“A good choice”

wombats CITY HOSTEL VIENNA "The Lounge"
Ranked #4 of 201 Specialty Lodging in Vienna
Philadelphia
“A good choice”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I've been at the Naschmarkt Wombats in June of 2012 and was so satisfied with the experience that I wanted to add my review of the other Vienna location, the Lounge where I've stayed after the opening in July 2006. The Mariahilferstrasse hostel is equally good as the one near the market. For the first 2 days I booked a private room for myself. The room was small but clean and sufficient since I was not spending much time in it. The private bathroom was small and basic. The room was very noisy, near the elevators and every time someone closed the door I could hear the slam. The next 2 days I stayed in a shared room for 4. There were 3 other girls. We got along well and even went sightseeing together. The lockers in the rooms are nice and big. I have not paid for the breakfast at this hostel. I just bought some food at the nearby supermarket. The 2 common refrigerators in the hostel kitchen are always overcrowded. I did not cook, but there were people who made their meals. Even if you travel alone, it is easy to meet people at the Wombats and chat with the staff.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank star555girl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed four nights at the hostel, in a 4 bed dorm with bathroom. I had a reservation, but there had troubles and send me to a full room, when I made them see the mistake they gave beer, breakfast ticket and a new room. It was clean and big enough, the lockers were big and with a keycard system. The breakfast was only 3,8 euros and very good. The common room was big, but it was always full. The hostel had a good atmosphere and the staff was friendly and helpful. The kitchen is fully equipped and with the essentials to cook free, they also had free pasta so you could save money on food or restaurants. They also has a cool bar underground.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I was in Vienna in May of 2011 and stayed at Wombat's for 2 nights. It's about a 20 minute walk to the city center and it is a nice walk if you have the time. The room was fairly large by European standards (I was in a 4 person room with 2 bunk beds) and we had our own bathroom. Breakfast was not included with the room price but it was a fairly decent price for being right on site. There is a great bar downstairs. The U-bahn is nearby and easy to take to attractions outside the city center (we went to Prater Park for the evening which was easy to find). Great hostel!

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the 8-person dorm room. The bathroom got dirty quickly and people had to wait for the bathroom whenever someone was in it - I'm not a fan of having one dedicated bathroom for a dorm room, but c'est la vie. Otherwise the place was clean. They make you strip your own bed and breakfast isn't free. There is a common kitchen. Location is next to the Westbanhof, but otherwise far from the city center where most of the attractions are, so I suggest buying the mutli-day public transport passes if you stay here. A nice bonus is that you can go to the other Wombats to get a free walking tour of the city, and there isn't any other free tour we could find. It's a great hostel, people were generally quiet in the dorm. Beds were nice, had individual lights and plugs. Recommend staying here!

Trento, Italy
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed in a double room, and it was clean and big enough. It was really well heated, that was good at the end of December. It's close to metro and train station. The weather was not very good for walking but seems that it's not so far from the city center even by foot. And it has a good buffet breakfast for 3.80 euro

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Austria
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stay in Wombats each time I'm in Vienna (3 or 4 times a year). If you are looking for clean, quiet, friendly budget accommodation with brilliant links to the key bits of the city and the airport, then this is the place for you.

When I stay here, I'm traveling for work so I just want a safe clean place to lay my head after I'm done with my business, before heading home. Wombats offers that. The staff are very friendly, the hostel is immaculately clean and the kitchen is well equipped, with lots of freebies, if you are really on a budget and are considering self-catering.

This time round I stayed with my parents. They were a little concerned by the boisterous hustle and bustle going on around reception on the ground floor, but I reassured them that upstairs, in their private room, it would be peaceful and clean.

They do a great job here keeping the activity and the serenity separate. Which is why they attract an interesting mix of travelers. At breakfast you'll see an interesting mix of young solo backpacker types and older couples all having breakfast together in the dining room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank IrisJay
Ostrava, Czech Republic
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Stayed here in October and had a great time, met so many other travellers around the lounge area. One bad thing for though was the wifi connection, maybe because there were a lot of people connected but it was very bad for me. Other than that the rooms were great, staff were very friendly and helpful, also helped me out with some local lingo!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo