“Wonderful Small Luxury Hotel in Mueseum District”
Review of Hotel Das Tyrol

Hotel Das Tyrol
Ranked #4 of 358 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We spent three nights at the Das Tyro in early July. Wonderful hotel in the museum district. Close to the metro which provides easy access to all the sights in the city – and it’s just a short walk to the city center with all its shops and restaurants. The hotel is whimsical with all the Disney paintings on the walls. Very comfortable and quiet, our room was a very nice suite with a balcony - as my wife – as my wife and I sat out in the cool night air, drinking some fine Austrian wine with some bread and cheese, watching the sights of the street below pass by, we commented that it just doesn’t get any better than this. Our room was not completely ready at check in – no matter, there were some tasty pastries out for us to snack on for the few minutes it took to ready the room. The breakfast was great – eggs to order that came so quickly we considered waiting a bit to order the second morning. Lots of wonderful hot and cold items – all very good. Tip: at least at this time of the year, the seats by the window can get a bit toasty from the sun.
The “private’ sauna had us a bit confused until we found out that it is “private” because we had to make 1 or 2 hour reservations. There were always good open times for us, so reserving was not an issue. Once you enter the main room, you lock the door and the sauna, steam room, high tech shower and relaxation area is all yours without disruption. It was great fun to watch the fish in the large salt water aquarium before and after trips to the sauna.

The desk staff were all incredibly pleasant and extremely helpful – and since it appears the owner lives on premises you knew there was a watchful eye close. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Suites have balconies - worth the extra cost
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pat22202
Write a ReviewReviews (1,536)

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Based on reviews in Tripadvisor my husband and me (~40 y) selected this hotel as we wanted a good location, a smallish hotel with all comforts. And just as the other reviewers we can confirm that it is a great location, great hotel and no noises at all. We recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This hotel is amazing. Brilliant location right next to Museum Quarter (and lots of shopping).
The room was small but exceptionally well appointed: flat screen, fridge, safe, nespresso machince, cupboards, chair, desk, phone, full range of toiletries, slippers, robes etc.
The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was quite large (for a hotel room). Free wifi with great signal in the room. Breakfast was good with a good range of items.
The staff were amazing - really friendly and helful.
Absolutely recommend it!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Earlier this month my husband and I (and an adult son in a separate room) stayed at Das Tyrol. I had selected this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews and I was not disappointed. The hotel is well located and with easy access to the Underground and buses.

The front desk staff are exceptional (and there 24x7--which was good as my son needed to leave for the airport at 5am--when they learned this they immediately offered to him him a boxed brunch to head off with and arranged for a taxi).

The staff speak good English, are prepared to recommend places to eat and visit (and for a processing fee with procure tickets, etc). Going through them for a taxi assures a clean cab and English speaking driver.

Breakfast offers a diverse choice of juices, cereals, pastries, cheeses, meats, etc. All displayed beautiful and staff offer eggs cooked to order and check to be sure you have want you want and need.

Rooms. We had a studio, our a son a regular room. Both beautifully decorated, with very quiet A/C, immaculately clean and with wonderful bathrooms. Although our studio fronted to a busy street, no street noise was heard. We liked the art work, and the old hotel, always shining and clean.

Unique works of art were everywhere ; regretting still not having gotten a picture of the glass totem pole of cats in the dining area.

While not offering meals/refreshments other than breakfast, there are many places close by. This is not meant to be a full service hotel, but a unique and luxurious boutique with the highest offerings in ambiance and service. In these respects it succeeds well.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor and experienced no A/C unit or other noises.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MaryRP
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My wife & I stayed here in June of 2013 for a short, 5 day vacation in Vienna. The hotel certainly lived up to its description as both "small" and "luxury". The location was grand, close to the center of the city but in an area without evening noise. The beds were extremely comfortable, the breakfast service each day outstanding, and the steam room/sauna in the basement was memorable. One of the best parts of the hotel was the staff. They were all very helpful and clearly committed to outstanding service for their customers. I find that this basic premise of good customer service to be missing in American hotel chains but here in Austria, the service is superb! The best of the best was Catherine, one of the front desk managers. She was present with a smile every day, spoke fabulous English with just a perfect touch of a German accent, and was ready with answers for any question, no matter how obscure. She helped make our stay at Das Tyrol a memorable one. We would certainly return to this hotel and recommend it without hesitation. My only criticism is that they allowed smoking in the lobby area. I haven't seen this in a number of years but I guess, unfortunately, second hand smoke is still part of European culture.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank norske007
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed here for a week in July, 2013. The name says it all. Small place, comfy room (#35). The shower was good. Breakfast was included. After breakfast, there is no other food/beverage service, but plenty of nearby places. Would stay here again over a more luxury full-service hotel.

Room Tip: No complaints with #35.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cuzi
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This was the midpoint of our trip and we were ready for some luxury. This hotel delivered. We received a wonderful greeting each time we passed the front desk. The breakfasts were the best, with incredible staff. Coffee appeared each day after I asked for it on our first day there, as my request was catalogued by the server. Great pastries, eggs made by request, and champagne chilled and waiting. Fantastic location, as it is close to the attractions, but away from the touristy parts of the city. Parking was easy, as I reserved in advance and my spot in the garage across the street was open and waiting. Needed to have laundry done and, while it was quite pricey, they did a great job. It was worth it to not have to check bags on the flights and only have to deal with small roll-ons. I didn't see any kids while we were there and my 18 year old long-locked son I was traveling with felt a bit unwelcome by some of our fellow diners at breakfast, but he was well behaved and even spoke German, so I just dismiss it as their problem. Certainly, the hotel welcomed us both! I wouldn't stay anywhere else on a return trip.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family