“Creative and excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles

Mraz & Sohn
Ranked #169 of 4,076 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: European, International, Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
darmstadt
“Creative and excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2011

I am visiting Vienna only once or twice a year and a visit at Mraz & Son has top priority on my agenda. The place offers creative cooking at its best. True, some compositions are unusual, maybe even daring, but always a pleasant surprise. In a nutshell: unique, delicious, creative, clever and unusual.

The size of the portions is matched to the number of dishes you order - so even the degustation menue with 9 items plus 2 surprises from the kitchen is not too much to eat. All menues are available with accompagnying wines at a moderate price, which makes it easy unless you know your wines and have preferences.

The ambiance is not overly cosy or snug, but then this is a place to enjoy perfectly prepared food of outstanding quality and not a place for a romantic tete-a-tete tucked away in a corner.

Being a foodie I have visited many highly praised restaurants all over europe, many of which I found overrated and overpriced. Not so Mraz & Sohn. For me this restaurant belongs to the absolute top! True it can be pricey, but there are other significantly more expensive places which cannot match the quality and creativeness here.

This restaurant is located away from the tourism mainstream districts of Vienna and a bit hard to find if you drive yourself. Better use a taxi - even though not all drivers know where the place is. The "remoteness" is of a certain advantage because there are virtually no "walk-ins" and the clientele is of a certain quality (at least most of them)

Summary: Do not miss!

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank weinweber

• Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
“We had a great time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2011

We opted to have just three courses from the a la carte which proved to be the right decision after a fairly big lunch. The food was great and the suggested wine complimeted nicely. We would love to go back.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank Nigel B
Vienna, Austria
“Poor service, food just ok. Little value for money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

Hello,

we visited Mraz & Sohn last Friday evening. First problem was booking: we wanted to have dinner at 21.00 but latest allowed was 20.30. When we arrived there, next problem was that they sat us at a table separated from the dining room, just between the entrance and the kitchen, from where we could see the work of the cooks, smell the melting cheese and the fish, enjoy the come-and-go of the waiters and suffer the cold air coming from the front door. We asked for another table, but they said they were all fully booked. Such table should simply not exist in a restaurant that sells itself as high-end. However, when I managed to peek into the dining hall I realised that tables were placed side by side enabling little intimacy in what I would describe as a perfect opportunity to engage into conversation with the guests in the tables around you. That said, I also found quite disgusting to have to dry my hands with a used hand-towel at their small and uncomfortable WC.

We were welcome with a watery water-menu and a nice set of home-made assortment of bread. We simply wanted local water from the Alps (one of the best of the world), but the waitress insisted quite a lot in that we ordered any of the most expensive bottles. We were also given the wine menu, with an excellent collection of wines in their cellar, although prices four-folded those in retail. I have never held any respect about restaurants displaying such practices: they add little value, but however expect much from it. At that point we were about to leave the restaurant, but we decided to stay. A fine Italian red wine was the choice, a right one, although for the price I would have appreciated the use of a decanter, since there were plenty of deposits at the still bottom of the bottle. Again, little attention to detail.

We then received the menu, rolled inside a beautiful stand with a greeting surprise from the cook. This was probably the best of the food we tried there, really delicious. We decided to go for the set 5-course, international cuisine, summer menu, consisting of some not really remarkable dishes including Prawn, Tuna rolls, Octopus, Lamb, Cheese assortment, Sweet.

Being born at the mediterranean coast I am used to eating lots of fresh fish and seafood, and in this setting I have to say that not so educated palates may find these dishes original and tasty. In my humble opinion, probably cheese was the best of them all. I particularly found quite disgusting to find thin stripes of pork fat placed on the dish as a delicatessen joining the quite dry and raw tuna rolls, the taste of the marinated octopus dangerously reminding that of tinned octopus, or the fact that the fat of the lamb had not melted off to enrichen the sauce, but stayed with the meat signaling a too quick and hot stay in the oven. The one single prawn was served in a plastic sphere, which awoke expectations of original fragances inside, but they however just did not exist and the shape of the container made it difficult to reach for its sauce.

Regretfully I am just mentioning cheese and wine as the best moments of the evening. Just all what had not been prepared in that kitchen. The pace was also unpleasant, since we were pushed through the first four dishes in just about an hour. I was somehow happy because we had booked a beautiful table for an evening cocktail at the trendy skybar of a nearby hotel, but suddently the rythm in the kitchen declined to a total of three hours to finish our dinner, indeed too late to get to our next venue, ending thus in an early night-in.

We paid slightly over a hundred euro per head. Frankly speaking, it is possibly the best restaurant that I have visited in Vienna so far, but when you are a versed, traveled individual, you quickly understand that the value you get for the money is really low. It was however nice to find an option outside the traditional viennese kitchen that you will find in the risk-averse 99% of the restaurants of the city.

And the restaurant is always fully-booked! It just tells me there is a market niche for entrepreneurs of the haute-cuisine in Vienna. Good luck for you, please let me know if you ever need a business partner, count me in.

• Visited July 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Javier_19731202
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sensational and extremely creative in every facet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

Having frequented multiple Michelin rated restaurants in the world, I am not always in agreement..however, this Vienesse institution is surreal! Excellent presentation (very thoughtful and integrated)..outstanding quality of ingredients cooked to perfection. A++

1 Thank Andrewcap
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Disappointing, trying too hard to be everything to everyone”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2011

We really looked forward to trying Mraz & Sohn after reading other reviews, but did not enjoy the experience. Firstly we were seated in a corner between a large, loud party and the servers station. Not ideal, however we were comfortable enough and decided to enjoy the meal and press on. Then we were preseneted with the "water" menu, which is when we should have excused ourselves. A menu of 20 water varieites that were available. Again, we had a laugh and decided to crack on.
The set menu with wine selected for us was disappointing to say the least. None of the courses jumped out for varying reasons, but generally it was just trying too hard to be clever. There was more emphasis on dramatic presentation than on the quality of the dish (a personal pet-hate). And the extras got to be too much, selecting from a range of different breads to go with the cheese course (a bizarre experience, considering it was expected before the cheese was presented and after a "bread course" at the start of the meal), the cheese trolley with 30+ cheeses was the high-light for me, let down by the bread trick.
The wine matching was not great, there was a concentration on a single provider and we had only one red for the entire meal. The whites got too much after a while.

• Visited April 2011