“First class, but very unusual, hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of DO & CO Hotel Vienna

Ranked #33 of 367 Hotels in Vienna
Tel Aviv, Israel
“First class, but very unusual, hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights while visiting Vienna a couple weeks ago (July 2013).

First of all, location - the location is probably the best in all of Vienna, it's right in the middle of the city center, across from St. Stephen’s Cathedral and Stephansplatz. As soon as you exit the hotel you're in the middle of absolutely everything (cafes, shops and more).

This is not your typical 5 star hotel. When we entered the hotel, we were almost sure we came in through a back door entrance or something. Finally we saw a sign printed on a plain white piece of paper: "the reception is located on the 6th floor". So basically, the hotel entrance is on street level, and the rooms levels are UNDER the reception. It's ok, just not a very warm welcome and a bit strange. Especially with no door man or hotel representative greeting you at the entrance.

The lobby is also a bit strange. Most of the floor is occupied by the hotel bar, which is a very busy place at night the "lobby" is surrounded by people who are out clubbing and aren't hotel guests. Also, there is about 1 (one) single chair to sit on at the lobby - so not really a place to relax and have a drink before / after going out. Also, if you call the front desk at night to request something, he might have a hard time hearing you because of the noise from the bar - ANNOYING!

The rooms are VERY nice, modern (Bang & Olufsen TV and cordless phone) and spacious. We were upgraded to a room facing Stephansplatz which is a very busy street. Although our room was on the 3rd floor, you could not hear a thing with the windows closed (important to me since I'm a light sleeper). The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was super clean. Also, the shower is very cool and fun - it's all clear glass in the middle of the room, but you can move a privacy wall to block it if you're uncomfortable. Also, cakes and treats served daily from the famous Cafe Demel in Vienna.

Breakfast was also superb, freshly baked breads, omelets made to order, freshly squeezed juices (orange, banana, grapefruit...).

No fitness center at the hotel, but they gave us free vouchers to a gym about 7 min walking distance.

The service here is first class and the staff is extremely friendly and helpful.

This is a great hotel, but might not be for everyone. We might look into something more relaxed and traditional if we come back to Vienna.

Room Tip: Get a room facing Stephansplatz - very fun to see all the action up close
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ayalm
MichaelSpangl, Director of Sales at DO & CO Hotel Vienna, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Ayalm,

thanks for your kind review and for having chosen the DO & CO Hotel Vienna during your recent visit in our beautiful city.

Indeed our location is the very best and you can watch all the tourist and business on St. Stephens Square. Due to this we have decided to move the lobby on 6th floor and away from ground floor. We tried to provide our guests the feeling that the check in and move around "above the masses". Of course our doorman crew should be at ground floor opening the door and assisting you with the luggage. It might happen, that they are somewhere around in the hotel doing jobs for guest like parking cars, taking care on the luggage etc.

I truly hope that you will not chose a traditional hotel when you are in Vienna again because where ever you move around in our city, there is tradition anyway. So isn't great being in a unusual contemporary hotel with outstanding service and when ever you look out of the window, you see tradition and history around you?

Director of Businsess Development
DO & CO Hotel Vienna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

This hotel is as amazing as it looks in the photos. The views of St Stephens are fantastic from the bar and rooftop restaurant. Bedrooms are brilliantly designed, shower excellent, beds comfortable and mini-bar not stupidly expensive! Just expensive! The only negative was the attitude of the staff. Sometime people seem too cool to smile or be polite - well it felt like that here. I think it's a haunt for the uber-cool Viennese and regular folk may feel a little ordinary! Other than that it's excellent.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Ty G!

thanks for taking time to share your expriences you made during your recent stay with us. We feel very happy that you have enjoyed your time with us and we were able to fulfil your exectations. Indeed both our bars (the mini & the maxi bar) in our rooms are very well equipped and not stupidly expensive. We think it makes more sense to sell the mini bar with rates that are worth for you and for us of course.

Please accept my sincere apologise for the attitude of our staff. This is totally not our style. In our hotel everybody is welcome and we treat everybody same. You are our guests and we are your hosts so we need to do our utmost to make you feel happy. This beginns with the greating already because we all know that "you never get a second chance for the first impression".

