“Perfect place to stay”

Ranked #2 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Perfect place to stay”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

This hotel is a treasure. Located very close to the cultural heart of Vienna, but small enough not to be impersonal. The staff could not have been more helpful - they sorted out airport taxis, advised on problems and answered questions with care and courtesy. The spa in the basement is a wonderful way to relax after a hard day's tourism, and the buffet breakfast is delicious, plentiful and unrushed.

Room Tip: We had room 35, which although at the back (not facing the main road), has double aspect windows.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mark E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Wetherby, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Found this small luxury hotel, rooms immaculate and every comfort provided. This includes the most luxurious bookable sauna that I have ever experienced - sauna, steam room and massive marine aquarium - blissfully relaxing.

Room Tip: excellent continental breakfast selection, very well situated for shopping on Mariahilfer Strasse...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2012

All the staff were very helpful and responsive to our requests for assistance. The only slight drawback was that there was a member of staff on night shift whose English was less proficient than the rest of the team and he was less knowledgeable in providing tourist infromation. Nevertheless, he still tried his best to help with practical issues.

The decor of the hotel was tasteful and its buffet breakfast was lovely with great service. The location was central and convenient without the hussle and bussle of a downtown hotel. I really felt welcomed and at home at this hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms are not very big but they are with excellent facilities for a small hotel of this category...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Amy H
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 6, 2012

First off, I want to thank David and Bettina for their most excellent help at reception. They were always friendly, very accommodating, superbly helpful and supportive when we had concerns. When you stay in a nicer hotel, you expect great service, but that is not always the case. So I commend the staff in general for their warmth, helpfulness, and efforts to make our stay the best! We had a chance to speak with the hotel's owner, Helena, as she is on site and watchful of her staff and hotel. She was warm and supportive of our concerns as well.

The hotel is situated perfectly for the art and food lover. Transportation is plentiful and easy to use, even for those of us who don't speak German. People were uniformly kind and helpful on the street when asked for help, most speaking some, even great English.

I'm a bed critic--my scale 1-5 (1 cement, 5 like the womb). Only once have I rated a bed a 5, but the beds here are a 5+! We sleep with the window open, rain or shine, cold or warm and the comforter and mattress kept us warm and comfortable! The room (we had 2, one too close to the smoking rooms so we were moved upstairs where the air was clear) was reasonable in size and easy to move about it in. The artwork and finishing in the rooms was wonderful. The bathrooms get another 5 for space, comfort, large shower, and amenities (best soap/shampoo products ever). There was plenty of room for our clothing, and since we were at the hotel for nearly a week, we unpacked. We took advantage of the in-room tea/coffee machine and often put food we picked up during our day for snacks in the fridge. It felt like home-away-from-home.

Breakfast was the best we've ever had in Europe! The choices of cereals, meats, cheeses, pastries, teas, coffees, yogurts, seeds to add to cereals, and omelets were perfection! The room is warm, the women in charge cheerful and very hard-working, and the table was always clean, with fresh linens.

I rated this hotel with a perfect score, because it is one of the 3 best hotels we've ever stayed at, but my experience was not perfect. My disappointments are very personal and would not be a problem for 98% of the people who stay at this hotel, and I want to be clear about that. I have asthma and the piped in potpourri used to mask the cigarette smoke and cooking eggs smells got to me. I found it difficult to breathe in the halls, elevator, lobby and breakfast room. I understand that this scented air was meant to be helpful to guests, but it made me ill. We were told that if it was possible, the owner would get the machine pumping the floral smell stopped during our stay, but that never happened. It's understandable that the owner was thinking of the majority of her clientele and I was only one of them. The other problem was not the hotel's fault in the least--it's located in a popular nightspot area, so nightly after 2300 hrs, the air was filled with the sound of people fighting, shouting, laughing and driving motorcycles and fast cars which kept us waking. As I said, we sleep with the window open which was essential for me due to the potpourri and cigarette smoke, so it was our problem. When the window was closed, the sounds were very muffled and would not bother hotel guests I'm sure.

I highly recommend this hotel, especially for couples, and small groups of three and four travelers. I consider it value for the money since the Das Tyrol experience is priceless!

