“good value”
Review of Scandic Narvik

Scandic Narvik
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Narvik
Reviewed January 4, 2013

we were staying in transit for the night.The location is bang in the centre.Clean rooms and done up nicely. The breakfast layout was good. Since it was the 26th everything was quite in the hotel as as the city centre.

Room Tip: choose a room on the higher floors to get a good view of the mountain.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is a brand new hotel. And I was really disappointed!
The Rica chain usually have great hotels, awesome food and good service.

This time I got stuck in Narvik because of bed weather, and had lots of luggage after christmas vacation. First of there is two steps up to the reception, which cant be good for disabled persons. I was not offered any help with the luggage, and it was difficult to drag everything with me to the room because of doorsteps, doors that are hard to keep open and carpets in the hallway.

The second disappointment was the food in the skybar. The steak-sandwich was served overcooked and on old bread. I asked to get it changed, and the chicken salad was served with tomatoes that had been frozen, and tasteless feta and herb-butter. The waiter said she would take care of it - which meant a 10 % reduction in the price. Not very good service.
And at the breakfast, the selection of food was poor, and "warm" elements were cold.

The single room I had was good, spacious and clean.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed in Narvik due to us flying out early the next day and having seen the hotel being completed earlier in the year we thought we must try on our next visit. We were not disappointed - the corridors leading to the rooms are a bit strange, but once inside the room - WOW! The room we stayed in was a Superior room. We had ample toiletries to use in the rather large bathroom (wet room) which is one of the best we have stayed in when in Scandinavia. The bed was large and extremely comfortable. Views are outstanding, especially from the bar on the 16th floor - that is a must! Our room had views of the ski slope and the surrounding mountains. The only issue we had was with the parking...it cost over £10 for us to leave the car overnight in the hotel car park. We did not have breakfast in the hotel but we did enjoy a breakfast plate made for us as we left early.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Narvik as a destination is rather boring - but in the city center this is a really nice place to stay in.
It is the highest building in the city and from the upper rooms there are very nice rooms.

Lobby and Restaurant: Very chic, fancy and modern! Really nice!
Breakfast: Great choice!!! Shame they charge extra for Cappuccino
Rooms: Brand new, comfy beds, good and clean bathroom

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank jenskroeger
Reviewed September 1, 2012

The hotel is quite new. The rooms are very comfortable, spacious and clean. The staff are also excellent and helpful. I was travelling as part of a tour group and had signed up for room share.. its a great way to get those lower prices without a single supplement if you don't mind "sleeping" with someone you have never met before. However on check in my room mate and I discouvered that we had one queen sized bed which was not going to work for us. The desk clerk not only found us a room with twin beds, he upgraded us to a two room suite on an upper floor which a great view of the bay, the ski hill and the city. I even managed to get some excellent shots of the midnight sun from it. The hotel is also very well placed for a walk down to the water front and though the city itself.
The bar on the upper floor has a couple of well placed urinals with a view, and serves up great beer too. Its a bit on the noisy side though.
The buffet breakfast was great, as was the set meal diinner that was prepared for our tour group.
Overall this is an excellent hotel, and I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: The windows open, and the curtains help to keep out those late night sunbeams for a good summer nigh...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank CDNBearYVR
Reviewed August 27, 2012

When arriving in Narvik, people are always a bit shocked to see the impact of the Iron Ore industry coming from the railwayline from Sweden. The town itself breathes the atmosphere of work, northern emptiness, not quite the tourist attraction.
I came to Narvik as many do, to start a hike in the mountains. The new Rica hotel came up in search results, so I thought it would be nice to stay there before starting the hike. It looks expensive, but in comparison with other places in Narvik it is almost the same. A night in Narvik will cost you around 800 per room at least. At Rica, you might pay 900 as I did.
I was nicely surprised by the ambiance and modernity of the Rica. The building is so much different for the groom and concrete rest of the city centre. The rooms are fresh, as is the staff, and breakfast could have taken all day if I had the time. So much to choose from, fresh fish, all the amenities of a well organized breakfast buffet.
Service was outstanding. Again the rooms are luxurious, modern, and have plenty of space. Complimentary amenities in the room are fine, and free wifi is provided unlimited.
All in all the best choice in my opinion when staying in Narvik, especially now I have comparison with another hotel in Narvik. Coming back from the mountains, I stayed at the Quality Grand hotel by Choice hotels. See my disappointing review af that stay. Both hotels are in the same price range but what a difference!
There are not many places to stay in Narvik, and prices are all very high. So if you go there, and need to pay more than normal, I suggest paying at the Rica because it is worth double the money.

Room Tip: I did not see the pool, I think there is none. Tip: compare prices as always!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I spent a fantastic night in this wonderful hotel. I was welcomed warmly on check in, they helped me with my travel plans for the following day, arranged me to have a packed breakfast as I was leaving very early the following day. I had an amazing room on the 14th floor which a view which could only be described as spectacular, I looked out over a snow capped mountain and beautiful fjord. The food in the restaurant was tasty and varied, the restaurant staff and friendly and happy to talk in English. I arrived in Narvik by train and found the walk from the station to the hotel was perfectly acceptable.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Narvik
Quality Hotel Grand Royal
#1 of 1 in Bjerkvik
Evenes Fjordhotell
Evenes Fjordhotell
#2 of 2 in Bogen i Ofoten

Been to Scandic Narvik? Share your experiences!