“Nice girl working here who is very helpful”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Vadso Tourist Information Center
Ranked #2 of 6 things to do in Vadso
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Welcome to Vadso – where the sky is high and the horizon wide – by the powerful Arctic Ocean. This is home to the exotic king crab and close to 100 species of bird in a beautiful, colourful and vital countryside. Vadso has an impressive range of services and cultural activities, with an annual musical festival and numerous cultural events. This was the central area for the Finnish/Kven immigrants in the 19th century, and the stop over site for the two North Pole expeditions. Vadso has a world of adventure just waiting for visitors, with outdoors pursuits, hunting and fishing in varying countryside. The Arctic Ocean and the Arctic nature are always close at hand, making their distinctive statements. Population: 6,062 Area, municipality: 1,259 km²
Helsinki, Finland
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“Nice girl working here who is very helpful”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I came through Vadso on a summer trek through Norway. I can say Vadso is not really a huge tourist attraction but I understand for bird watchers it is great place to stay to get some good views and photos of sea birds who stay here for part of the year.

I wild camped just outside the town for one night (though it was still daylight out) and hiked into town the next morning. The first place I found to be open was the tourist center. I talked to the girl working there and she gave me information on places to stay in town (about 4) and I learned of a camp sight about 12km from Vadso in a community called Vestre Jackobselv. As it turned out there was no local bus runing that day that could take me and a taxi would have been outrageously expensive. When I figured I would wild camp again or hitch hike, the nice gal (I wish I could remember her name) offered to give me lift to the camp sight.

So what I can say about the tourist information center is, you should find informative locals working there and perhaps all would be so friendly as well

Visited July 2013