“my worst restaurant experience ever”
Review of Indochine 21 - CLOSED

Indochine 21
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Inner City
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Having been a regular guest in this restaurant while I was still living in Vienna I was looking very much forward to host a group of friends there last night. What a mistake. 90 minutes after we arrived in the restaurant , I politely asked about the whereabouts of our appetizers. This triggered the visit of a rather young "lady" who identified herself as the restaurant manager and who informed me and my guest in a very rude way that the restaurant is full - which by the way was not the case - and every guest has to understand and has to wait for his turn .Right there I should have suggested to my friends to leave . Instead I asked the well trained manager with an obvious personality issue to have our empty glasses refilled from a the magnum bottle of wine I ordered after the first round of coctails . " Your waiter will do it - if he finds the time " Needless to say that such a "proof of hospitality" paired with high prices did not create the environment to enjoy the evening with my friends and tension started to rise . We finally received the appetizers two hours after we arrived. they were served by a waiter who had no clue what he was serving and he told the table that he just started the day before and was not properly trained yet . the quality of the food perfectly matched the service and several dishes where not eatable and had to be returned . Instead of an appology the manager had the audacity to insist in getting paid for the untouched food . After I explained to her that I certainly would not do so , she drew the check in a corner and told us we have to be out of the restaurant within seconds . Well that was exactly what we wanted to do anyways so no objection from our side . At this stage somebody from the stuff must have told her that she just forfeited a check for EUR 500 and she rushed to stop us with a new copy of the check still showing the items we sent back . One of the senior waiters, who was as pleased with the managers performance as we were, stepped in and corrected the bill which I paid and on the way out the self proclaimed "restaurant director" wished us farewell by imposing an official restaurant ban on me and my guests . Well done Indochine 21 and congratulation to the owner Mr. Brugger and his stuff selection skills. I am sure he will enjoy to read the whole story in one of the next Falstaff editions . Never mistreat people and if you do better know who they are :-)

5  Thank Flyingplumber

Reviewed April 27, 2012 via mobile

I was there yesterday for a business dinner.
It was arranged by the company so I don't have a realistic idea of the quality /price ratio.
I did not remember eating so badly last time I was in Vienna. The appetizers and desserts were not a complete disaster, but the soup only tasted of hot chili pepper and the (half) lobster was tooooooo boiled and tastless.
And, to put the icing on the cake , the service was terribly slow.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

I have to say that I am not impressed at all by this restaurant. First of all we waited to be seated at least 10 minutes without being asked to have a drink at the bar. Table was not ready . Food...... not sure. we both had a soup (diffent) and we all had stomach problems. I had salmon and was not really the best ever had. One thing genial is the pan fried egg. excellent idea .

Reviewed March 11, 2012

Was here in July 2006 during a conference in Wien. Simply stated, one of the very best Asian restaurants in Europe. Very broad menu and service was excellent, attentive without intrusive. Food spice levels could be tailored to specific preference, just tell the waitress what you prefer. Patio seating was perfect for the hot climate at the time. Close to Stadtpark and St Stephen's. Very highly recommended.

Reviewed March 6, 2012

At least one TripAdvisor reviewer panned Indochine 21 for not actually serving "Vietnamese French" cuisine, as it advertises. This is a fair criticism, but the plates that Indochine 21 does offer are a stand-out nonetheless. During our Restaurant Week visit, I tried the hot-and-sour soup and my wife had a starter of chicken salad. The soup had a nice combination of oyster and shiitake mushrooms and was indeed hot spicy. However, it was not thickened in the usual manner so the more watery broth was not as expected, or as tasty. My wife liked the curry flavor (which evidently was misnamed as "marsala chicken" instead of "masala chicken") and the way the spices combined with yogurt and the salad greens. I thought my braised lamb in puff pastry was exceptional. The lamb had been "pulled" or shredded, but had a very nice texture without being dry. The sauce, which was described as black-bean sauce, was slightly sweet, like a plum sauce. It complemented the lamb perfectly, which is often hard to do since lamb has such a definite flavor. My wife enjoyed her crispy salmon, with a celery puree that brought out the celery flavor exceptionally. The dessert was delicious.

Service, however, was spotty. There appeared to be only two waitresses for half the dining floor (or perhaps more, but we couldn't see around the corner), which might have been sufficient for a normal day, but not when the Restaurant Week offer filled more tables. The service was sufficient when we first sat down, but slowed noticeably when two large groups arrived and were seated. Our waitress also expressed her distinct surprise when we elected to have tea with our meals, since it is evidently just an after-meal beverage in Austria, further proof that we were not really in an Asian restaurant. Finally, our waitress did not realize that we had not been served our dessert, so we had to wait quite a while to finally finish our meal. The restaurant's décor, except for some minor touches, also did not reflect any Asian touches, but the high ceilings and ample windows let in abundant natural lighting. I would definitely return for the regular menu.