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back of the hotel, off the street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BritFrenchPol
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Unfortunately, we only had one night to spend in the beautiful city of Vienna and chose the Das Tyrol hotel. We were not disappointed, it was as it says a "Small Luxury hotel". The reception staff were always on hand to answer any questions, politely and efficiently. Our room was on the third floor next to the elevator which was a cause for concern but we were assured that we would not hear it and right enough, when we eventually got to bet late in the evening, we were not aware of any movement or noise.
We didn't have time to try the spa/sauna area, but it looked very good, maybe next time and there will be a next time.
The location was central and a stone throw from the Museum quarter which was breath-taking. As a city, Vienna has everything and to stay in this little jewel makes it all the more special.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Carshalton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2012

My friend and I stayed at this wonderful quality hotel from October 26th to October 30th in 2012. As soon as we walked into the reception, we were in heavens! The interior decor was tastefully decorated with warm colour and drawings. The sofas were nicely placed which made a small reception looked spacious. If you looked through a narrow passageway, on your right, there was a small lift which was made of iron I think. It served its purpose especially if you had large pieces of luggage. Past the lift was the dining room which served as our breakfast room. Again this small room was tastefully decorated with ornaments and the color decor was just right for the purpose of this room. There were newspapers and magazines on the side table for us to read as we enjoyed our tea and coffee. Breakfast was continental but there were a variety of cheese and salad and also different kinds of bread. Hot water was served from a flask which was switched on. However, for a tea lover, the water was not always hot enough. This was a minor issue which was compensated by a variety of fruit drinks. You could order ormellete from the small menu on the table. There were about 7 tables in that room which did not make the room look overcrowded. Upstairs, our bed room was on the 5th floor. We had a set of twin beds which were very comfortable. Again the room was tastefully and warmly decorated and furnished. We had a choice of heating or cool air because we could open the windows for fresh air. The bathroom was quite spacious, warm and very very clean and odourless. We had free wifi and a good television too. There were tea and coffee-making facilities with a fresh supply every day. There was always a chocolate sweet on the bed everyday! Downstairs in the basement, the lady's toilet was breath-taking. I have never seen such elaborate decorated toilet. The toilet bowl and wash basin were made of crocodile pattern of red small ceremic tiles. You have to see it yourself to appreciate this. It took me a little while to work out how to turn on the taps though. You just pressed the button on the right hand knob at the bottom at the back and the water would come out. Pressed the same spot to turn it off!

The staff at the hotel were fantastic! We specially thanked Bettina, Quillermo and supervisor Lajos for the help and support they gave us, especially for me during our stay there. Of course we also want to thank other staff at the hotel too. The problem I encountered and for which I received support from the hotel staff, was that I had a very valid Vienna Card purchased from the hotel which was valid for three days. However, I had no idea that I had inadvertently invalidated it by putiing it in the validating machine four of five times at the same time. There was no instruction on the machine or the ticket to tell us how we should use the machine! There was no warning given on either of these to say that we must punch it only once to get the starting date. There was no warning to say that if we pucnhed the ticket more than once and if the starting date on it was not clear, it would invalidate it! I had thought the machine worked like those in the UK whereby we put the card in and the machine spat it out again. However to my cost, it did not work like that in Vienna. It transpired that by putting it in the machine four or five times, it caused the valid dates to be smudged. On our second day, a man came onto the train and asked to inspect our tickets. He did not wear any uniform, just a badge. I gave him mine but he said he could not read the dates and therefore the card was invalid! My friend's card was also invalidated because she had punched it twice. He asked us to get off the train immediately. He let her off from paying the fine because he could read the date on it. He refused to listen to my reasons and my friend's validation. My friend told him that she bought our tickets and we went everywhere together, so my ticket was as valid as hers. He said he could not read the date on my card. I argued that the fact that the dates were smudged on my card did not equate to invalidation. His companion then came up to me with a card machine. I refused to use my cash card as I didn't know who he was! The first man fined me on the spot 100 Euros. He took away my card too so I was unable to travel back to our hotel using my card! He threatened to make my friend pay too if I continued to argue with him! He said he let her off paying the fine because he was 'nice', this I took to mean that he was not 'nice' to me and I told him so. He gave me a one-way ticket but I could not read German on the ticket and I was not sure if he was who he said he was although he had an ID card on him. He reluctantly showed me his ID card after my repeated requests. I asked him to accompany me to go up to see the manager at the train station. He refused. I asked for a photocopy of my ticket. He also refused. I know that he was doing his job but I wished that he could have been more courteous and more sympathetic to a visitor to his country who had just arrived and tried to get to know the ins and outs of Vienna. When I reported this unjust and unsympathetic treatment of me to our hotel, the staff were very sympathetic and they are now trying to sort this matter with the company which issued the Vienna Cards. The hotel assured me that they would try to get the company to refund me. I wonder if any of the trip adviser readers have similar experience to mine?

To conclude this review, we highly recommend this hotel to all who want to see Vienna in depth. It is very convenient to train stations and central Vienna.
Thank you to you all staff at this hotel! Sarah Li

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor gives you a nice view of the main streets. It is very quiet. Be careful when...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank 125wai
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Das Tyrol is a lovely small hotel, very centrally located and easy walking distance to the old town center and museum quarter. Staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. They even organized us an early breakfast when we had to leave early for a tour to Prague. Very nice breakfasts as well. Rooms were nice but I just dont like the 2 single beds joined together to make a big bed which seems to be a European thing. Not too bad if they give you one big doona rather than separate blankets but thats a personal thing. Other than that, excellent.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple