“Norways best family park?”

Hunderfossen Familiepark
Ranked #2 of 27 things to do in Lillehammer
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Guarded by a 14 meter high troll, and behind the gates of the 37 meter tall fairy tale castle the treasure of the Norwegian folk stories is kept safe in Hunderfossen Family Park. Step insde and be a part of the fairy tales yourself.In the unique and mysterious atmosphere of Hunderfossen Family Park you will meet the prince and the princess, the King and the Queen, trolls and many other odd characters from the old Norwegain folk stories.
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Hunderfossen is most likely the best family park I’ve ever brought my kids to. The folklore theme, the trolls, the diverse array of activities certainly gave us a full days’ worth of entertainment. I had fond memories of visiting (a substantially smaller version of) the park as a child myself, but I was surprised to find that I enjoyed it just as much this time.

We’ve had rides through the Norwegian folk tales, tried to save a princess from the trolls (and failed..), gone go-carting (top speed 30 km/h), climbed and bathed. We’ve also visited the science center. Even though it seems oddly misplaced amongst all the trolls and fairytales, it was both amusing and enlightening. The 4D-screening of “The Little Prince” was another highlight.

What really strikes me with Hunderfossen compared to other amusement parks is that it seems calmer and quieter. I don’t know why, it certainly isn’t less commercial, but it just don’t have the hectic feel most of these parks usually has.

We even had dinner there, in the troll themed restaurant in the middle of the park. The interior and theme alone was worth the visit, but the food was also surprisingly good. We had a really good moose stew and some nice meatballs, but the calf was pure class: the best meat I’ve tasted for quite a while. The prices were really not bad either, less than 300 NOK for the most expensive main.

I’ll highly recommend a visit to Hunderfossen when you travel with children. We’ve spent 8 hours there today and (actually) look forward to another visit tomorrow.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

after we left solstrand hotel,we made a stop to this place.....gosh,it was amazing,huge park, a lot of variety of rides for toddlers,kids and adults,i love the huge chess on the floor..my uncle and i played there and you literally need to carry the Bishop to its destination..hahha..and you can't miss the gigantic troll with a restaurant in it...how cool is that?

1  Thank kaetlyn_sg
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Hunderfossen lies in beautiful surroundings and was a positive surprise. The fairy tale theme makes this a more unique experience, and compared to other amusement parks, this place has a more tranquil atmosphere and a slower tempo. (Some of the Ivo Caprino figures seem very dated however!) You pay for entry, and once inside, most activities are free of charge. Rebates for groups and next-day-return visits.

While there are no high profiled rides such as hurricane roller coaster or catapult rides, there are enough rides to excite the five year olds as well as the twelve year olds. Some of the more memorable activities (according to the kids) were the rafting, the revolving viking ship, the 4D movie theatre, and the driving school, featuring electric cars, authentic roads and even a free "driver's license". And being a more calm place even lets you sit down and enjoy a coffee while the kids range free(ish). Toward the end of the day it was time to hit the pool area - so bring your swimming gear!

There were enough concession stands and candy stations to please the needy, but without the insane intensity as elsewhere. As with most amusement parks it is recommended to bring your own food. The food is nothing out of the ordinary (grilled stuff, burgers, deep fried things) and the prices are quite high.
Therefore, bring a cooling bag with your burgers and hot dogs and grill them yourself in the grill area - free gas grills available! This was very popular, and there were plenty tables.

The Hunderfossen Familepark lies a short distance outside of Lillehammer, but the train stops right outside the amusement park. Unless you prefer a place in Lillehammer (very nice town), there is a nice hotel just a minute away from the park. Also, right next to the park is a camping area by the river.

1  Thank Cassiel_Agrippa
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Was here on closed company outing activity. They made for a couple of hours of fun activities and a good dinner.

1  Thank Lars H
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We spent a day at the amusement park with our five-year old son. Overall, we were very impressed by the park.
First of all, the park is beautifully located and blended with the area. It gives you a feel of being both out in nature and in an amusement park. Cudos to the makers for creating a park that also fits the area, instead of standing out like a sore thumb!
We decided to opt for a one-day pass and for our family that was enough time. From the time the park opened (10:00) until the park closed (17:00), we had plenty of time to walk around the park and try the activities we wanted to try.
I would advise other visitors to look at the handy park-map first. The map has a guide that clearly states what activities are suitable for the various heights (they go by height and not age). I might be wrong, but I got the impression that children under the height of 90cm do not have many activities to do. I also saw many children being turned away (because they were not tall enough) by staff, after standing in line for activities.
We tried most of the available activities for children up to 120 cm. Our son enjoyed the opportunities to drive both a car and a truck the most. Afterwards, he got a permit with his name on it! The whole family enjoyed the swimming pool area, with lots of space to swim and relax by the pool side.
The only draw-back is the prices of the food. As a Norwegian, I am used to parks being expensive. I was still surprised this time. We found the park to have grills available to use and lots of seating, so next time we will bring our own food to prepare!