“Traditional Austrian pub/restaurant”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Inner City
Reviewed May 26, 2014

If you are looking for traditional Austrian fare and atmosphere this is a good bet. I had the Weiner Schnitzel and (several) glasses of the local white wine. At 2.50 euro per glass I found it good value and very quaffable. The Schnitzel was excellent quality and and judging by other diners' plates a house speciality. I hadn't made a reservation but they managed to fit me in giving me a place at the bar. This worked out very well and I was soon chatting to Harry, a local, who pops into the place most nights. He was very good company and quickly made me feel very at home in this place. So I recommend that you play the place a visit and look out for Harry at the bar.

2  Thank steve0b

Reviewed May 18, 2014

Having just arrived in Vienna and seeking an evening meal we got caught in a heavy shower and dived into Gasthaus Pöschl for shelter and sustenance. The welcome could not have been warmer. Even though it was fully booked and crowded, mainly with locals, they somehow managed to find us a table. The service was good as was the food and we would certainly go back again. Its big drawback is that the room is cramped. It is certainly not a place if you want "fine dining".

Reviewed May 10, 2014

Asparagus soup is amazing! Great beef goulash, yummy bread. Was crowded, i suggest a reservation, without one u may be seated at the worlds smallest table like we were.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

We came here attracted by the pretty good ranking it has on Tripadvisor... among the best 40 restaurants in Vienna, and also in the very center of the city.
We found a kind of restaurant that would shut down in its first week if it was in any other big city of Europe. Old furniture, smell of fried food all over, something 20 years ago would still have been acceptable in a capital city. Food is not that cheap (still not expensive), portions are poor.
Waiters are formal and distant, no smiles, no relation at all with the guests.
I don't understand all those positive reviews about this place.

2  Thank antoniogambadoro
Reviewed May 3, 2014

My husband had the schnitzel and I had a big salad the first time we went. The schnitzel is one of the best in town, by far, and the food list itself sounded so good, we went back to try other items on the list. We were not disappointed.
Nice, down to Earth, and the schnitzel is simply great - as is the potato salad that accompanies it.

1  Thank AnnaHB2