“Definitely go if you have young children”

Hunderfossen Familiepark
Ranked #3 of 28 things to do in Lillehammer
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Guarded by a 14 meter high troll, and behind the gates of the 37 meter tall fairy tale castle the treasure of the Norwegian folk stories is kept safe in Hunderfossen Family Park. Step insde and be a part of the fairy tales yourself.In the unique and mysterious atmosphere of Hunderfossen Family Park you will meet the prince and the princess, the King and the Queen, trolls and many other odd characters from the old Norwegain folk stories.
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We had a very enjoyable day at this park. It is best to go when the weather is nice, as many of the activities are outdoors. Also, there are very specific times when the bus departs Lillehammer to the park (and vice-versa). It was not busy when we attended, so lines were very short for us. Thus, it was very easy for us to see everything in less than a day. Also, even if you don't speak Norwegian, I would still recommend watching "The Little Prince" 4D show. We thoroughly enjoyed it in spite of our language difference. Check the operating schedule for the park on Hunderfossen's website rather than relying on guidebook times.

3  Thank Cwpappa
in 17 reviews
in 14 reviews
in 9 reviews

Reviewed August 22, 2013

This is probably the second or third best amusement/family park in Norway. It has lots of different activites for little kids (from 90cm) and for bigger ones (120cm) and I would recommend spending minimum 1 1/2 - 2 days to see everything. You get a ticket for the second day visit very cheap (100NOK / 17$). Overall the park has a fairytale theme, all from typical norwegian fairytales and tales, especially from H.C Andersen and the Ivo Caprino fairytale shortfilms from the 1960/1970s. I would personally recommend visiting the huge Troll and taking the fairytale castle-ride which is very atmospheric. There arent as many "wild rides" for the adult clientel bit plenty for children from 4-13.

You can safely avoid the Ivo Caprino cinematograph and the movies there, -im sure the technology and cinema experience where epic in the mid 80s(Caprino made a 270° camera-rig which he used to make a few short movies), but its not been upgraded since then, so the experience for a modern audience will be mediocre or poor to the most. There are also a number of different restaurants and snackbars through the park, just make sure you have money to spend - it is expensive Norway still. Would avoid visiting the park during the norwegian holidayseason (mid june to late july) because of long lines.

All in all, a place I would recommend.

1  Thank tor82
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I visited for two whole days with our 2.5 year old son, and both he and we had a blast! Great activities for children of all ages, great theme and lots of places to buy food of all sorts and prices - including a great restaurant where you dine with the Trolls. There are a lot of activities, so I recommend at least one full day - but preferrably two. They have a great discount for two day tickets.

1  Thank MortenCB
Reviewed July 22, 2013

A lot of exciting activities for all ages, but also queues everywhere, some of them more than an hour... The great waffles are recommended!

2  Thank pnur
See more reviews
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Hunderfossen is most likely the best family park I’ve ever brought my kids to. The folklore theme, the trolls, the diverse array of activities certainly gave us a full days’ worth of entertainment. I had fond memories of visiting (a substantially smaller version of) the park as a child myself, but I was surprised to find that I enjoyed it just as much this time.

We’ve had rides through the Norwegian folk tales, tried to save a princess from the trolls (and failed..), gone go-carting (top speed 30 km/h), climbed and bathed. We’ve also visited the science center. Even though it seems oddly misplaced amongst all the trolls and fairytales, it was both amusing and enlightening. The 4D-screening of “The Little Prince” was another highlight.

What really strikes me with Hunderfossen compared to other amusement parks is that it seems calmer and quieter. I don’t know why, it certainly isn’t less commercial, but it just don’t have the hectic feel most of these parks usually has.

We even had dinner there, in the troll themed restaurant in the middle of the park. The interior and theme alone was worth the visit, but the food was also surprisingly good. We had a really good moose stew and some nice meatballs, but the calf was pure class: the best meat I’ve tasted for quite a while. The prices were really not bad either, less than 300 NOK for the most expensive main.

I’ll highly recommend a visit to Hunderfossen when you travel with children. We’ve spent 8 hours there today and (actually) look forward to another visit tomorrow.