“Design and Solid Cuisine”
Review of Osterreicher im MAK - CLOSED

Osterreicher im MAK
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Inner City
Reviewed September 25, 2013

It says a lot about the MAK (Museum for Applied Arts) as a cultural institution in Vienna that it has a good restaurant attached.

I was a guest of the Museum so it was no surprise that we rounded off the event with a meal at the restaurant.

Like the rest of the MAK, the decor was cool with loads of design details. The food was a solid effort. I had dim sum dumplings as a starter and the Tandoori Chicken (Austrian Style) for the main course. The latter simply because I wanted to find out how the hell THAT would taste. Went well with the Austrian wines we drank.

It was all very enjoyable and a perfect place to wrap up a visit to the legendary Museum.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

My group of four arrived around 18:30 on a Friday. There was great anticipation given that several guides had recommended this restaurant as a "must" for Vienna. However, we we very disappointed. We put the lack of other diners (4 at most when we arrived) to the early hour, but the dinning room was still all but deserted when we left 2 hours later.

The food explained why. We struggled to make a choice from a rather challenging menu. Finding nothing of interest from the starters, we ordered drinks and we went straight to main courses. After a rather long wait, four plates arrived, each just a bit above ambient room temperature. While the main courses (a tafelspitz variation and two different rice based dishes) had some interesting flavours, ordinary would be the best description. Given the fact that the restaurant was nearly empty, we struggled to understand why none of the plates were warm let alone hot.

The only saving grace was a delicious and fairly priced St Laurent from Johannesnof Reinisch.

1  Thank Rayas79
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Interesting minimalist-type decor, excellent staff, good food and great wine. Schnitzel was tender and tasty, chocolate pudding with liquid centre was superb. Waitress excellent - friendly, professional, spot-on food and wine recommendations.

1  Thank Rachel D
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We booked there based on reviews in food magazines hailing the chef as up and coming. The menu selection was only creative when it came to the starters as the main selection contained all the typical dishes one would otherwise expect (Wiener Schnitzel and goulash). I selected a green gaspacho which turned out the best mozzarella on a plate, said mozzarella surrounded by bits of green, such as cucumber and wasabi, and accompanied by a glass containing a green liquid which I will summarize as tasting like a salad vinaigrette. The waiter provided no instruction as to how to enjoy the dish... The mozzarella's consistence was hard. I love mozzarella so I was disappointed from the onset. My Wiener Schnitzel and my husband's goulash were nothing special. We opted not to have a dessert. We went for lunch and the venue didn't have many guests leaving the waiters with free time which they spent talking loudly among themselves, a behavior which I found rather poor.

2  Thank Alexandra S
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We found this place in the center of Vienna and where lucky to get a table in the garden which is hidden in the back of the restaurant.
Although it was a bit late for lunch, the friendly staff arranged a 'Schnitzel' and salad for us. The meat was soft and tasty, as well as the salad. The desert (a typically local tart) could have been better.
The atmosphere is very laid back.
All in all we were satisfied and definitely would consider coming back during our next trip to Vienna.