“You really should go here”
Review of Herzog's Wirtshaus

Herzog's Wirtshaus
Ranked #511 of 4,675 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Austrian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 2, 2017

Only excuse is if you don't have cash; they don't take cards. I had a thing called Meat strudel soup which was maybe closest to wonton soup but not quite, also lamb goulash on noodles, and a local beer. All were excellent. The waitresses translate the handwritten menu which is just as well since the handwriting isn't that great :D

Reviewed September 27, 2017

The three of us, two adults one kid, popped in without reserving a table. They were very welcoming and friendly to sort us out despite they had no space. The food was freshly made, took about twenty minutes to be served, depending on the dish, while each dish was simply heavenly perfect for a regular price in an authentic Wienerische Gaststube. Having lived in Vienna for four years, discovered it three years later during my Visit in my old home, I am happy to come back, and if it is for Schnitzel only.

Reviewed September 18, 2017 via mobile

If you are looking for a special night out, go elsewhere! For a casual average meal with average service this was ok. Menu was all handwritten german which even my german friends couldn't read: menu limited and we had to wait ages before our food came (to be fair they did apologise as a huge group had come in before us... but we had booked some weeks before so really this should have been planned for). Just not my cup of tea all in all... cosy and good for chatting with friends on a casual night out...food didn't wow at all. But was freshly cooked. Would suggest a nice place to take the kids for some Austrian food.

Reviewed August 25, 2017

Big family from France enjoying Vienna for a few days. We came to this little restaurant after our visit to the Schönbrunn castle. The place is only a 10 min walk from the castle and is very quiet and pleasant.
The waitress is very polite and took the time to translate the menu, speaking of it, it is handwritten which is a nice detail and we all enjoyed our meal.
Good to know: the restaurant only takes cash.

Reviewed February 13, 2017

While there is not only traditional Viennese cuisine to be found here, everything is hand hand selected, hand cooked and served in incredible quality. The tables might have a more rustic charm, but don't let them or the simple entrance fool you: this is a place of highest cuisine. If it would be located in the first district it would be renown around the world, but on the other hand, maybe it's better that it's still a more unknown place to most visitors of Vienna.
Just let me say this: if you stumble across my review and you like to go where tourists normally not go and then be overwhelmed by one of the best cooks in Vienna, I would recommend this place to you.
Please call and reserve your table, it's quite small and the menu is most times handwritten on the same day. Don't expect that you can order from dozens of dishes. Better don't expect anything, except one of the best culinary experiences you can have in my town.