I truly hope that you will consider the DO & CO Hotel Vienna in the future again and please feel free contacting me personally at any time so I can take care on your reservations.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

I heard of this hotel from a friend and since it was a short trip, I decided to stay there given the fact that it is in the center of the city. I was surprised to notice that the underground station is under the hotel, and the door access is in the same building.
The hotel is just amazing. Room design is quite modern and very elegant. Windows are facing Stephansplatz which provide you with a great view, day and night. Staff are very friendly, and the 6th floor lounge is super.
I had an indecent with laundry, but was surprised with how they reacted and the apology was unbelievable. I found an apology card with a bag filled with chocolates, since the 3rd part laundry company did not pick up the bags on the same day.

Room Tip: Make sure you pick or ask for a room that is facing Stephansplatz.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MichaelSpangl, Director of Sales at DO & CO Hotel Vienna, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Dear Hisham,

thanks for your fantastic review.

Indeed it's great having the Underground underneath the hotel. Even tough nearly all major sights are within walking distance you can reach Schönbrunn Castle by underground very easy from us :-)

Please excuse the matter with your laundry. I just had a talk to our front office manager and she confirmed to me again, that the laundry company hasn't picked up your clothes. But I hope the chocolate tastes good :-)

If you plan to visit Vienna again, please feel free contacting me directly at any time and I'll take care on your reservations personally.

Calgary, Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

I knew this hotel was centrally located, but that is an understatement. We were met at the airport by a driver who took us to the hotel area. As you cannot drive right up to the hotel, we were met by hotel staff to assist with luggage and direct us to check-in. I was lagging behind because even though it was late at night I had to take some photos. The ground level entry is unassuming, and the front desk is on the 6th floor. Our room on the 4th floor was lovely - small and beautifullly detailed. A lot of thought went into making everything fit beautifully and efficiently. St. Stephen's Cathedral was right outside our window. Service was excellent, and the breakfast buffet was outstanding. It was fantastic having breakfast on the balcony overlooking the plaza. The bar was lively with an incredible view. Staying there was a treat.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MichaelSpangl, Director of Sales at DO & CO Hotel Vienna, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you so much for this fantastic review! We are excited that you had a great time with us and we were able to fullfil all your wishes.

Of course we will share your comments with our entire team!

If you ever plan to visit Vienna again, please feel free contacting me personally at any time and I'll take care on your reservations.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

DO&CO is one of the best hotels we live. This is one of our favorite hotel in the world. Nice rooms are designed in a delightful style. The staff is pleasant and quite accomodating. There is a good restaurant with delicious cuisine and beautiful view. We stay at the hotel every time when we visit to Vienna.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MichaelSpangl, Director of Sales at DO & CO Hotel Vienna, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you so much for this fantastic comments! We feel more than happy that you enjoyed your stays with us and we are always able to fulfil all your expectations set into us!

Please feel free contacting me personally in the future so I may arrange a special rate for you and take care on your reservations personally.

Thanks and see you in Vienna

Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

Its one of the best hotels i live , its in the middle of the downtown in front of Cathedral , its have a nice bar and a good restaurant as well , usually i live there when i visit Vienna .

There is one bad thing that there is no enough complementary water in the rooms , and ask the hotel to offer for the guests that thing please .

Room Tip: I prefer Suite .
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your kind comments. We feel more than happy that we are your favourite hotel in Vienna.

Indeed our suites are outstanding and very special and we hope to have the chance welcoming you with us soon again.

Please be so kind and let me know directly as soon as you plan to visit Vienna again so I may take care on your reservations personally.

Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Right outside of st stephansplatz vienna, center of everywhere. I was going to sightsee with Vienna card and metro. When I got there, seeing the awesome location, I didn't even have to buy any metro ticket, and was able to walk. Mind you the walk was VERY nice too.
Giving the location is in the middle of the sq, it was not noisy at all at night.
Hotel staff was nice and helpful. Room was big (compare to a typical europe hotel), has everything you need, and did I mention the show was a rainfall shower head! To my suprise, they offer turndown service which they give you bottle water and petit chocolate. I don't usually drink water after dinner so I saved the bottle of water for my next day touring. Save some money in buying water.
I am very happy with the hotel!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MichaelSpangl, Director of Sales at DO & CO Hotel Vienna, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thanks so much for taking time sharing your experiences with us. We are more than happy that you have enjoyed your stay at the DO & CO Hotel Vienna. Our aim is to really be different and to suprise our guests. I think we made it with you as you liked the sweets and the free bottle of water at turn down service :-)

Please feel free contacting me personally if you ever plan to return to Vienna so I can take care on your reservations (but we have to find a new suprise for you :-))

Thanks and best regards from sunny Vienna