“Overpriced in every way with "hidden" costs”

Trattoria Martinelli (Ristorante)
Ranked #1,377 of 4,198 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Inner City
Description: This traditional Italian Trattoria in the heart of Vienna is one of the gastronomic classics of the city and only a few steps away from some of the greatest monuments in the Viennese History. You will enjoy authentic Italian food prepared with fresh ingredients imported from Italy. The Restaurant was recently awarded with 13 points from the international restaurant guide Gault Milliau, which equals to one toque. The philosophy of our cuisine: We only use fresh products either from the market or raw products – all coming from either Austria or imported from Italy – to tempt you into the experience of a culinary explosion. We are known for combining traditional, fresh produce with new, creative culinary ideas and serving them in an elegant, yet authentically regional setting. Please see our Website for more Information regarding our Menu. We can can also create special Menu’s in case you are looking for only halal, vegan or vegeterian food!
Vienna, Austria
“Overpriced in every way with "hidden" costs”
Reviewed January 14, 2011

Let me start this review with the fact that I have wanted to try this restaurant out for over a year. I am of Italian heritage, lived with an Italian grandma who has cooked for me and visited Italy multiple times.

1. They substitute years of the wine from the menu without telling you ahead of time! We ordered a 2005 and they try to give us a 2008 without asking if it is OK. If you want to be taken seriously as a restaurant keep your wine card up to date or make an "error" in my favor.

2. What was given to us was not what was ordered from the menu. The dishes advertised were more complex than what was served and the sides were also not the same.

3. The veal was very dry and tasted only like Rosemary.

4. We did not receive the "cheeks" of the fish even though we ordered a whole fish!

5. The bread wasn't that good. I should have figured that an Italian restaurant with so-so bread is only for tourists.

6. Split plates will run you about 75% x 2 of the dish. So a ~11 Euro plate of pasta (which wasn't that good) wound up costing 18Euros because it was spit. The kicker is that we weren't told ahead of time. Normally you expect a 25-50% service charge but not 75%

7. The waiters were pushing the split plates (now I know why) and other expensive items that weren't on the menu... They didn't seem to care about our dining experience just how much they make on us.

8. The coffee didn't taste like it was from an Italian restaurant. It tasted a bit burnt and was remarkably unremarkable. I would never expect them to serve something so pedestrian in such an expensive restaurant.

9. The desserts were screwed up. Their tiramasu was totally unlike a normal tiramasu and it wasn't at all fluffy. My wife ordered some nasty custard (actually it was supposed to be mousse but wasn't the right consistency at all) that I didn't care to even finish for her.

10. They take it upon themselves to add a nice tip to the bill, which is at the discretion of the restaurant but they didn't put that anywhere on the menu or tell us ahead of time.

11. The value at the restaurant is perhaps the worst part because while none of this food will make you sick (I'm hoping the carpaccio doesn't do me in...) they charge an arm and a leg for 70Euro/person without wine!

I can't help but think these guys were laughing at us in the back about the stupid American's that don't know what Italian food is. Either that, or they don't know either!

• Visited January 2011
2 Thank FrancescoQVienna

• Turkish first
Vienna
“Excellent high class Italian restaurant”
Reviewed March 28, 2009

As good as Italy - With excellent and attentive service, a varied Italian menu and quiet reserved atmospher,e this restaurants ranks among my favorites in Vienna for authentic italian food and atmosphere. The Palais surroundings give it a distinguished flair, and the food is well prepared and fresh.

1 Thank MundiMan