“Helpful staff but definitely a budget” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gartenhotel Altmannsdorf Hotel 2

Gartenhotel Altmannsdorf Hotel 2
Ranked #259 of 367 Hotels in Vienna
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Helpful staff but definitely a budget”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

My first impressions of this hotel were good. It was easy to find, the lobby is nice and the staff are very helpful and friendly. However, my room was quite disappointing. There were stains all over the carpet, spider webs on the bathroom ceiling, and big stains on a bench in my room. The furniture was nothing special but it was ok. However, the beds and linens were really comfortable so that's a plus. The big problem was the internet. I had already read about it online but thought I could manage. The only internet in the rooms is by a cable but I only brought my tablet so I couldn't get it. I had to use the internet in the lobby which wasn't too terrible until the internet stopped working for a whole day. This was inconvenient as I plan where I'm going to go with the internet.
The location isn't bad. It's about a 5 minute walk from the Ubahn station and right next to an atm and pennymarkt. My only problem was how quiet the neighborhood was. I felt slightly uncomfortable walking home late at night because no one was out and about.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank StaceyM1
Michael W, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Gartenhotel Altmannsdorf Hotel 2, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear guest,

thank you very much for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay. I´m really happy that your stay with us was overall good. We have already informed our housekeeping department about the lack of cleanliness in the room, I can assure you that this is not our normal standard and we would really like to excuse for this. I am very sorry that you had problems with the internet connection, we are constantly working to improve it and to avoid such failures. Unfortunately we do not have a wireless connection in the rooms by now, but will have it in the near future. I can assure you as well that the area around the hotel, although it seems very quiet, is a very safe one, I am living in this area (200m from the hotel) myself together with my wife for 5 years, and we never had any problems or heard about that.
Hopefully we can welcome you again on your next visit to Vienna and show you that we can make your stay even more comfortable.
Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Czech first
Latvia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

We did stay at Gartenhotel Altmannsdorf Hotel 2, on Hoffingergasse 33, Vienna 1120, Austria for 3 nights. The hotel was exactly what we did expect from three start hotel. We came by car and it was easy to find the hotel only thanks to navigation device. However it was easy to access the hotel and only inconvenience was - very narrow parking places within garage. The interior was modest and a little bit worn out, but absolutely satisfactory to our needs and corresponding to the price we paid. The surroundings were really silent, but not vacant. There are blocks of flats nearby, some small shops within the same building, and a pharmacy shop close to entrance. The hotel offers only breakfast in cafeteria on the ground floor, but there is a good selection of places, where you can get a different food of your choice. There is an oriental restaurant some 200 m from the hotel (take Stüber-Günther-Gasse – within the residential complex) with broad spectrum of different Asian food. Another option is pizzeria, which is located next to oriental restaurant. In case your preference is Austrian cuisine or you would like enjoy Sturm, you may go to “Zum Alte Pflug” on Hetzendorfer Straße.
The staff behind the registration desk and waiters in the breakfast room was helpful. The breakfast was quite a simple, but we enjoyed it. At first we did reservation through the Internet and did reserve rooms for two nights only, but afterwards it came out that we shall stay longer in Vienna. We did prolong our stay for one more night. When we asked concerning accessing the Internet, we were provided with cables needed.
Although we did use our own car, there is a metro station not far from the hotel. Summarizing I would rather recommend this hotel for tourists looking for an economy class hotel in Vienna.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JanisLatvia
Michael W, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Gartenhotel Altmannsdorf Hotel 2, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear guests,

thank you very much for taking the time to forward us your feedback on your stay. I am really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you as well for the many recommendations on what to do around our hotel, I am sure that other guests will find this quite helpful.

Hoping to welcome you again in our hotel I remain

with best regards
Director of Sales & Marketing
United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

I am writing this review while sipping beer in Garten Hotel 2's counter part, i.e. Hotel 1.
Well, this review is about Garten Hotel 2.

Summary:
Garten Hotel 2 is an average 3 star hotel. Rooms are not bad, hotel is in a residential location in Am Schopfwerk station. The hotel staff is excellent and that lifts up the entire experience.

Details:

I stayed in Garten Hotel 2 for 5 nights in early Sepetember 2012 for a business visit to Vienna.
On the whole I was not impressed by the hotel, but the hotel staff was so nice, my experience and opinion about the hotel has improved.

Hotel Location: Average
The hotel is located in sector 33 of Vienna (to the best of my knowledge). This is quiet far from the town center and one would either have to take a taxi or a train to reach town center. The train is easily accessible, however you would have to change at two stations to reach the center. By Taxi it would cost about 25 EUR and by Train, it would cost you about 2 EUR one way.
Otherwise, the nearby location is peaceful and I found it to be a residential location.

