“Fabulous location and great food.”
Review of Palmenhaus

Palmenhaus
Ranked #133 of 4,264 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Inner City
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Fabulous location and great food.”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I was one of a party of 14 for dinner at this atmospheric restaurant and they coped admirably. The service was efficient and friendly. The fish dishes were very good, as was the pasta and ricotta. The desserts were imaginative and tasty. The dry wine recommended was sweeter than our English palates are used to but quaffable non the less. This was the case with all wine during our stay. The space is large but doesn't feel like it. The setting is unique with food that doesn't disappoint.

• Visited March 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“I am the king of the swingers”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

The location in Vienna's largest greenhouse is truly spectacular, with beautiful 100 year old ironwork, massive tress and bushes between the tables and massive beautifully manicured lawns outside.The service varies between adequate and random.They acknowledged we had made a reservation for that night , but had failed to transfer it to the night sheet , so there was a rush to find us a table.Thereafter the service was charming when it turned up. the asparagus soup was pleasant. The roe deer was well cooked , but the apple strudel, which I was looking forward to , had thick pastry,unremarkable contents and tasted as if it had been purchased eslewhere in a job lot.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank downbeat
London
“Good food and ambience but service over-stretched”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

We had an early evening dinner on 1 May and it's clearly a very popular venue. Food was great, particularly the starters (we had the scallops and the asparagus soup, followed by a pasta dish and the chicken with garlic risotto). Unlike in some of the traditional Vienna restaurants, the portions were manageable ! There was also a big choice of wines including a good selection by the glass. We ate inside which was very light and airy, though the tables are packed quite closely together. We paid 80 Euros in total for two courses, two glasses of wine and the cover/bread charge. We thought this was pretty good value for money, considering the location. The only issue was the service. Our waiter worked very hard but was covering more tables than he could really cope with. As the area filled up, things got slower and slower. We were OK but one couple got fed up with waiting for their order to be taken and left. Not sure if this was just a problem on that particular evening or whether it's a more widespread issue. But we would certainly go back there and would recommend it to others.

• Visited May 2014
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great for people watching”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Overlooks park behind the museum. Nice place to relax and have a drink or lunch. Can be very crowded but staff did excellent job.

Visited May 2014
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“It's Vienna / Open Your Wallet”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Scenic View, Outdoor Seating is all you get, that's all. Staff extremely annoying, there was one skin-headed person that was moving plates and menus around like he would be playing football, I think most of the tables around those waiters would need a sticker on each chair saying "I'm not a football player". However, I think that some waiters can have their good and bad days and that handling a lot of customers everyday can be very bothering. I have the feeling that some of the waiters are probably "embarrassed" to be a waiter, but I think there is nothing to be ashamed of. For some people going cooking is only for eating, but actually cooking is a job too. Personally speaking I have respect of people running a restaurant or being a waiter also must be done by someone that has strong nerves. Overall, only getting to the Palm House for a cup of coffee or having a soft-drink is fine, I attached some invoice examples of your overall spending. We did start with a coffee and a Bitter Lemon for EUR 6, later had a bottle of white-wine, a big cheese platter with bread. I actually cannot believe that one bread-basket is only offers 4 slices of bread, so we had to order a "double bread-basket" for EUR 1,20 x 2 (double). At least it is more affordable than Cafe Landtmann just around the corner, at there you will be charged EUR 1,50 per piece. The cheese platter is EUR 11,70 / you may need 3 bread-baskets, because you may be ending up eating cheese without bread. I would at least expect that the cheese platter would have some crackers on it, or at least some wine grapes. I eat better in Emirates Airlines Business / First-Class, than in a restaurant, maybe this is because I like eating in an airplane better than actually going to a restaurant in Austria especially. The table next to us ate lunch with starters, some ice-cream on top of that and spent EUR 220, don't go there for lunch, only go there if you would like to have a cup of coffee / or a glass of wine with cheese, it is the cheapest way to enjoy the most, when considering that usually each meal (even starters is starting from EUR 13 and main courses are EUR 25-35 on average). Gave the waitress a few coins as tip, but what I don't get: everywhere it says that you can use credit-card and when I asked for the check the waiter said: "Yes you can use card, but I prefer cash". So I was about to give her my bank card and when I didn't even open my card-bad she said "But I prefer cash". So my question was "why don't you just say, cash on and remove stickers all over the place saying "MasterCard, VISA Cards Accepted"? And on top of that they are expecting to give you tips. What for? Because one bread-basket has 4 slices of bread, you are saying cards are accepted but cash is preferred, or are you charging for moving around plates, fork and knives when considering it as music? If you do consider moving your equipment around like a bass player, than play in a band, but don't get into the restaurant business. Overall, it has been a lovely noon, great environment, but def. not good price for value. I usually always compare Austrian's pricing with the Abu Dhabi 8 Star Palace, the Burj Al Arab 7 Star Hotel or the Atmosphere at Burj Khalifa. Can't wait to be back in the Emirates, for EUR 55 in one afternoon, I can spend one whole noon and afternoon in a palace, heading to a bathroom with 24k gold in my skin-cream in the washroom and eat with silver-spoons, when having a private waiter next to me and in fact, they would even clean your sunglasses if they feel it is necessary. At least those waiters are proud to be waiters and what I don't get: people say Venice is expensive, but actually this would be fairy-tale.

• Visited May 2014