All reviews dance steps privilege room pedestrian square free walking tour rainfall shower central location excellent location local attractions good size affordable hotel bathroom door the hotel offers stephens cathedral hofburg palace free mini bar easy walking distance airport bus
Selected filters
Reviewed May 3, 2019 via mobile

I made a reservation for my friends and provided my credit card to confirm the reservation. The credit card has been charged upon the reservation, but according to the opinion of the reservation department the whole payment can not be done with the same card. It looks like management just does not care about services and client's support. I tried to talk to general manager, but were never able to talk to him. Managers just did not connect me to general manager. Awful services

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
KAllabauer, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Mercure Vienna First, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2019

Dear Mercure Guest!
Thank you for your feedback regarding our reservation department and the payment procedure.
For the hotel it is a big goal to meet our guests expectations therefore we are really sorry not to meet yours.
I checked your booking twice and please note that your credit card was not charged upon the reservation, this was just for guarantee your friends room. You sent us another credit card number for the payment but due to security reasons, we are not allowed to took your reimbursement.
The reason for not connecting you to our general manager was that he was not in the hotel these days.

Once again we deeply regret your bad impressions. We appreciate your sharing your concerns and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcoming you or your friends again.

Daniel Welser
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed April 30, 2019 via mobile

We have recently returned from this lovely hotel and give it 5 stars out of 5. The staff are so friendly and helpful, we were given a very early check in around 10.15 am which helped us to make the most of our first day in vienna. The hotel had left us a romantic note and chocolates in the room to wish us well for our future - a very nice touch.

The location of this hotel is fantastic, with restaurants, bars and shops within 30 seconds walk, some even closer ! Many attractions are close by, for example st stephens cathedral is an easy 5 minute walk.

The rooms are modern and clean, with the benefit of having a small fridge and safe too.

Breakfasts are self service and there is a huge selection to choose from, with cereals, yoghurts, scrambled eggs/beans/bacon/sausages, cheese etc - and it was very nice.

We will be staying here again and fully recommend it to anyone, everything is first class.

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank manymilescovered
KAllabauer, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Mercure Vienna First, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2019

Dear Mercure Guest!
A big thank you for this wonderful feedback regarding your stay at Mercure Vienna First.

We are delighted to hear that your honeymoon celebration with us was a huge success. It is always an honor anytime our hosts get to provide sincere service for your special occasions.
We also appreciate your kind words to our fantastic city center location and the rich breakfast buffet every morning.

We really love it when guests are mentioning that they will definitely stay with us again in the future because they had such a great time! This is by far the best compliment we can get.
We already looking forward to your next visit.

Kind regards from Vienna

Reviewed April 7, 2019

This was a top choice. So close all action, but such a peaceful area.
Our room had also nice view. Everything worked so nicely. Staff was very friendly and when we asked opinions, they were ready to tell.
Breakfast is really good, and staff was so great. Whenever we return to Wien, we know to which hotel we return.

Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
KAllabauer, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Mercure Vienna First, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2019

Dear Mercure Guest!
We are thrilled about your wonderful feedback to your recent stay at Mercure Vienna First.

Our staff take pride in all they do and it is always motivating for them to receive such kind comments as yours.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed April 7, 2019 via mobile

I really enjoyed staying at this very nice hotel located in the city centre. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Rooms are comfortable and restaurant provides good food.
Public transport is very convenient. The Danube is in close proximity and city trip boat rides are available. Lots of eating and drinking options are available within walking distance and so are many local attractions.

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family

Dear Mercure Guest!
Thank you for choosing Mercure Vienna First as the place to stay when visiting Vienna.

We are so glad that you had such a lovely time at the hotel and felt well taken care of. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the kind guest service from our hotel staff and the amazing city center location.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your future visits!

Reviewed March 26, 2019

My wife and I visited Vienna recently for my wife's birthday and as this was a special occasion I decided to splash out on a nice hotel. I found the Mercure Vienna First and thought it looked like a nice high end hotel but in the end our stay was a bit average.
Firstly let me say the staff were great---polite and helpful, the location of the hotel is good and rooms are clean and modern. However beyond this I found our stay to be a bit average considering the amount we paid.
The main problem we had was the heat. Other reviewers have pointed this out and when we mentioned it were told that the aircon is currently set for cold weather so you need to open the window. Strangely our window had a sticker on it saying 'do not open---please use aircon'! We ignored this (we had to as we were boiling in our bed!) but opening the window didn't make alot of difference. If the weather heats up outside then change the central aircon, given the price per night this is the least you can do for your guests.
Another issue was breakfast. Admittedly it was my own fault for not checking properly at booking but I thought breakfast was included, so when I found it wasn't I thought I'd pay extra---the cost is 20 EUROs per person per day! To me this is extortionate pricing, once again considering the already high room cost. Needless to say we didn't do this as it would've been 120 EUROs extra for the duration of our stay.
Finally as I said it was my wife's Birthday which i mentioned when I'd booked asking if there was anything the hotel could do to make our stay extra special (they responded by saying they would see what they could do --- sadly nothing from the looks of it). Now I don't expect the hotel to do anything too extravagant, but a simple room upgrade or possibly a little extra something in our room (maybe I should have asked for a breakfast!) would have been nice---to me this is an easy and cost effective win for the hotel, as a small inexpensive gesture goes a very long way to making guests feel special. Also for a high end hotel such as the Mercure, surely this is the kind of thing they should be doing to go the extra mile---even if it was just to wish my wife a Happy Birthday at check in (a note could have been left for the desk staff).
In summary this hotel was 'OK' but nothing special so only stay here if you want to pay high prices for an average stay.

Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dan547
KAllabauer, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Mercure Vienna First, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2019

Dear Mercure Guest!
We are very happy about your nice words to our hotel staff.

But we sincerely regret the fact that we were unable to give you the great experience we strive to offer to all of our guests and that you left us not being completely satisfied. We do apologize for that!

We regret to know that it was too hot for your in your room. Please note that due to a lot of cold days in March we still have heating in the whole hotel. We do apologize for the inconvenience.

We also feel so sorry that we missed the birthday of your wife. Services as described above does not match with our high Mercure Quality standards, therefore your feedback is very important for us!
Please rest assured we have for all our birthday guests a little gift, but unfortunately we had not information about the special occasions.