“Disappointing and tatty”

Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mariahilf
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Bearing in mind the reputation of this place, the upholstery of the furniture was not in keeping. Very threadbare in places and would have been on its way to the tip if we owned it. Cakes were nothing special but the waitress was pleasant and the coffee very good.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Very nice old Cafe in the center of Vienna city. Nice atmosphere, good coffee and cakes (strudel as well). If you want to see pure Vienna - go there!
The only one thing - the waiter "forgot" about my Topfenstrudel and I was forced to remind him.
But I guess that was accidental.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

We had a group of about 15 people for a farewell party of a colleague of ours. We were seated in a very small space including a table with about 40 cm in diameter for 4.5 people. Of course, all the dinner dish did not fit in, and so two of us had to eat on another table. The food was very, very, basic. The only good impression about the food I had was the good price. Overall, however, the only feature to select this cafe would be the interior decoration/atmosphere in a convenient location. I have to say I do not think I have a special reason to go back to this place.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

I saw all the negative reviews about this place but didn't let that deter me and I was right. This place was great. I loved the ambiance and decor of the place - it was beautiful and period without being too staunchy. The people there were very relaxed - a mix of tourists and locals. The waitstaff was attentive and pleasant but not naggingly present. I enjoyed getting my Melange with whipped cream and cheesecake strudel - delicious but oh so heavy! I stayed for about an hour and no one tried to give me a check until I asked. They spoke English and had an English menu. I highly recommend.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

If you want to experience a true Viennese Coffeehouse that has not changed in over 100 years, please go here and enjoy the authentic limited desserts, such as two types of strudel, sacher torte which will satisfy the constant complainers of the Hotel Sacher's version since this one is moister, a kugeloph and two others.
Service is all in German by Austrian ladies who seem to have worked here all of their lives. Do not bombard them with questions or special requests, just order what's on the menu, relax and enjoy the time warp.
If your going to complain and write snide remarks to tripadvisor about this establishment, go to Starbucks instead.