“lovely indeed!”

Ranked #2 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
bat54
“lovely indeed!”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

my husband and I stayed here for a night in early March. The hotel is well-loacted in museum quarter. The staff is terrifically helpful. The building is old, but it has been entirely modernized in a tasteful way.
The room was quite small but perfectly appointed. Sheer curtains with thicker terrific blackout curtains.
Good lighting, including a well postions reading light that won't disturb your partner if he goes to sleep. .
The room had two single beds right next to one another. (Later saw that the hotel has full/queen beds in larger corner rooms -- 15,25,35,45.. etc... [I looked in when we were checking out and the housekeeper was cleaning.]

The bathroom was sumptuous -- I like a bath and the bathtub was a deep, long porcelain one, my husband was happy with the shower ( in tub). The shampoo, body cream were lovely, great quality products.
Bedding is all down, a Nespresso machine in the room.
Fantastic sauna, steam and shower on basement level. gorgeously designed .

The breakfast is sensational-- whatever your eating habits -- fruit, healthy foods, veggies, cheeses, meat, eggs, sweet baked goods and whole grain breads. Excellent coffee, cappuccino.

Initially I was concerned that the room size would make me feel confined. but we were out and about quite a bit. In the morning, I would have happily lounged had our schedule allowed.. the luxurious quality of the beds, bedding was great. I'd rebook on the next trip and request a corner room.

Oh, and the location is right on Mariahilfer Strasse, near a subway. But the rooms were completely quiet, facing a side street.
Nice neighbor, too.

Room Tip: corner rooms seem to be more spacious and quite light -- and have double/queen beds -- e.g. rooms...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
montreal
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We were there for 5 nights at the beginning of March. Small hotel near the Museum Quartier,you can walk to most sites if not Metro and tram are about 3 minutes away. The buffet breakfast is very good with eggs and omelettes on demand. This is the first and only hotel I have been that for 5 nights I did not hearded a sound and the hotel was not empty. You can borrow and Ipad free of charge. My only critique would be about the bedding 2 small braids for a queen bed. I want to thank Bettina for her good advice and the way she welcomed us.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank thebeach2004
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed in the hotel for 5 nights, in one of the deluxe studio rooms. The decor is really nice, the bathroom new and state of the art, the bed is wide and comfortable.
Breakfast is served in a very nice and intimate breakfast room, it is complete and with good products. The whole hotel is decorated with attention to every detail, in a very personal style.
The hotel is conveniently situated on Mariahilfer St. near the Museum Quartier and the shops of Mariahilfer St. The personnel was helpful and cordial.
There is a beautiful sauna and bathroom in the basement, to be used by appointment.
Compared with the big hotels it has a great price for what you get.
For me it was the perfect European small luxury hotel, and I intend to return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Sydney
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We recently had 3 nights here (mid February) and would definitely recommend Das Tyrol. We arrived at about 9am via the night train from Venice, only expecting to be able to leave our bags and check in later. However, a studio room was available for us within 20 minutes and coffee was brought to us in the lobby while we waited (in fact, we found all the staff delightful and helpful, whether being assisted with bags or recommendations for restaurants). The daily breakfast was one of the nicest we've experienced - a very extensive array of buffet items and eggs cooked to order. The room was contemporary and well-appointed and a pleasure to come back to at the end of the day. Das Tyrol is ideally placed for walking to all the attractions in the historic and museum district and we were easily able to access the public transport for longer trips. This was my first trip to Vienna and the Das Tyrol Hotel definitely added to my appreciation of this delightful city.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank KAliceF
New York, NY
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I just stayed at Hotel Das Tyrol for 4 days and loved it! I fortunately ended up booking this hotel as another Trip Advisor recommended hotel near a major Vienna Cathedral landmark accidentally messed up the dates of my reservation. As it turns out, this mistake was in my favor as this hotel was fantastic and the staff really is incredible! I honestly wouldn't stay anywhere else if in Vienna. The hotel is right off a main street in an area that is a shopping district for locals--a few tourist oriented shops but not as bad or tacky as near St Stephen's area. I actually had to look for Vienna postcards and I didn't really see many tourists. The hotel is small but not cramped--8 rooms per floor. My corner room (#45) was bright and quiet (faced the back) and large enough--small entry way with built-in wardrobe, desk/chair, queen bed, two chairs, table, small bureau with Nespresso machine, and two bed side tables. And the bathroom was large and had a great bathtub shower. The room is incredibly clean...you could eat off the floors. Breakfast is included and is quite extensive--eggs to order, bread, croissants, jams, meat, cheese, fruit, vegetables, many kinds of cereal, coffee/tea/juices etc. The breakfast room is very bright and cheerful with newspapers in several languages. For 7 euro you can get breakfast delivered to your room which is a good idea if you are jet lagged and oversleep the first day as breakfast is really over by 10ish. There is a spa room at the hotel--a sauna/steam room/shower--that is available to reserve privately for 1-2 hours up until midnight. I thought that was rather funny but after a full day of walking, the sauna was wonderful and clean and well stocked with towels. The hotel is decorated with quirky contemporary art. The hotel is located 2 blocks from the metro stop MuseumsQuartier--next to Leopold Museum and just down from the Natural History Museum and Kunsthistorisches Museum. About 10 minutes walk from the Hofburg and Lippazan Riding School. MuseumsQuartier has several museums with a lot of restaurants (Glacis Beisl has great traditional food) that are open late. Tons of restaurants and coffee places near the hotel including some great recommendations from the hotel staff for the Spittelberg area (La Boheme for Tafelspitz dinner). Yes there is a Starbucks, but it was full of local college students so again, it didn't feel touristy. I walked everywhere at night and took the metro alone back from St. Stephens without a problem. There is a taxi stand less than half a block from the hotel which I used when going to the opera and the main train station. The hotel staff was VERY helpful and friendly. They always greeted me by name and even had a tiny flowering plant for me from the hotel on my arrival Valentine's day. The staff also recommended wonderful museums and places to eat. They looked up opening times for Schonbrunn Palace for me and were able to answer a question I had about directions etc. I saw some of the staff talking to other guests and they made everyone feel special. Between the great staff and comfortable and clean room, I am so happy the other hotel made a mistake. I really look forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel for quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank jlmcc
Reviewed February 23, 2013

i have just had four days at this hotel and found it to be great. i think it is really good value for the price.The staff were very helpful and very friendly. My room was very comfortable, good size,wonderful bathroom and very quiet. I walked everywhere from here but if i had needed to take public transport that would have been easy as was all around. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel for anyone who likes a bit of luxury but can't always afford luxury prices.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank samsamjane
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Very nice (but small) hotel, staff are REALLY friendly and nice. The hotel right off the main street by the museums quarters, the location is great, pretty much walking distance to a lot of the sites.
There are lots food around so you will never be starved. The room is very clean and cozy, small but definitely enough space. The bed, pillows, and covers are one of the most comfortable I've slept in, very soft and nice. breakfast was good, normal nothing too special or crazy. one thing is that sound proof not so good, especially if you are beside the stairs/elevator like me, can hear loud footsteps

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo