We were looking for a modern, centrally located hotel for our 6 days special occasion family stay with a guaranteed late check out and restaurant on site. Novotel Wien City hotel had a good TA rating and was the only one among Accor Vienna hotels offering prepaid late check out. ‘5 Senses’ restaurant looked like an interesting option as well.
- One of the main advantages is the location of the hotel: metro station ‘Nestroyplatz’ is just around the corner, at the same time it is 15 minutes walk to Stephansplatz, Prater, 20 minutes to Hundertwasser House.
- Another value of the hotel is that it has friendly personnel (majority) . We especially appreciate the attitude of the restaurant brunette waitress who remembered our drinks orders at breakfast – it’s a small but a very welcoming part of the whole atmosphere when you stay for 6 days at the hotel.
- The way from the airport took less than 20 minutes. The way to the airport took less than 15 minutes as we had an F1 driver from AirportDriver company who pressed other cars for his VIP way at the speed of 150 km/h.
- Effective soundproof windows – no noise from the street although there’s a busy crossroad.
- Reception calls taxi for guests.
- Bathroom is quite up-to-date.
- Bathroom cosmetics has a pleasant aroma and its set was always fully stocked.
- We had enough fresh towels every day except foot towel.
- Cleaning was fine everyday although no bed linen change after 3 days as we expected.
- The room was warm and dry, conditioner work was OK.
- We asked to empty our minibar so we could keep kid’s food and it was done with no problem.
- Double bed mattress and pillows were comfortable for us.
- We asked for the second blanket for our double bed and it was provided quickly.
- Complimentary mineral water (0.33) every day in the Executive room.
- Slippers and bathrobes are provided in the Executive room.
- Demmers tea bags in a tea facilities set.
- Nespresso machine in the room is just great.
- Table service for hot drinks at breakfast.
- Free breakfast for kids.
- It’s good to have a restaurant on site when it’s cold and your kids are tired to go out for food. The only better option would be to stay in apartments. Restaurant offers kids menu and 24 h in room service.
Unfortunately the hotel did not meet our major expectations in terms of room space layout:
- As we entered our Executive room it greeted us with a dirty carpet and the stain was there during all our 6 days stay,
- We felt a strong lack of space – it’s the 1st time when we felt that extra sleeping bed spoils the room – almost no pass to the window, no low coffee table. Later we were told that Standard and Executive rooms had the same size. I don’t know if it is an international Novotel standard size or just the size of this particular hotels rooms but we think it is ok only for 1-2 night stays or for no more than 2 persons.
- The wardrobe in a ‘up to 4 persons’ Executive room was like two kindergarten’s lockers – impossible for a 6 days stay of 3 people at cold time and no coat pegs in the corridor for outer clothing which would help,
- We felt the lack of space in the bathroom as well: no pegs or rails for face towels, no peg for clothes, just 2 pegs for bathrobes, there was little space around the sink - it looked nice on the photos but in the corner rooms it looks like a ‘cut’ one set against the wall with no space on the right side.
- The hairdryer was very weak and got very hot at the same time – shame for such a brand as Valera.
- Bathroom door design leaves no privacy for the person inside – the door has a vertical clearance space and no lock. Luckily the door was in the corridor so you could not see it from the room and WC is behind a separate door (again no lock).
We’d liked that bathroom door design on the photos but didn’t expect it would be a hole-ridden one. As we saw these doors on a few other Novotel hotels photos we understand it is Novotel design ‘point’ but we found it uncomfortable in reality.
- Extra sleeping place had sticking out springs – it was uncomfortable even to sit on it not to mention child’s sleep. As sofas are standard Novotel furniture we guess time was just up for that particular one ,
- It’s the 1st time there was only one blanket for a double bed, it was a rather discomfortable first night as we’d noticed it too late,
- Housekeeping/minibar personnel slam rooms doors early in the morning so that our wall was shakening. I thought it was some unadequate guest and came out to look what was going on just to see personnel delivering things to our neighbour rooms.
- But the main discomfort was at night as there was a constant noise coming from some technical system above in the ceiling. May be it’s because of the floor, may be because it’s a corner room, we asked to send a technician to check but were told there was no technician at the hotel, we asked to show us another room but as the only possible for a change was on the same floor we were not sure there wouldn’be the same noise at night and on top of that the bathroom door was looking at the room with the same hole. I had to convince my husband to try and tolerate the noise for another 4 nights. No need to say it was discomfortable for him for all 4 nights as he is a light sleeper.