Rooms: Average to bad
The hotel rooms are bad due to many considerations
- on the whole, the decor of the room was non inspiring with dead walls and crazy furniture.
- the room did not have a WiFi internet connection. So I had to use a LAN connector to connect to internet. Both ends of the cable were broken so the cable kept coming out. (WiFi was available in lobby though)
- It appeared to me that the hotel had given no though to guest's convenience. The wall socket for plugging LAN cable was placed such that I had to lie flat on the ground to access it (Room 479)
- Hotel does not have air conditioning or fans. So on the first two days of my stay, I could not sleep comfortably due to the heat. (however, given that vienna has a long winter, this may not be a problem for most)
- The bed was comfortable, but not luxurious
- Bathroom was small, but clean and sufficient. Since the curtain was not good enough, the water used to drip out all over the floor.

Staff: Excellent
The reason I do not detest my stay at Hotel 2 is because of the good staff. Very rarely I have found the entire staff of the hotel uniformly courteous and helpful. During my 5 days of stay, I interacted with the different receptionists, restaurant staff & house keeping. All were always smiling and ready to help. They were warm and due to that I felt welcome at the hotel.
I would rate the whole staff better than many other 4 or 5 star hotels that I have stayed in.

Breakfast: Reasonable
The breakfast was continental, as expected and I found it to be ample. I am a vegetarian, so that choice was limited for me, but for others, the choice was ample.

Would I stay there again? Well, I would prefer not to.

Note:
On the last day, I went to Hotel 1 and really liked the hotel. I did not see the rooms, but on the whole I loved the ambiance and the settings. It is a 4 star hotel with lot of other facilities such as Fitness center, Sauna, Bar, etc. The hotel 1 is about 300 meters away from hotel 2.
If you are considering staying at Garten hotel, I would surely recommend Hotel 1 over Hotel 2.
The staff is the same ( I saw the hotel 2 staff here). I also found out that guests staying at hotel 2 can use Hotel 1 facilities.

Room Tip: Choose to stay on rooms on higher floors towards the front of the hotel. (Room No. 479 is a corner r...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael W, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Gartenhotel Altmannsdorf Hotel 2, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear guest,

thank you very much for taking the time to write your impressions of your stay. I am very sorry that we did not meet all your expectations, but I am happy to hear that our staff overexceeded your expectations. After telling them your impressions they were very happy and even did remember you from your stay and would like to send you all the best wishes and are looking forward to welcome you again.
Director of Sales&Catering
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

The rooms are not very big, but the staff is very friendly and solved all my inquiries very fast. There is a U-Bahn station (Am Schöpfwerk) near the hotel -less than 10min walk- so you can get anywhere in the city quite quick.
The only downside is that they don't have any wi-fi in the rooms, only in the public area downstairs. There is internet available in the rooms but only with cable - at the time I arrived there were not any cables left. Not a problem for my short stay, but normally that would have been a BIG problem.
Breakfast is very simple, but enough and decent.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank gutzanu
Michael W, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Gartenhotel Altmannsdorf Hotel 2, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Dear guest,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am especially happy about the praise of our staff. We have now seen that we need to organise a few more internet cables, so that on your next stay with us this problem will not arise.

Director of Sales, Marketing & PR
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2010

Helpful friendly staff all with good English;the rooms were very clean but the decor very tired;no Hotel directory available in English nor a kettle/cups etc in rooms

The food served was Ok but the Breakfast very good -watch out for the excellent Multi-vite Juice

Good for a business meeting

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Thank anne.toddlambie
Nuremberg, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2010

I've stayed at the hotel for 5 days during my trainig course and chose it because it was near to the company. My first impression when I came to the room was, that I was in some student hostel and not some 3* hotel in Vienna. The carpet and the walls were dirty in the room, as well as in the whole fourth floor. The furniture was very simple and it looked old and worn-out.
On the other hand, the bathroom looked quiet modern and clean. The bed was really comfortable.
My room was facing the backside of the street, so it was quite quiet during the night. All around the hotels were just new concrete residential buildings, nothing green, as the hotel implies. The breakfast was served in the only restaurant hotel has, just next to the reception desk. It was quiet simple, but enough if you are here for business.
The position of the hotel is not perfect if you want some sightseeing to the Vienna old town, but not far away from the Schönbrunn palace. For anything else then business you need subway and the closest station was about 10 min walk.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business