“Disappointment.”

Neighborhood: Inner City
Vienna, Austria
“Disappointment.”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Do not order the 18 euro grilled beef. We ordered medium rare. When the steak arrived, we were shocked by its tiny size and unappetizing presentation. It was also overcooked. The waitress took the steak back and brought another one. It was tiny and again tough and overcooked. We told the waitress. The waitress said, "Too bad". The carrots and the beans served with the steak tasted stale. Nonetheless, we were charged for the steak without any apologies. Received grim, stony faces when we entered and left the restaurant. Overall, En is a depressing environment, which serves disappointment upon disappointment. I do not recommend anyone to go here unless they want to pay for a disappointing dining experience.

• Visited June 2013
5 Thank ginghamtraveller

Fort Worth, TX
“Good tempura, too…”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

It was another day for Japanese food, After coming across several good reviews about the restaurant “EN”, I went there.

The location is somewhat out of the way: though downtown, it’s rather away from the main tourist area (Kärtnerstraße, Stephansdom, Graben, Hofburg) but close to the Donaukanal, a channel off the river Danube which at one time, in olden times, was the main stream where the boats coming down the Danube river anchored in Vienna.

The weather was pleasant, and approaching the restaurant, I saw that they had already put out tables and chairs to sit outside, the “Schani-Garten”. There is very little traffic on that street, but I still selected to go for a table inside the restaurant. The intererior was very well done, light wooden furniture, while walls and ceiling, with dark brown beams; it reminded me of restaurants in Japan. All very nicely done.

Entering the restaurant, you have a sushi bar to the left; behind it, a very seriously looking Japanese sushi chef and his (non-Japanese) helper. In the kitchen, I noticed a Japanese cook, ostensibly in charge of the fried/cooked stuff.

Service personnel — one Japanese and one non-Japanese waitress — were very helpful without being obtrusive.

As a starter, I ordered some sake (o-kan… warm sake), and tidbits: ika-nattô (squid with fermented soybeans), together with shaved radish (daikon) and wasabi to mix with soy sauce. Very tasty.

Afterwards came “hokki-gai no nuta”. The nice part was that as maybe rather a decoration, there was a leaf of shiso (perilla) on the plate, very fragrant, very pleasant to the taste. The hokki mussel (“Sakhalin surf clam”) also was good, reminded me rather of the akagai mussel. The sauce however, was in my opinion not up to snuff: watery and overpowering taste of either Japanese mustard (one of the ingredients of nuta), or even wasabi (generally not an ingredient of nuta) which really killed the taste of the “nuta”. In the past, having prepared a number of times “nuta” (with bay, or sea scallops… much more appropriate than hokki) according to a classical recipe for my Japanese friends back in the U.S.A., I think I can judge the offering going by the name of “nuta”: at the restaurant “EN” the verdict is not exactly positive.

The main dish I ordered, tempura, was fairly well prepared: batter was a bit on the heavy side. It was a combination of several shrimp, a piece of fish and a number of vegetables. Dipping sauce (ten-tsuyu) was well prepared; finely grated white radish (daikon-oroshi) served for the sauce was a bit skimpy (not unusual in Japanese restaurants in Vienna) but my request for some more was quickly complied with. Obviously, you can’t expect the exquisite taste at a Japanese tempura restaurant’s food such as at the then iconic “Ten-ichi” in Tôkyô (I am not sure whether it exists anymor). Still, for tempura in Vienna, what EN had to offer was pretty good.

Prices are fairly reasonable, for a downtown restaurant. Credit cards accepted.

I enjoyed my experience at “EN”; nevertheless, I don’t believe it would deserve a special trip.

• Visited June 2013
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
“One of the Few Real Japanese Places in Vienna”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

With my wife being Japanese and I living in Japan for some 23 years, to find a true Japanese place in Vienna (that is really operated by Japanese management and chiefs) is a challenge. En (which means round in Japanese) has only a Japanese Kanji character street sign and is a small place out of the way in the 1st district that is truly Japanese. My wife says that the miso soup is just as good if not better than in Japan, the tempura and sushi is the same. Prices at dinner can be high, so try to go for lunch where they have the specials. All here are Japanese and the service is the high standard as in Japan.

• Visited February 2012
Rockport, Massachusetts
“Avocado Maki makes me smile”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Tucked in around the corner from Aera is this sweet sushi place called En, where I have found the avocado and cucumber maki just to my liking.Portions are fair along with the price.

Visited October 2012
Harstad, Norway
“Very good Japanes”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We were lucky to have this restaurant in our neighbourhood and soon decided we did not have to venture any further to have a break from the sausages and the goulash.
The menu is extensive - we only tried the sushi/maki/sashimi variations and they were excellent.
Service friendly and welcoming.
Interior décor could do with an upgrade. One dining area has no windows - to have a nice table book in advance on week-ends. On fine summer days the outside area is a nice alternative in this quiet street.

• Visited July 2012