Our kid didn’t care much about any of these shortcomings – just took it as it was but there were two things she was very disappointed about: kids corner appeared to be not a permanent one as we thought: one day she ran out there – but there was nothing – kids corner was reequipped as a business corner, no sign there was any playground before. As she never met in her life that a regular kids playground could suddenly disappear at night she was very sad about it. It’s a pity for a hotel positioned as a kids friendly to upset kids with no prior notice. Another disappointment was right on the first entrance of the hotel: she liked the deer (Hirsch) on the hotel’s site so much while we were booking that was looking forward to coming and getting a picture with this animal which looks really great oh the hotel’s major photo. But unfortunately ‘Hirsch has gone to the North’. At first we even thought the taxi driver left us at ‘another’ Novotel as this Hirsch became in our heads the integral part of the hotel entrance ambience.
Breakfasts: if there were breakfasts included in the price then we would say that for an included 4 * chain hotel breakfast this one was quite a sufficient one: variety and service were there as it should be. But as you pay 34 Euros per family every morning it would be difficult not to notice glasses with dangerous rough edges, preserved ananas and mandarin which gone sour, hardly warm scrambled eggs one morning and long waiting for orange juice carafe back.
Restaurant a la carte menu: I think they are still in the middle of their way to unconditional win over the common clients taste. We had 2 dinners and 1 lunch there. To our taste traditional cuisine is a good one: we tried chicken and veal Vienna style and it was fine. We ordered chicken strips and french fries for our kid (kartoffelbrei had a sauer taste which the kid was not used to and we couldn’t finish it either). It is convenient with a kid not to go out in cold weather but just to go downstairs to have dinner. So to be honest we came the other 2 times there just for our kid who was too tired to go and eat outside. For City Lunch we took pork and chicken grill. Pork was too hard & dry even for a grilled one, chicken grilled strypes were OK but they were served in some liquid sauer rice porridge with punishing for bad behaviour taste so that even the taste of chicken swimming there was punishing.
To our Russian taste beetroot is not really part of high cuisine as it is a cheap vegetable which is an everyday product for most Russian families and we had beetroot several times during our 2 dinners and 1 lunch... too much and not at the right place. We also don’t like foam which is very popular here. ‘Taste of the day’ which comes as a compliment was the same both days – we didn’t like it on the 1st day and were confused to see it again... We were offered the same ‘tastes’ at Pullman’s XXenia restaurant and firstly they asked us if we were interested to try it, secondly it was different every time we came there.
There was some unknown pieces of something drifting in the glasses with beer both times we ordered it.
If modern stylish ambience, eco design and quiet atmosphere are priority for the client then he will enjoy the place. The waiters are also nice people so we didn’t want to upset them straight into their face that we were struggling to eat some of the ordered dishes – it’s not their fault anyway. Our dinners were 50 Euros, city lunch 30 Euros.
Another place to eat next to the hotel is just around the corner – Vapiano self service pizzeria. Our bill was 25 Euros.
Food shops: there is Billa supermarket close to Nestroyplatz and some other small and normal supermarkets on the way to Prater.
Clothes, etc. shopping: we liked Donauzentrum, 10 min. by metro (Kagran), direct line. There are toys shops and a kid’s playground.
After our stay we received a standard Novotel questionnaire. I have to admit that Novotel is not indifferent to it guests opinion and it is a professional attitude. Our major discontents were not left unnoticed by the management and were compensated so that we are not left afterwards with sad feelings – our family appreciate this openness for improvements.
All in all I can advise this hotel 1/ for 1-2 persons stay, 2/ for one family night. In this case all shortcomings would be just temporary while as if you stay longer than 3 days then it depends on the amount you paid for the whole package. And although the hotel is proud of its kids stay free policy I would advise not to sacrifice space for the sake of this promo if you come with an active kid or 2 – there’s Accor Adagio aparthotel 200 m away from Novotel with 2 room apartments and kitchen for the same price as Novotel compact room. We took Novotel as it was a 4 star hotel (Adagio is rated as 3*) and Adagio couldn’t guarantee a late check out. But in the end I think space for 6 days is more important than a couple of extra hours in the room on the last day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Novotel Wien City enjoys a premium location in the heart of the historic city centre overlooking the Ringstrasse. This modern upper-midscale hotel offers 122 airconditioned rooms, 2 suites, 2 exclusive boardrooms, an exceptional restaurant with a bar, agym and sauna. Stephansplatz is only 500 m or 10 minutes walk away. Relax in the nearby Stadtpark (City Park) or on the lively banks of the Danube Canal. Parking is available nearby and there is an underground station right outside the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with ACCOR, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Novotel Wien City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Novotel Wien City Hotel Vienna
- Novotel Hotel Vienna
- Novotel Vienna
- Vienna Novotel