“Terrible and overpriced”

Do Step Inn
Ranked #18 of 219 Specialty Lodging in Vienna
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Two of us paid 116GBP for one room for 3 nights. For this, we got:

-2 TINY hand-towels (we were told towels would be supplied, and assumed it would be enough to shower with).
-A tiny room (prisoners get more space)
-Rude staff
-Shared kitchen full of dirty dishes
-No bin
-A broken fan
-A street right outside our window with noise all through the night (admittedly not entirely the hostel's fault, but the crappy fan meant we had to have the window wide open).
-The worst pillows I have ever had the misfortune of sleeping on. They were tiny (my head barely fit on one) and the pillow case was at least 3 times the size of it. I woke up with really bad neck ache and just chucked the pillows under the bed for the rest of the stay there.
-2 single bed duvets on a double bed. This does not work. If you have double bed rooms, why don't you have double bed duvets?? I don't understand.

I've stayed in hostels for 2 pounds a night that were better than this. Vienna is an expensive city in general but at least provide the service commensurate with the cost.

The only plus point is its close proximity (5-10 mins walk) to Westbahhof, which takes you to all the sights on the metro within minutes, and is also an international station, so handy if you are moving on to another country.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

A short walk from Vienna West, the hostel itself is detached from the mainly building and is situated around the corner.

Staff seemed friendly and helpful, though didn't experience it first hand.

We were welcomed with a choice a small glass of beer or water, which was nice.

Room was nothing special and was clean but quite hot.

Shared toilets and showers were pretty clean.

Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Nothing wrong here, but nothing particularly special about it.

We were staying in the hostel which was separate from the reception area, but it was only a short distance away. The room was slightly small and the bathrooms could have been cleaner, but they are shared between a lot of rooms so I wasnt surprised by the level of cleanliness.

The location of the hostel is okay - about 5 minutes from a metro station and very close to west bahnof, otherwise it's not too close to the centre.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

An absolutely fantastic experience. Free drink of either beer or wine upon arrival was such a great welcome and started off our Vienna stay greatly. Bedrooms good, toilets and showers immaculate and clean and super close to town and the train station. Well worth every cent!

Reviewed August 4, 2012

I thought the staff were particularly friendly, and the place wasn't bad. There is no wifi in the rooms though. I stayed in two different rooms - one private with 3 friends, and one shared with 3 randoms. The shared room was okay in the hostel, but the private room was a lot nicer and a lot more comfortable. Nice kitchen to cook and lots of area to chill.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2012 via mobile

We are a couple who stayed in a double room for 3 days
Like: Great location and kitchen. Reasonable price

Dislike: No wifi in room. APPROXIMATELY 30 OCCUPANT SHARE 2 showers

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I have been to quite a few hostels in Europe by now, and this one is one of the best I stayed at. I arrived quite early in Vienna ( 8am) and went straight to the hostel to leave my bag. There, I was welcomed by 2 very friendly girls at the reception, and offered a private single room for the price of the bed i had booked in a dorm :D Always nice when it happens! There are 2 buildings: the main building hosts the reception, as well as a computer lounge, a storage area for luggage, and rooms, kitchens and bathrooms. The second building, only a 2min walk away, was the one where I was staying.
The room was really really nice and comfy, the bathroom clean, the kitchen very well organised and relatively tidy, compared to the other hostels I have been to.
The computer lounge had 4 PCs and therefore meant you usually did not have to wait to get one.
The storage area for luggage was really cleverly arrange with both an open space for big suitcases, and lockers in which you could keep your smaller bags safe - you had to use your own padlock though, something which I always bring with me when I travel anyway.
Regarding the location, it is really good: despite not being in the historical centre, it is located next to the Westbahnhof train station, and more particularly the Mariahilferstrasse, which is a long shopping avenue linking the station to the historical old town.
What more, I booked my bed via hostelworld.com and got a discounted price: in the end, 2 nights in Vienna cost me 22€ !This is usually the price you get for one night in such a big and expensive city.
I had a great experience in this hostel and will definitely stay there the next time I go to Vienna!

Room Tip: Bring a padlock with you.