“Ripped off”

Ranked #37 of 78 Coffee & Tea in Vienna
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Inner City
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I used to go 10 - 15 years ago when I lived in Vienna and Mr and Mrs Havelka were still alive. I remember Mrs Havelka who was already in her late 70s or 80s greeting me at the door and taking me by the end to a table (I was not a kid). Prices were never low as this cafe but that was to be expected as it is close to Stephansdome in the heart of Vienna.

I went recently to Vienna on vacation and to my disappointment this has become a tourist trap. The atmosphere is nice (antique and worn out decadence) and the buchteln the cafe is famous are still good.

However paying 17 Euros for 2 coffees and a little plate of buchteln is truly a rip off. Service is horrible as it has always been (even when the founders were alive, they used to employ a waiter that had become a legend for his rudeness)

Stay away. there are many other cafes a little farther away that are more reasonably priced and have an authentic Viennese atmosphere

4  Thank David V
There are newer reviews for Cafe Hawelka

Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Walked in the door of this Viennese coffee shop and loved the decor and feeling inside immediately.  It was very busy with a bow tie wearing waiter moving between tables. We waited by the door unable to see a free table and the waiter came towards us but instead of a friendly welcome, he threw a newspaper on a table next to us and walked away with no acknowledgement at all.  We waited a few minutes more and again he came our way but again said nothing and turned and walked away.  At this point we left but the next day we decided maybe it was one impolite waiter so we went back.

There were different staff and we were shown to a table but the service still was not good.

The only consolation was that the food was excellent but with such poor service, its not somewhere I would go again and not somewhere I would recommend to friends.

1  Thank twjnorth
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This is one of the most expensive cafes in Vienna. The service is good, but prices are very high.
There is no menu and I guess there is a good reason for this, because you will be very surprised when you get your bill....

3  Thank IvoH H
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Nice cafe for a coffee/beer. No smoking, no pretense. Certainly not a place with white linen and fancy waitstaff. Instead, art-cinema posters and a bohemian vibe. Went twice for drinks while in Vienna.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Part of "Coffee Culture". We looked this place up deliberately at reading reviews and we were not disappointed. Excellent service, considering we do not speak German. You can stay as long as you like