“The Hot Chocolate and Cakes were Excellent, service poor!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Demel

Demel
Ranked #6 of 104 Coffee & Tea in Vienna
Cuisines: German, Austrian, Cafe, European
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Inner City
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
“The Hot Chocolate and Cakes were Excellent, service poor!!”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This is a tourist destination, it,'s extremely crowded. And you have a long wait. And you are rushed to eat and leave. But the hot chocolate was excellent and the assortment of cakes we had at our table was a chocoholic (which I am) delight. I also stopped downstairs and purchase a box of chocolates that were amazing, still thinking about them.

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
“Smokey and very busy”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I went in for their famous Sachertorte, however, the cafe was smokey. Even though they had a non-smoking room upstairs the smoke on the way up there just ruined my appetite. I don't see why the entire cafe is not non-smoking - the Austrians appear a decade or two behind other cities with non-smoking laws. I did however take a small slice of Sachertorte to go. It was OK, I'm sure I would have enjoyed it a lot more with a coffee service. Otherwise, since Demel caters to tourists it is expensive. If you are a non-smoker I recommend you take something to go and avoid eating in the cafe.

1 Thank Bea_613
NJ
“Very nice”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The back rooms are way over crowded, so we sat at the coffee bar. An excellent choice! The waitress there was very helpful and friendly. Our pastries were very good as were our coffee drinks.
Please note that when I rated the bar scene in this restaurant that it refers to the coffee bar!

Tel Aviv District, Israel
“Rude service”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I would stay away from there. It's very crowded. They have a display of the cakes they have on the entrance, I ordered something and was given a number which I had to ask what do with it. I was told to sit first. And then I had to ask where to sit...
Then I waited to be seated by the host which didn't even ask for the number I was given and I had to give it too her, so I waited and waited...when I finally got the cake the waitress expected me to order another thing from the menu when all I wanted to do is to get out there.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Tom_ISR
Port Charlotte FL
“Excellent!”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Great place to watch the bakers through the window as they make the assortment of pastries and cakes. I try to stop by this place everytime I'm in Vienna. Get there early as it tends to get busy towards noon. I've never been disappointed!