Griechenbeisl Inn
$213
Agoda.com
$255
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Food, service, atmosphere - very traditional. Food is very good. Restaurant is large, but made up of a series of small rooms so you have the feeling of an intimate setting. We were in the zither room, and our entertainment was an older gentleman who could play anything you wanted to hear on a zither, although he did favor the theme from "The Third Man"! Moderately expensive, but servings are enormous, so we probably ordered too much. Reservations are a good idea.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2012

The reservations were made by the reception personnel at our hotel and we were very surprised at the table we originally were seated at, especially since we're sure the hotel sends the restaurant a lot of customers. Our first table was in an area just past the bar that was basically the service area for the waiters as there was a computer terminal for entering orders and several trays of dirty dishes. There were two tables in this area and we were unfortunate enough to get one of them. After the bread was served I had to ask the waiter to please clear the trays of dirty dishes that were across from our table; this was very disappointing, especially since we knew that the dinner would end up running over $100 US. The waiter and other service personnel seemed upset that I had made this request, but they did clear the trays of dishes. The waiter did come back, after talking to the maitre d, and asked if we were not satisfied with the table, which we told him we were not. They did offer to show me other available tables in other rooms and we did change to a table in an upstairs room that was acceptable. As far as we could tell, the two tables in this service area were the only bad ones in the restaurant.
The food was very good - we both had wienerschnitzel - but it did seem a bit pricey. The service was very good after we had been re-seated, and the restaurant itself was interesting because of its history. It was just cool to be eating somewhere that had been there since the 14th century.
The ratings we give here are based on our experience after being re-seated; had we not been moved, they would have been much lower.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The location was full of charm and history. There was an inn at this location as mentioned in records from 1147. Frequented by Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms, Mark Twain, and many others who signed the walls in one room of the restaurant. The food was typical Austrian fare - the goulash was rich and tasty, and the three sausage meal was also good. The waiter was attentive, but not really friendly or funny as mentioned in other reviews. There were many locals eating there the night we went. It is called an Inn, but we only went for dinner.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2012

interesting, old Vienna - great service and interesting decor with excellent food. This is the first place in Vienna I would recommend visitors try.

Note this is not a hotel - tripadvisor needs to change classification. It evidently was an inn 4-500 years ago, but is now a restaurant.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We found out by trial and error that you really need to book here at weekends. We ended up eating here on a Sunday night, but the place was full and they were turning people away.

The decor and food are both traditional Austrian; meaty, carb-laden, hearty grub served in wood-pannelled surroundings by experienced waiters who may seem quite stern at first but are all quite humorous and friendly. I had a fantastic bowl of goulash soup and some of the best lamb cutlets I can remember having, perfectly cooked and encrusted with crunchy crystals of salt. My husband really enjoyed his schnitzel and between us we ate everything on our plates. A couple of glasses of schnapps, chosen with the sommelier's guidance, rounded off a great meal perfectly. The zither player in the next room added a suitably 'Harry Lime' touch to a fine Viennese evening.

My only criticism is that I hate having my wine glass refilled for me in restaurants, but the Griechenbeisl is one which prides itself on a certain mode of behaviour, so no way was I getting my hands on that decanter. I only had to be gently but firmly 'told' the once....

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple