“Deserve the ranking.”

Cuisines: Austrian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Inner City
Description: One of the most famous gourmet restaurants of the city can be found in one of the most beautiful parts of Vienna, in the middle of the Stadtpark and on the banks of the river: the Steiereck and its sister establishment, the Meierei next door.
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

We were lucky to secure a table with the restaurant in a relative short time as they have a long wait list however we prefer have a lunch so the list is shorter. Food is exquisite with above expectation level of quality. They served part of our appetizer with real veggie on the pot with fresh condiments. The service is also excellent and they explained in quite details. Bread has so many variation that you could imagine. It's pricy though as expected from no 6th ranked best restaurant in the world. If you could afford to pay for a nice set lunch, you should pay a visit.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

This is the description card that accompanied the plate: "Weiner Saftgulasch"; Gulash from Alpine Beef Cheeks with Leek-Bread Roulade and Pickled Vegetables...

Even more heavenly than it sounds! A beautifully set restaurant in the middle of the stad park; Steirereck is one of the most eccentric culinary experiences that my wife and I have ever had! Very innovative local cuisine (in a very posh yet relaxed ambiance); Steirereck is an absolute must for all culinary enthusiasts and adventures. The accueil was very warm, the setting very cozy and chic, and the menu was extravagant. While we honestly could not identify half of the items on the menu, we choose what called on our personal curiosities and palates.

Be sure to reserve in advance; as soon as you know you're going to Vienna, go on their website and book immediately as the dates and tables are highly demanded and limited.

After my wife and I made our choices; we were presented with a very intriguing amuse-bouche; Radish in all of its forms: A delicious crispy flat bread with Radish grains..accompanied by a Radish and avocado butter, and a Rhubarb-Coulis with radish grains as well,draped in some radish leaves.

The Bread trolley was decorated with over a dozen different selection of delicious breads; from Pumpernickel and Peach, to Olive and Lavender.

Then I had the above mentioned Beef Cheeks Goulash which was exquisite for the lack of any better description; savored every single bite and grieved over the finishing of my plate (although please note that the portions were very generous).

While my wife and I could not imagine digesting anything further; we could not help ourselves from ordering desert; Very eccentric selection which I would also highly recommend, if not only for the experience.

Afterwards, you can reminisce and digest in a nice little promenade through the state park.

My wife and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary on that trip...This is certainly an experience we will be telling our children about some day :-)

1  Thank Sadek M
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I heard about this restaurant from a foodie friend who had been blown away by it. I was going to propose in Stadpark before and wanted an excellent place to celebrate. If my future wife ever has doubts when we are married I am sure the memories of this place will smooth anything over...lol. Our engagement meal will go down as arguably the best meal we've had....or the standard by which all others will be judged.

Service is over the top. Friendly, extremely helpful, funny, always on task. Where to start. We did the 7 course tasting. Each course you are presented with a card (we were able to take as a keepsake) that has what you are eating, ingredients and a number denoting how it is different from all others they have ever created . They have a bread cart with what I would describe as a bread ninja....crafty with the knife and highly knowledgeable about his craft. I think there were 40 or more fresh kinds to choose from. A cheese cart with 56 different cheeses. When they come to your table you are asked "cow, goat, sheep???" also "what region you would like to sample from!". A tea cart...they cut and muddle the herbs/ingredients table side.

Location is great. Right off a train stop (sorry can't remember which one) and in the middle of this beautiful park.

I am not sure what people are talking about with the expense. I actually was surprised it wasn't more. I would have gladly paid for it....it is worth every penny/euro for every second.

Cheers!

1  Thank 596PatrickR
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Michelin star restaurant, doesn't need any comment. Perfect service, really pleasant place with nice ceiling. Food was awesome, I really loved their huge selection of bread (bacon bread was great) and cheese. You get a card for each course where are written the ingredients. We had lunch menu for 80€, it is really worth!

2  Thank Kateřina K
Reviewed May 8, 2014

This was the second visit to this restaurant. In February 2013 first visit on Valentines day. We went for lunch but stayed till about 7 drinking some stunning French and Austrian wine from their extensive cellar. Atmosphere and food spectacular and staff incredible with their knowledge and training. You experience what one expects from a very high level restaurant. We loved it so much we returned this year with family and a 5 month old baby in tow. Again staff were fantastic, accommodating to a baby and had excellent facilities in their lovely expansive individual bathrooms for said baby. Again enjoyed some wonderfully interesting food. They offered complimentary serves of some rather traditional Viennese dishes were were intrigued by but not sure we would like to have the whole plate to yourself. In particular the Veal 'Beuschel' made with the heart. As such we all got to try it and it turned out to be incredibly tasty. Thomas the Sommelier was on shift both last year and this year and was a pleasure to speak with when selecting our wines. You can opt for tasting menu which we did both times. These offer a lovely variety, quite sizable serves for a 'tasting' menu and offer wonderful value for money at a Michelin star restaurant. Our wine bill was bigger that the meal bill but you do not have to drink alcohol...really....or can opt for more reasonably priced bottles....or individual tasting glasses. The Sommelier suggested a light Austrian Reisling with my meal...I would never have considered it if selecting myself, but it was delightful. Really nice to have the expert advice and to step outside tasting boundaries. The Bread and Cheese trolley selection was to die for at the end of our meal! Had really fantastic and memorable experiences both times we visited. Hope to get back there again one day.

1  Thank PTBAY