“Excellent hostel for traintravellers”
Review of Bodo Youth Hostel

Bodo Youth Hostel
Ranked #1 of 12 Specialty Lodging in Bodo
Oslo, Norway
“Excellent hostel for traintravellers”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I visited this hostel in 2012 and since we were travelling by train we chose this hostel to accomodate us for the night. Bodø vandrerhjem is a great hostel with an amazing location, it is litterally in the same building as the train station! We were greeted by friendly staff that helped us with both the room and train logistics. Our room was clean, modern and with a television plus it had a good view over bodø. To summarize i would definiatly reccomend this hostel if you are going to bodø.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Brorrobin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Siemianowice Śląskie
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We came to Bodo on March 2013. The price is very good (taking into account prices in Norway). The rooms and hostel in general are clean, dining room and kitchen well equiped. People were really nice. Cannot say anyting bad, to be honest.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Turku, Western Finland, Finland
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay in Bodo because of this nice place to stay. I was only one night, but if I had to stay longer, I'd enjoy to stay in this hostel, I got so many friends only in one night stay in 8pers. room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Umea, Sweden
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Stayed at this hostel in the summer period, for the third year in a row. Very good location on the top of the railway station, just some minutes to walk to the city center. Free parking outside the railway station - just ask the staff which places to choose. The staff has always been friendly and good in english. Good rooms with own bath, towels, toilet and TV. Perhaps the rooms are a little small, if you need to store big suitcases in them. Breakfast is included in the prize, and is served in the railway restaurant. A nice place to have breakfast, if you like to look at trains and travelling people when you are eating. The hostel has a very good common kitchen and big common room for eating, sitting and talking, or reading. Only disadvantage: you can not check in during night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Erla841
Ballston Lake, New York
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I don't stay at hostels... enjoy my privacy when traveling... and this helped remind me of that. I was forced into a strange travel situation where my train arrived at 5pm, and I was catching the Hurtigruten at 3am. Plus the temperature was hoovering around freezing, with a rainy-slush storm outside. So... I needed a place to keep my luggage, stay warm, and kill some time. That being said... the hostel was exceptionally clean, and the front desk staff were friendly! It's super convenient to the train station, thus being IN it! And its only a block from the Hurtigruten dock. A 5 minute walk gets you to the main shops in downtown... so the location is wonderful. There seemed to be a strange mix of eight guests in the room that I was staying in... which made the experience kind of "odd". So feel free to take my review with a grain of salt. If I was actually staying for any length of time (or if I return), I would've chosen one of the single rooms (if available).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed May 29, 2012

The hostel is situated in the station building of Bodø, so if you are arriving or leaving by train it is extremely convenient. If you arrive by air, the airport is only a 20-30 minute walk away. The building is not so scenic but inside the corridor is very bright, with the most beautiful photographs of the area on the walls. The bunk beds are comfortable, although in summer when it doesn't really get dark, then it would be better if the curtains were thicker. There is a really neat little shelf for every bed - with 2 electricity sockets to charge your phone and iPod or whatever, and a light with a dimmer switch. Wifi is free and available throughout the hostel. On our first morning breakfast was served in the hostel kitchen as it was a holiday (17 May) and they made the most wonderful waffles for us. It was nicer than the breakfast served the normal way, in the cafe next door. As well as the really helpful and interesting wardens - one Norwegian, the other American - there were also some interesting fellow hostellers to chat to - something you don't get in hotels usually. It is quite expensive, but then everything is expensive in Norway...

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
edinburgh
Reviewed April 4, 2012

A very clean, well situated, affordable hostel with good kitchen facilities (2 microwaves, 2 cookers, plenty pots and pans etc.) that i would recommend to anyone travelling to Bodo in Northern Norway looking for cheap accomodation. I stayed here for three nights in early March 2012 and chose a 4 bed male dorm with private bathroom. The room was clean, with fresh sheets, duvet and towels provided and the bunk beds were pretty comfortable even for a 6ft 3 person like myself. Obviously seasoned hostel goers need not be told, bring ear plugs in case one of your room mates is a snorer...!!! We arrived on the overnight train from Trondheim on a Sunday morning to be told that we weren't able to check in till 1pm and that everything was closed in Bodo on a Sunday. Never fear though, as we were actually able to check in around 11 as the rooms had been cleaned and although nothing really does open till at least 12 noon on a sunday we discovered that the flight museum is open on a sunday so that is an option for anyone finding themselves in the same situation that, like us, doesn't want to sit around the common room all day.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple