“Location, Location, Location!”
Review of Opera Suites

Opera Suites
Ranked #6 of 115 Vienna B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed in Opera Suites Apartment on the 6th Floor (Walfisschagge) with our two young children. We chose the apartment for the full kitchen and the separate sitting area. The apartment was very centrally located (two minute walk to the Opera House and an even closer walk to the main pedestrian walkway with shops and restaurants. Right across the street was a wonderful self serve restaurant called ViaPiano. You order your food (pizza, pasta and salads made to order) at a counter and wait for it and take it outside to eat alfresco. We loved the food and it was inexpensive option. The bedroom had two separate beds (full side bed and full sized pullout) and the living room was spacious. There is no air conditioning so we had the fans blowing on high. The only complaint is the very small and ill equipped bathroom. It was hard to take a decent shower. Note that because of the great location, this hotel/apartment is often booked so don't' expect an early check-in. Our overnight flight landed at 10 and we had to wait till 1:30 for our room. This was really the only inconvenience. Otherwise the staff was wonderful.

Room Tip: I am told the the apartment on the 7th floor is nicer. Eat at ViaPiano as much as possible.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank nsoumilas

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Opera Suites is located in the very heart of Vienna, thus location is unbeatable.
However, this place is advertised as an hotel, but it's rather a pension. It can be a bit hard to find and the reception is only open until 8 pm, then one can come and go with a door key.
Prices are reasonable considering the excellent location, but don't expect any hotel service.
The rooms are decent and simple. Very small TV set which made it difficult to watch without a pair of strong glasses.
There is no breakfast room, but guests can order room service the night before. Options are varied and quite affordable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pcberlin1
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed at the Opera Suites Aparments (Walfischgasse) and It´s a big apartment with full kitchen, washing machine, fans, heat, It´s better located than Opera Suites ´cause it´s just round the corner of Opera and It´s not in the middle of the pedestrian area avoiding noise and the crowded streets. It´s about 3 minutes from the metro station and you can reach a lot of sightseeing in a couple of minutes by foot. You don´t have parking but there´s a Public Parking for just 7 Euros for 24 hours. It´s very important and cheap to those who are traveling with a car (like we). The rooms aren´t old like I read from the Opera Suites; they are clean and are perfect to rest if you are traveling between other hotels and want to stay in a place where you can even buy some special and local food at the Market (there´s a shopping center 2 blocks with a complete Market). You have a Starbucks a Jalapiano in front of you and under the building there´s a Nespresso. If we came back to Viena, there´s a great chance to stay again at this hotel. The only negatives point that I can mention is that the elevator is very small and the reception of the hotel is located at the Opera Suites and is not open 24 hours. But just give a call if you need something. At least, there´s a wifi router just for your apartment.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Fabio A
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Roomy apartments near the Opera House. Full kitchen with espresso machine, washing machine, and dishwasher. Grocery store less than a block away. No A/C but they provide fans. 5 min. Walk from St. Stephan Cathedral.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

I will preface this review by saying that I love staying in authentic, cultural areas when I travel. For exp: my favorite places to stay in Paris are little flats on a quiet street in neighborhoods such as Les Marais...lots of locals and lots of character!

That being said, I have to say that while this hotel was very central, it was on the most touristy pedestrian street I have ever been on. Within blocks you will find a McDonalds, Starbucks, Burger King, Forever 21, and a million tacky souvenir shops. There is even a souvenir shop directly below the hotel (which only fills one or two floors of a building) that played loud techno music all day. This was very disheartening to me and honestly because I was a solo female traveler and didn't feel super comfortable walking miles and miles alone at night really put a damper on my experience.

The hotel rooms were quaint but nice and the staff were quite helpful, however unfortunately the neighborhood was just so unappealing to me that it really overshadowed all of the good qualities of the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank mollyms619
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Both the location and the staff here are absolutely wonderful. The hotel is right on the main pedestrian walkway, opposite the Opera House. My wallet and credit cards were stolen in Budapest several days earlier and I was still trying to sort things out when I arrived in Vienna. Markus, who owns the hotel, let me use his phone -- which required two hours to sort out -- free of charge until all was settled. He also reconfirmed my flights when I need to rebook because of a cancelation. Both he and his staff are delightful, warm, flexible people -- and fantastic at providing tour information, restaurant suggestions (Plachutta the best restaurant of my entire stay) and directions. The rooms, however, are a bit old, and the ones on the first floor seem a bit isolated, since the main desk and staff are above, on the second floor.
I'd suggest asking for a second-floor room so you can be nearer the staff (instead of having to trudge upstairs for directions, suggestions) if you're looking for some friendly faces before and after you finish your day. (I was traveling alone, so having some warm conversations was probably more impt to me than to others traveling with companions.) Markus was also flexible in letting me leave a day early, in spite of my having reserved for 7 nights, which I very much appreciated. In the mid-range of prices, this hotel is a good value for the location and cost.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

We spent 5 nights in the Opera Suites recently. Our room was very nice and a good size. Nice touches: a bottle of wine to welcome us with great fruit and candy. Such a lovely gesture! We found the staff extremely helpful with whatever we asked them for. I was glad I had read it was right next to Starbucks or we would never have found it. It fronts a pedestrian street and I believe their sign was being replaced because there was only a small placard. Our room had a Built in kitchenette which was nice since breakfast is not included. You have to order it ahead and I thought it was pricey. There is a large shopping area with a nice grocery nearby so we bought cereal, juice, etc., and it worked out well. The location is perfect to just about everything. We walked everywhere and only used the subway (which is across the street) to go to Schonbrunn. You would be hard pressed to find a place more conveniently located. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2013