“Amazing Flavors and Presentation”
Review of Walter Bauer

Walter Bauer
Ranked #239 of 4,447 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Austrian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old University Quarter
Reviewed April 6, 2013

My husband and I are San Francisco foodies who make it a point to eat at the best restaurants during our extensive travels around the world. On our first night of a one month trip through Austra and Italy (when we learned that our first choice restaurant wasbooked), our concierge at the Bristol suggested Walter Bauer. By the end of our meal, we had decided that Chef Christian Domschitz is unquestionably one of the best chefs in the world.

When my artistic masterpiece appetizer was first placed before me, we were was at once amazed by the plating perfection and concerned that, as often happens, the quality and flavor of the innovative dish would not live up to its elegance. My concern was put to rest from the first bite.

Each course was so beautiful I felt guilty putting my fork in it to take a bite. My sea bass was coked perfectly and dressed with amazing, innovative vegetable purees. My husband rates his restaurants by its lamb and has put Walter Bauer In his top 3 lamb experiences. After such a spectacular meal, we couldn't wait for dessert and were not disappointed. This meal was without question the highlight of our entire trip and is a particular stand-out from traditional Germanic cuisine.

3  Thank John-Debra

Reviewed December 12, 2012

I've been there only twice because it is quite expensive. I say "quite" because there are restaurants clocking at well over $200. a person, so this is less than "very" expensive, hovering around $100. a person. I've been to Steiereck once. Walter Bauer's is less expensive and the food more refined, subtler, though it doesn't offer the large-cast theatrical presentation of Steiereck. But I am a gourmet and not at all a businessman. Steiereck is for impressing a client who is not you best friend, and it is really impressive. Walter Bauer's is the most intensely "beautiful" food (to taste) I've had in the last decade or so, including Paris. But I underline that I am not wealthy, though I can splurge once in a while.

5  Thank ronald k
Reviewed December 9, 2012

When you want to eat in a refined athmosphere excellent innovative meals- this rather small but. comfortable restaurant is the place. The menue is well balanced and reflects the seasons specialities . I had deer with maronite , red cabbage and potato mash Delicious great wine selection . Efficient and friendly service.

3  Thank marvinge
Reviewed December 9, 2012

During our Christmas Market tour along the Danube, we stopped in Vienna and I selected Restaurant Walter Bauer for my wife's birthday. In being rated " 1 Star" in Michelin, I thought that this would be an excelelnt expereince. While the food was very good and my meal consited of a tasting menu that include venison medallions, my wife had a rabit dish. The sauces were excellent and the soup as well.
We were one of the early couples and as moe people came in and being warmly greeted by the owner, we as outsiders, were basically ignored. In addition, the service was very slow.

Furthermore, when we left, they had misplaced my wife's gloves, while having care of our winter coats.

I regret not having gone to Steiereck instead and could not recommend this restaurant.

2  Thank Lothar H
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Dining at Walter Bauer was definitely the food highlight of our recent 6 night jaunt to Vienna. The restaurant is located on a small side street just off Stephensplatz, in a lovely room with original vault ceilings. The decor is lovely if a bit old fashioned, but perfectly in keeping with the city.

As this was our last night and we've been eating way too much, rather than the 6-course tasting menu, we decided to go a la carte. I took the server's recommendation and had the smoked eel appetizer and venison entree. Husband had steak tartare and lamb. Everything was outstanding. The smoked eel was served with baby beets and some creme fraiche encased in pumpernickel crumbs. Very original. The venison and lamb were some of the best we've ever had. For those familiar with our home town, the food is very similar / comparable to Gary Danko or Cyrus in style and quality.

The service was outstanding. Even though we knew next to nothing about Austrian wines, we were determined to go all-Austrian on this trip and relied on the recommendation of the servers. We had an outstanding bottle of Blaufrankische that went perfectly with the lamb and venison, and our waiter brought me a glass of reserve Gruner Veltliner (my new favorite white wine) for my smoked eel. So good.

The whole meal was around 170 euros (including dessert and cocktails in addition to the food/wine), which we thought was a pretty decent value given the outstanding quality of the food. Plus the entire restaurant is non-smoking!! I would definitely put this in the "must visit" categories for foodies traveling to Vienna.

7  Thank Judy D