“Amazing dinner where the locals eat ! ”

Plachutta Wollzeile
Ranked #84 of 4,447 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Austrian
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Inner City
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

Planchette was a cozy eatery with delicious local specialities . Their schnitzel was great & the tafel spitz was the best meal we had in Vienna . Also the friendliest bar staff who made our visit memorable - thanks Ayman & Apollo. Skip the local tourist attraction Figelmuller & come to Plachutta instead !

Write a ReviewReviews (4,953)

Reviewed February 14, 2014

For about 30 Euro, you can get the soup for two people with the special cut of beef. In addition to the broth of the soup, you get toast to spread the marrow from the bones, as well as the cuts of beef, and a side of crispy potatoes. The waiter will most likely ask if you'd like extra filling (aka noodles), but unless you're starving, they don't add anything to the meal and just inflate the price.

It's best to make a reservation in advance and on cold days, ask to sit away from the front door.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

Please steer clear of this place..

I had a 5 hour transit in Vienna in Jan 2014.. I asked the friendly staff at the CAT (Airport<>City train) office at the Vienna Airport for their recommendations for a place which serves the local cuisine. Plachutta was highly recommended to be included in my exploration around the city. After a long walk around the beautiful city, I traced my steps to this place - tired and hopeful of an excellent heart-warming meal.

Upon entering I saw that the whole place was empty and there were two elderly ladies already waiting at the reception before me. In a minute or so one of the waiters came in, calmly took the coats from the ladies and directed them towards an inner room, to be seated for service.

At this point I was the only person left at the reception, expecting someone to come and seat me. There was a suited gentleman in the inner room straight ahead from the door, talking to a lady. He saw me but continued without a pause, so I was not sure if he was staff and presumed not.. the waiter who served the ladies proceeded directly back to the kitchen and in due course taking breads and subsequently other items from the kitchen towards their table. After about 4-5 minutes, one of the other waiters came out and looked at me but would not approach.. He then interrupted the more "senior" waiter in one of his to and fro's from the kitchen and spoke to him, pointing towards me. The other waiter simply looked at me, gave a smirk to my face and continued on with his trips.

After 7-8 minutes of just standing at the reception without anyone coming to meet me, I saw a couple of waiters standing near the kitchen looking towards me. In a raised voice I asked if they have any available seating (the place was empty) – on receiving no response from the blank faces I asked to see the Manager. A “more senior” staff (elderly gentleman) came out of the kitchen and shouted from there itself - “Wait for Manager for seat – he is over there”. The Manager was the suited gentleman – still talking animatedly to the lady. I obstinately decided to wait for him despite the continued humiliation - the Manager was facing me this whole while and had clearly heard my exchange with his staff as well.

After another few minutes, the Manager started moving along with the lady to the reception area – but continued to talk to her – completely ignoring me now standing less than 4 feet away. After another couple of minutes of waiting with the Manager ignoring me while standing nearby, I decided that I had had enough – the old ladies who came before me had been now seated more than 10-15 minutes before me in an otherwise empty restaurant.. I turned around, collected my carry-on bag & left – couple of waiters were smirking from the kitchen and the manager 4 feet away as I left – it speaks volumes to me that they did not even try to stop business leaving the front door.

It was while I was walking out that door that I decided to write my first Tripadvisor review on Plachutta – I felt morally responsible to let others know of the rubbish that needs to be avoided around beautiful places around the world in Vienna.. If you read the other negative comments here on Tripadvisor, you will surely see the above streak of misplaced arrogance as a common theme over there.. it completely upturned the spirit of Vienna for me

.. before leaving for the airport I went to a Fischer coffee shop next doors and got some reassuringly warm service with some excellent croissant & Viennese coffee!

6  Thank Rahul6979
Reviewed February 10, 2014

The ceremony and service at this renowned institution is a must have experience if you are lucky enough as a visitor to Vienna to be escorted by a local. We had a traditional tafelspitz and it was elegantly presented in a copper pot with all the requisite accoutrements. The broth itself is the tastiest stock I have ever had - you have a little bowl with shredded pancake to begin, and then have the meat itself silver-service dished up for you. The waiters are politely insistent that they serve up your portions, giving a taste of the garlicy perfectly creamed spinach, the crispy rosti potatoes, and apfelsauce with a horseradish kick.
Perhaps if you are just a tourist the occasion may go over your head a bit, but I fully appreciated how lucky I was to have been taken; my older, local colleagues were very impressed and it was clear from the crowd that evening that this is a special occasion, book ahead establishment.
In short, the food was understated traditional deliciousness, super filling and rich, massive portion, and reasonable compared to London prices.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

I didn't know about Viennese food except for schnitzel adn Sacher Torte. This restaurante revealed a whole world of delicacies I had never experienced before. They also did it with style and quality. A good evening out that I would recommend.

One star lost becasue service was a bit slow, but in fairness, it was a busy evening.