“Special!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Steirereck

Steirereck
Ranked #28 of 4,104 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Austrian, European, Central European
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Inner City
Description: One of the most famous gourmet restaurants of the city can be found in one of the most beautiful parts of Vienna, in the middle of the Stadtpark and on the banks of the river: the Steiereck and its sister establishment, the Meierei next door.
Quebec
“Special!”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Great for a special event, which it was for my daughter and I. Loved the attentive service, the food, the wine suggestions and we were surrounded by happy people. I doubt I will experience this place again but am very happy we did not miss the opportunity.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“The new decadence”
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

I have had finally the opportunity to get a table in this famous restaurant - during my previous visits to Vienna I couldn't plan more than a few days ahead and that was to short to get a reservation. The reception was friendly and the service throughout blameless. Particularly the sommelier (if I understood correctly he was the junior one) was more than attentive and forthcoming. The atmosphere is more cozy than one would expect. But: you come because of the chef and his food, which, in this establishment, is unique. I believe that what happened is that the creative chefs have pushed the envelope for what we are now expecting for dinner. The star chefs are forced to prepare stunning dishes, that both taste and look like nothing you have tasted or seen before. So if you are a foodie you come "prepared" for an unusual experience, but if you are naive and just expect to get a good dinner, than you might be frustrated.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank David V
Tucson, Arizona
“A wonderful find!”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I found this restaurant on trip advisor and the 4 of us decided to set out to find it while visiting Vienna. We walked all thru the park before we finally located it. The location was lovely once we settled in and enjoyed the beauty around us. We didn't realize that you needed reservations for lunch. We lucked out because someone was vacating a table outside and we snatched it up. The service was somewhat slow but I think typical for Vienna. The Goulash was the best we ever had as was the weinersnitshel. We were too full for dessert. The breads were very yummy. Nice plate presentation and pleasant service. We would recommend this for a long leisurely a

Baltimore, Maryland
“10/10”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Extraordinary evening, in one of the best restaurants in the world, according to the San Pellegrino list for 2013. From the moment we walked in, until we left, we were utterly charmed by this restaurant. Truly a memorable evening with dear friends. We each had the wine pairings with our courses, which I would highly recommend - they add a dimension to the food and allow you to try wines you might not otherwise taste. The food is borderline molecular gastronomy, which is partially why we chose it, since we love the creativity evident in this type of cooking. Every single course we had was amazing. Without belaboring the point, this was an exceptional meal and one of our standouts. Simply put - I wish I was eating there again right now.

1 Thank Bonny W
England
“worth a visit for lunch”
Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

We were invited by our friends as the terrace of the restaurant is non smoking which is a rarity in Vienna. We had not read any reviews so we came to the restaurant without any preconceptions.
The food on the whole was fussy with too many ingredients and flavours. Presentation was astonishing, with the final flourish being a twig with crabapples with pieces of wire hanging from it on which slivers of melon ? We're suspended and some sort of oblong fruit dipped in wax. For me it was just pretentious, perhaps to justify the prices they charge.
On the plus side the bread and cheese trolley are astonishing. How the server can remember all the different breads and cheeses is noteworthy.
The service generally was excellent. Even a fractious 5 year old was served with panache and a smile. The list of ingredients placed on the table for each dish is impressive, if only for the amount of different ingredients used in each dish.
A pan fried pike with broad beans had 11 ingredients listed. I am fluent in German but even I needed English translations for some of the ingredients!
It is worth a visit, but We will not be repeating it too often.
Lunch for 6 and a child,with 6 main courses, 3 desserts, a bottle of wine and lots of mineral water plus a coffee came to EURO 350 with tip so it is not overly expensive.

I would recommend anybody who is interested in food to go there for a very different experience.

Visited August 2013