“Lovely outdoor casual Sunday evening”
Review of Witwe Bolte

Witwe Bolte
Ranked #1,345 of 4,551 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Austrian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Neubau
Description: Most Welcome! To the "six legged lion inn", nowadays turned into a well known restaurant, the "Witwe Bolte". The old fashioned restaurant is situated in the famous Spittelberg district. The baroque building carries the inscription "Durch dieses Tor im Bogen ist Kaiser Josef II geflogen, 1778" which translates to ,,through this archway emperor Josef II was thrown out", a remainder of one of his infamous and notorious visits to the pub. Please enjoy our delicious Austrian specialities, our seasonal delicacies and our vegetarian viands. Some declare a gourmet heaven, where you can feel the historic atmosphere of the Spittelberg area while sitting calmly in our wonderful and well kept garden or inside in one of our rustic parlors and cozy snuggeries. A glass of our carefully selected red and white wines from all important Austrian wine regions completes every dinner and makes it an unforgettable experience. Bolte's restaurant The atmosphere in our main dining area can be described as typically viennese, with comfortably cushioned wooden chairs and benches, small intimate tables and lush decorated walls. Life is reduced to the simple joy of delicious food like a juicy Schweinsbraten (pork roast) or the famous Wiener Schnitzel (Viennese escalope), served with a glass of good wine from the Wachau region. You can experience our affection for detail in our various snuggeries. Please choose between the Lehrer Lampel Stube (schoolmaster Lampel parlor), the Rabenstube (raven parlor) or the Schneiderstube (dressmaker parlor), each referring to a character of the famous author Wilhelm Busch, as well as the Wilhelm Busch Stuberl
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Tree canopied Patio faces Spittlegasse, namesake of Spittleberg neighborhood, and menu options include updated Viennese favorites (beef) and a well presented trout. First course Pork Aspic was a timbale of meat with accompaniments. The simple salad was lettuce, cucumbers and potato salad vinaigrette ... Surprisingly good. Very casual and service was attentive.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I really love the food in Austria and all of the restaurants that I have been to in different parts of Austria are having both great food and great service. This one doesn't and I'm really sorry that I didn't read the reviews prior to this visit. It was a dinner for a bigger party, and we made reservations on the same day. When we arrived it felt like they were punished with our presence and the money we were gonna spend there. During all night service was rude, ignoring requests, missing stuff and generally lousy. Beef tatar for starters was probably the lousiest one I've ever tried. Wiener Schnitzel for the main course was war good, although served with the salad (which I didn't request) and without potatoes (which were suggested, but never arrived). Apfelstrudel for the end was very good, but everything was ruined by this lousy service.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

i live here and we had decided to go there for dinner w a friend. we made a reservation and when we arrived on time therw was no table. since there is no bar in the resto and ut was pouring iutside we asked qhere ri wair and dor how long. answer: why dont you just wait outside in rhe garden? we didnt but stood by the entrance and left after 15 mina stinking of deep fried food and happy not to have got a rable in this tourist cheat.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

This was the first place we visited during our stop in Vienna. We had just checked into the Maria Therisia Hotel which was the next street over. It was a nice day so we sat outside. My wife had Winer Schnitzel and I had a pork dish. Both were good. She had a glass of wine and I had a beer. The place has a 1.90 cover charge and it was probably the most expensive lunch on the trip.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

This was the first place I went to to eat on my recent trip to Vienna. I've got the recommendation from the hotel receptionist. Shortly it can be described as authentic Austrian cuisine and friendly atmosphere on a quiet street hidden from general traffic.

I haven't booked anything in advance so just headed there and hoped for the best. On arrival I've been welcomed by a guy (whose photo is on their web site - owner? or just a waiter?) who turned out to be the only waiter servicing the room that was closest to the entrance. The place is pretty small but this is what you'd normally expect to see in these old buildings in Vienna. However, the atmosphere was very nice and friendly. Even though it was a busy Saturday night it wasn't noisy inside. On the first night in Vienna I started with a clear beef soup and got Viennese Schnitzel for the main course. The soup was surprisingly delicious (later I discovered that soups in Vienna are particularly good in other restaurants too), whereas the schnitzel was good, but nothing really special - just good.

The staff was useful and attentive to customers. The other thing that I've noticed is that the place is disabled people friendly - they happily helped a wheel-chair person to get inside and re-arranged tables in such a way that allowed to accomodate the customer comfortably for everyone.

I will definitely go there again on my next visit to Vienna.