free toiletries. So I went back down, again, and was able to wheedle a bottle of conditioner, which was really all I needed and all that I got.

4. Next day I awoke too late to eat the breakfast included in the room price. Aurora chasing--the main reason to visit Tromso--generally keeps you out well past midnight, but the breakfast is served from 7am to 10am. So no toiletries and no breakfast but still paying 1500 NOK a night.

5. Housekeeping was minimal. The bed was hastily put together without even the pillows plumped or arranged. My used towels remained exactly where I left them for the duration. No vacuuming, no wiping of surfaces, waste bin not always emptied. All this contributed to that feeling of a low-grade but persistent hostility toward visitors.

6. I had read a review complaining that the hotel did not provide free bottled water (which, again, even basic hotels in other locations may offer) so I did not plan to buy anything extra at the hotel. (I'd read the even television here costs extra but I don't watch anyway.) Glad I made other arrangements as the little 250ml bottle of wine offered was 139 NOK or 22 USD.

7. I could not charge my cell phone, computer or camera unless I was in the room with the lights on. The rooms on the 5th floor at least (I was told that some floors are and some aren't) are wired so that if you are out with your room card or asleep with the lights out, the outlets will not charge.

8. Not enough hot water and not enough water pressure.

9. Towels, toilet paper and tissues were all unpleasantly stiff.

10. A closet with hangers doesn't help much when bulky winter sweaters, long underwear, etc. really need drawer space - and there were no drawers at all. Lived out of my suitcase for the duration and only hung up my parka.

10. The fitness center had nothing but one each of the 3 basic machines and closed at 10pm.

GOOD

1. Like most hotels, this one is centrally located, but don't stay here just because it's in central Tromso - most all of them are concentrated within a few blocks of each other.

2. DO stay here or at another harborside hotel if you want to enjoy absolutely enchanting views (heh, even if you have to fight for them!)

3. The bed, pillows and duvet comforters were absolutely heavenly. The room was spacious, nicely decorated and provided adequate heat for this visitor from the tropics.

4. The glass bridge that connects the two Radisson buildings offers great views so you can enjoy even if you end up with a room without a view.

5. The fitness center on the 10th floor has great views, too, and also had a sun bed and gender-separated saunas with shower and - get this! - a circular window view inside the sauna overlooking the harbor. The absolute height of luxury -- despite the stiff towels.

6. The breakfast (whenever I was awake to eat it) was varied and plentiful and the staff here was more pleasant than at the front desk.

So that's about it. At least the northern lights cooperated and that is what I came for. But now that I've crossed this place off my bucket list I see no reason to return . . . except . . . except. . . . the NordNorge was docked outside my window one night, and I yearned to be on it. Somehow it reminded me of a Chris Van Allsberg illustration: silent, stately, mysterious. So if I live long enough, a Hurtigruten cruise may go on the list.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank Jasmine_and_Pelicans
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

I stayed here on business for 2 nights and thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

Location - In the centre of town next to the quayside. 2 minutes to the main shopping areas and about 10 minutes to the airport.

Room - excellent. Clean, comfortable, well equipped. A touch on the small side especially if there was two of you however it was fine for my needs.

General - The staff are excellent very helpful with getting around, making suggestions for things to do/directions and helping with taxis etc. The breakfast and food/drink options are very good and the hotel also has a good bar and very good pizza place next door. A slight issue would be that the gym is quite poor with just three machines.

A very good hotel in the main part of Tromso. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business