Tripadvisor

from $59.53
from $41.84
from $38.59
5,343 results
All reviews city hall film festival christmas market beautiful building ice skating big screen mulled wine gothic style free tour in december amazing architecture audio guide stalls christkindlmarkt circus gluhwein backdrop
Selected filters
Reviewed January 15, 2020

Before you visit the City Hall be sure to visit their site! They have an English page, as well as those in Turkish and former Yugoslavia languages.
I can’t remember where I heard that the Rathaus holds guided tours at 1 p.m.; anyway, on my very first day in Vienna I duly arrived there – just to find a few dozens of tourists in their lobby, just as wise, and a sign saying ‘Tour Complete’!
It turned out that, while the tour is free, I had to get a ticket, and they start distributing those at 7.30 a.m.!
The lucky early birds then queued up for an audio-guide. To get it you need a piece of identity to leave it as a collateral, or cash, can’t say, how much exactly, because it didn’t come to the audio-guide for me either. One cannot just wander around, audio- or not, but one has to be part of an accompanied group, and the space is limited. Well, I can surely understand that; after all, it’s not a museum, but a functioning public office, I’ve seen locals coming and going.
Can’t say I was particularly upset. I had made a few photos of the Rathaus at night, indeed it looks like a fairy-tale castle, even though it’s hardly 150 years old. The lobby makes quite a sight, too, especially with sort of a ‘museum corner’ at the entrance.
If you turn round the corner, you’ll find the Rathaus Cellar, I suppose it’s a very upscale restaurant, as for their numerous personnel there were no customers at all!
Two points, however, made this visit worthwhile for me:
The lobby has loads of information about Vienna in various languages, and on various subjects. Among them I spotted a booklet on the ‘Democracy District’ or something, in plain language, the parliament. They, too, have guided tours, and that looked even more interesting for me, I like that sort of everyday experience, it helps to see how people really have it there. I’ll tell you what came of it on the Austrian Parliament’s page (if I find it :))
The second point was more practical :). In winter you have to look for a public bathroom oftener than in a more agreeable summer weather; luckily for us tourists, there is one to be found directly behind the exit, first turn right. And no queue! – Otherwise, frankly, I nearly came to think there isn’t a single door in Vienna that has no queue in front of it :):)

Date of experience: January 2020
1  Thank MuscoviteVT
Reviewed January 12, 2020

Vienna always very beautiful but specially at Christmas holidays time. Within the walking distance there are several Christmas markets and our favorite was the Rathaus market.

Date of experience: December 2019
Reviewed January 9, 2020

a very beautiful building and architecture. an exhibition was going on at that time. clean garden and walkway.

Date of experience: October 2019
Reviewed January 9, 2020 via mobile

One of the most beautiful Christmas market, led light decoration, atmosphere is fantastic even in cold weather

Date of experience: December 2019
Reviewed January 9, 2020

I had no business to conduct, and went merely to view the impressive edifice as an architectural site. Beautiful building!

Date of experience: July 2019